To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 17 2012, 02:16 PM   #631
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

Re: General Pro Wrestling News and Discussion Thread Part Deux!

Punk vs Cena went on far too long, Cena just hasn't got the conditioning to wrestle matches of that length, nor keep up with the superiorly conditioned CM Punk. I'm not saying the match was bad, it was enjoyable, but it didn't do much where John Cena was concerned. I actually cringed at the top-rope German suplex, the landing looked dangerous, although clearly, it was designed so that Cena would go into the bridge with both his shoulders on the mat.

The false finish was straight out of the book of WWF 2000, in which the WWE Championship "changed hands" on more than one occasion, only for the referee to reverse the decision or declare that both men's shoulders were on the mat, etc.

Not even a hometown crowd could save Cena (as I predicted). He received a mixed reaction (I'd say 45% cheers 55% boo's) from bell to bell. Not even CM Punk's masterful command of the heel archetype could sway the crowd to favour Cena. I think WWE should just accept defeat where promoting black and white characters is concerned. It all began with the nWo and Steve Austin, and it's not going to go away.

I'm surprised Eve walked out as Divas Champion, it would seem the office is still really high on her. If I were booking, I'd have Aksana (can she even wrestle?) take the Diva dukes, and reign supreme alongside Antonio Cesaro as a classic power couple. It would enhance both of them, in that McMahon/Helmsley style of 2000.

All in all, NOC was a decent effort from WWE.

Oh, by the way! When Kane decides to retire from in-ring competition, he should seriously consider sketch comedy. That guy is absolutely hilarious when he's allowed to be! Both Kane and Daniel Bryan are going to go to the moon if the performance quality remains at the same high level.

Last edited by Mr Silver; September 17 2012 at 02:28 PM.
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 03:02 PM   #632
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Your right Admira,l Kanes yelling out, I'm going to DisnyLand, was priceless and by far my favorite moment of the show.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 08:41 PM   #633
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

Kane is often singled out by the boys as one of the smartest and funniest guys on the roster.
Old September 18 2012, 01:01 AM   #634
Ghost Bones
Captain

Kane's a real renaissance man in wrestling terms. A man who (dentist gimmick notwithstanding) was originally brought in to play a silent, masked monster has since been able to perfectly turn his hand to absolute psychopath immediately following his unmasking, a quite Shakespearian turn while World Heavyweight Champion and now doing the best comedy the company's put out in a very long time.
Old September 18 2012, 09:02 AM   #635
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

I AM the Tag Team CHAMPIONS!
Old September 18 2012, 07:02 PM   #636
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ That was pretty entertaining. Kane has always been good at doing comedy segments. Even without speaking, just reacting.

WWE.com has reported this morning that John Cena underwent elbow surgery to remove bone chips. He will be out four to six weeks.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 07:07 PM   #637
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
WWE.com has reported this morning that John Cena underwent elbow surgery to remove bone chips. He will be out four to six weeks.
I've just been reading that myself.

I have a feeling that Cena will still appear in a non-wrestling capacity, regardless of whether he's injured or not. Hell, Cena's rate of recovery is superhuman. His last "big" injury in 2008 - in where he suffered some kind of neck injury, only forced him out of action for 4 months.

Four to Six weeks? I'd say three, and he'll still make the Hell In A Cell main event.
Old September 18 2012, 07:57 PM   #638
Delsaber
Commodore

Ideally, Creative should use this time to develop Punk's heel persona in a way that isn't intrinsically tied to "whatever John Cena is up to at the moment." They might not get too many more chances like this, between how rare Cena's injuries/hiatuses have been and how difficult a time they've had turning Punk completely.

...hey, it's a nice dream to have, right? Right up there with "AJ + AC/DC schoolboy costume + Gatorade."
Old September 18 2012, 09:41 PM   #639
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

Delsaber wrote: View Post
Right up there with "AJ + AC/DC schoolboy costume + Gatorade."

AJ doesn't really do it for me, but it's good to dream!
Old September 18 2012, 09:44 PM   #640
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Wasn't Cena reported injured last year? I seem to remember we had a big discussion in the original thread about WWE getting Cena time off and all agreeing (for once lol) that wouldn't happen. They just rely on him too much to take him off camera for too long.

Old September 18 2012, 09:48 PM   #641
Delsaber
Commodore

Very true, unfortunately. If he didn't take any time away to deal with his divorce situation, an elbow injury isn't going to sideline him either. Gotta sell those shirts, right?

A quick aside: any and all future injuries should get the "RNN updates" treatment.
Old September 19 2012, 12:35 AM   #642
Delsaber
Commodore

BTW, anyone here read Brandon Stroud's Best/Worst of RAW column? It's one of the highlights of my week at this point. Which I suppose gives you an idea of how most of my weeks tend to go.
Old September 19 2012, 04:43 AM   #643
Ghost Bones
Captain

Well assuming Cena is out, who ought to face Punk at HiaC? Contrary to its arbitrary placement, I like to think the match should require a little history between competitors. Randy Orton maybe?
Old September 19 2012, 04:48 AM   #644
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I would be interested in a Randy Orton/Punk feud. Anyone else find the Punk "Satan" promo video they ran last night during Raw interesting? An indication of where they're taking Punk during his heel turn I suppose.

Old September 19 2012, 05:13 AM   #645
Delsaber
Commodore

I suppose with Punk all heel'd-up, Orton would be the natural second choice for a Cell opponent with Cena out of the picture. However, I believe Orton is off to shoot a movie soon. I assume that's also the reason why he was put over Ziggler on Sunday; at least, I can't think of any other purpose for that booking.

Chances are Cena will work Hell in the Cell regardless of the elbow. As much as I don't really care to see Punk/Cena go on too much longer, there's not really enough time to throw together a decent fallback option.