Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 18 2012, 12:20 AM   #361
Dream
Admiral

Re: Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray Audio Issues

Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
there's an outer cardboard? wow the copy i got from amazon only was the actual disc container.
That's the worst thing about Amazon, sometimes they don't bother sending you the cardboard sleeve along your dvd/bluray purchase. You have to buy it at a store if you want to make sure to get the sleeve.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 03:49 AM   #362
Mr_Homn
Captain

Dream wrote: View Post
there's an outer cardboard? wow the copy i got from amazon only was the actual disc container.
That's the worst thing about Amazon, sometimes they don't bother sending you the cardboard sleeve along your dvd/bluray purchase. You have to buy it at a store if you want to make sure to get the sleeve.

Yes this is annoying. Think I should try emailing them about sending me my damn cover? Now my sets wont match ;(

Then again im pretty sure I lost my tos.blu ray outer cover, so im pretty sure im not worthy anyway
Old September 18 2012, 03:54 AM   #363
Dream
Admiral

Yes this is annoying. Think I should try emailing them about sending me my damn cover? Now my sets wont match ;(

Then again im pretty sure I lost my tos.blu ray outer cover, so im pretty sure im not worthy anyway
Yes, you definitely should email them. You spent your money to buy the thing, and you deserve to get everything including the sleeve.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 12:14 PM   #364
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

I hate those cardboard sleeves I always stick them straight into the recycling.
Pindar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 02:25 PM   #365
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Yeah, the cardboard sleeve is annoying and I always toss it.
Old September 18 2012, 05:19 PM   #366
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Pindar wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
You bin 'em! Really? Totally respect your opinions, but I feel the card slips add a lovely touch of class to the packaging. Not as attractive as some of the steelbooks I have on my shelf, but appreciated nevertheless.
Old September 18 2012, 05:23 PM   #367
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

There's no reason to keep it. The information and picture on it is usually the same as the box itself and, really, it's just a hindrance to get to the actual discs. A pointless hindrance.
Old September 18 2012, 09:21 PM   #368
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
You bin 'em! Really? Totally respect your opinions, but I feel the card slips add a lovely touch of class to the packaging. Not as attractive as some of the steelbooks I have on my shelf, but appreciated nevertheless.
They really bug me. Partly because the are a total waste of resources and partly because they slow down getting into the disks.
Pindar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 09:52 PM   #369
M
Vice Admiral

Totally with you on this one. Personally, I could never throw away the package! It's part of the whole thing and adds to the feeling that it is something special. And honestly, how long does it really take you to take the box out of the sleeves?

Maybe it has something to do with me being a graphic designer. I could never throw away a beautifully designed piece of paper. Something another designer probably spent a lot of time working on it.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 10:29 PM   #370
Mott the barber
Commodore

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
Totally with you on this one. Personally, I could never throw away the package! It's part of the whole thing and adds to the feeling that it is something special. And honestly, how long does it really take you to take the box out of the sleeves?

Maybe it has something to do with me being a graphic designer. I could never throw away a beautifully designed piece of paper. Something another designer probably spent a lot of time working on it.
I keep the sleeve too. I think of it as part of the total package.
Old September 18 2012, 10:36 PM   #371
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

I guess "throwing it out" is over stating things. It gets boxed with a bunch of other keepsake stuff that I have no active need for. The sleeve really is useless when it comes to the DVD box and more gets in the way than it add anything to the box. It's not like a box-sleeve that many other DVD sets comes with where the boxes contains the folder/book of discs like the other series have.

This, however, like all BDs these days is just a box that covers a standard Blu-Ray version of an Alpha Case.

It serves no function other than to get in the way. Much like the dust-jacket of books which I'm also not much a fan of.
Old September 18 2012, 10:46 PM   #372
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post

"The Downmix to Stereo section of this panel allows the user to specify the appropriate parameters for the downmix as shown in Figure 7-18 ... The values specified for the L, R, C, LFE, Ls and Rs denote their respective contributions to the output mix for the Left and Right stereo channels."
The quality of the audio sent over analog RCA jacks depends, of course, on the quality of the digital-to-analog converter in the player. I agree that it certainly can sound just as good over analog cables... but then again, I never said it couldn't.
They can be, but most of the time they aren't, or the person doing the encode, especially on a disc where there is already a seperate 2.0 track, just throws a bunch of numbers into the section. And the TNG discs have not had their 7.1 mixes encoded for 2.0 mixdown; the encoders have left that up to the machine to do, just as Blu-ray and DVD players have been doing since 1997 with DD or DTS 6/5.1 mixes. So with the TNG sets you are losing information, just like you were if you listened to the 2002 5.1 mixes via the RCA connectors.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 12:53 AM   #373
NewHorizon
Captain

Finally received the 'correct' disc set from Amazon today. New Delta's were on the packaging, and all the discs have Delta's on them too. Bring on Season 2.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 12:13 PM   #374
Falcor5
Fleet Captain

I'm really frustrated with deluxe. Still have not received my discs despite requesting them on Aug 2nd. I called and they just said it could take up to a month so not to worry until then. But seems like everyone else has already received them.
Falcor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 02:34 PM   #375
NewHorizon
Captain

Falcor5 wrote: View Post
I'm really frustrated with deluxe. Still have not received my discs despite requesting them on Aug 2nd. I called and they just said it could take up to a month so not to worry until then. But seems like everyone else has already received them.
I wouldn't worry about them too much. They're slow. I only received mine on Monday.

Where did you buy your set? Will they not exchange them?
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote