Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 18 2012, 04:49 AM   #106
Jimi_James
Lieutenant Commander

View Jimi_James's Twitter Profile
Re: The Revolution pilot is online now...

It was ok, not terrible but definitely lacking in most areas. The pilot/first episode felt entirely rushed and could have benefited greatly from being two hours, rather than just the one. They glossed over things that I would have liked to have seen them spend more time on; such as the build up to and duration of the 'collapse', some more time with the father so that we actually care about him and therefore the daughters ultimate quest, as well as the trip from the camp to Chicago and their time their in the city beyond that one hotel....they could have even just spent more time there in the camp setting up the world, before thrusting everyone into the trip before the second commercial break.

They ran through enough plot in one episode, that a good writer could have developed and stretched out for most of the season. It might get better, but I don't expect great things from it, which goes for most network tv these days. Cable is where it's at. Now I'm just waiting for HBO to latch onto the sci-fi bandwagon.

My YouTube Gaming Channel
Jimi_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 05:18 AM   #107
UssGlenn
Captain

my guess is the power outage has something to do with nullifying magnetic fields. Something is preventing the induction of an electric current when moving a conductor through a magnetic field. That means no electric generators, no spark plugs in cars, nothing to run the fuel pumps in the planes or in modern diesel engines. Chemical batteries could still hold power however, so you would have to say that there is nothing for them to run.
Old September 18 2012, 05:34 AM   #108
sojourner
Admiral

^Solar voltaic cells would still work, therefore you could charge batteries and still use most electronic devices.
Old September 18 2012, 07:09 AM   #109
AliciaD496
Fleet Captain

View AliciaD496's Twitter Profile

Watching the pilot "live" after having watched it online last week. The problems I saw last week are still there...

The frustrating lack of real explanation about 'the event' and why these usb/dongles work to counteract whatever happened. Also...I feel bad for anyone who depends on a pace maker or was on life support at the time of the black out, they probably died nearly immediately, possibly painfully if the functionality went in and out.

WHY did the plane suddenly 'fall'? That's not how inertia works! Unless that's how 'physics went crazy' but inertia seems to work fine for everything else later. I'm betting it's because it 'looked cool'.

Can't stand the Charlie character or the actress that plays her. She's just annoying and kind of naive, a stuck-up Katniss with a bit of Little Mermaid's Ariel with her collection of things from 'before'. That and the commercials I've seen where they have her character saying "When the world lost power I found mine". Pretentious, girl-power baiting when we see right from the pilot she still needs a man or someone to save her, whether it's Nate, her uncle or the doctor lady. She's a silly girl playing the grown-up's game that her father never got time to explain to her.

If we're going to be following Charlie and/or her brother throughout the series I give up here and now. Horrible acting, horrible characters.
AliciaD496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 07:26 AM   #110
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

What about all the men and women out there minutes to seconds away from climax betrayed by their stalled vibrator?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 07:30 AM   #111
Jimi_James
Lieutenant Commander

View Jimi_James's Twitter Profile

The gross inhumanity of such an injustice...it boggles the mind.

My YouTube Gaming Channel
Jimi_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 10:38 AM   #112
Dream
Admiral

Charlie was pretty hot. Too bad her acting wasn't that good. I hope she greatly improves in the next few episodes. Shows like this need amazing lead actors or supporting actors that steal the show. So far this show has none of that.

The rest of the story wasn't that interesting. I didn't come away caring about any of the characters, which is a big problem for these kind of heavy arc shows. The whole world looks too nice, everyone dressed like they had just been to the mall, and the story felt way too rushed. It would have been better if they hadn't arrived at Chicago in the middle of the first episode, but gotten there in two or three episodes. Getting there so quickly felt like they teleported to the location. Some more world building was in order.

That attempted rape scene was so badly done. If you are going to have one, have it at least make some kind of impact on the character attacked. Instead Charlie pretty much shrugged it off like it was nothing.

Looks like there is going to be a Charlie and militia boy romance. Boring.

LOST grabbed many viewers by the neck and stomped them repeatedly in the face with how awesome its pilot was. Revolution should have done the same instead of making me feel that these people were taking a casual stroll through the park.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 04:05 PM   #113
Tom
Rear Admiral

Also notice how clean our heroes are, there teeth all perfect, and there there clothes are all super clean with no holes, totaly unrealistic in that senario.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 04:53 PM   #114
Anwar
Vice Admiral

It's a conceit of network television. It was expected right from the start anyways.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 04:55 PM   #115
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
Also notice how clean our heroes are, there teeth all perfect, and there there clothes are all super clean with no holes, totaly unrealistic in that senario.
Anwar wrote: View Post
It's a conceit of network television. It was expected right from the start anyways.
Where's the connection between "network television" and "perfectly clean wardrobe"?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 04:58 PM   #116
Lonemagpie
Writer

It was better when it was called The Changes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cha...28TV_series%29

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 05:12 PM   #117
Ru ru, chu
Fleet Admiral

View Ru ru, chu's Twitter Profile

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Where's the connection between "network television" and "perfectly clean wardrobe"?
Because you know the network suits will never let their characters look too 'dirty' - everyone has to look good, else it would drive down ratings. Everyone has to be clean and photogenic. No one is ever dirty or ugly.
Old September 18 2012, 05:21 PM   #118
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Ratings go down when characters look dirty?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 06:09 PM   #119
Dream
Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Because you know the network suits will never let their characters look too 'dirty' - everyone has to look good, else it would drive down ratings. Everyone has to be clean and photogenic. No one is ever dirty or ugly.
The Walking Dead has one of the most dirty looking group of characters on television, and it always done very well in the ratings. Post-apocalyptic show done right.
Old September 18 2012, 06:26 PM   #120
Dream
Admiral

Ratings are in...

TV Ratings Monday: 'The Revolution' Premieres Big

The question now is will it be able to keep most of its audience in the next few weeks like Once Upon a Time and Grimm did last season?