RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,400
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 548
Newest member: space2050

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old September 14 2012, 08:20 PM   #106
Timo
Admiral

Re: A Warp Fighter

Hmm. We could speculate that whenever a warfleet from the eventual Federation member cultures slows down to impulse, it wants to deploy a protective screen of small craft, at any era (including those where the small craft are incapable of warp). Their role might simply be to be the first to get blown up by an approaching enemy, thus providing warning. Or, since they are (also?) deployed in the immediate vicinity of the fleet where they can provide no real advance warning, perhaps they rather serve to intercept small kamikaze craft or missiles in a second-to-last layer of defense.

The absence of such craft from Picard's "Redemption" fleet would simply emphasize that this was not a warfleet, not establish that fighters were unavailable or in disfavor in the 2360s.

Fast-moving raiding flotillas of Klingon battle cruisers or Romulan warbirds would be a somewhat different issue...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2012, 01:54 AM   #107
blssdwlf
Commodore

In the ENT-continuity were not the weapons ranges fairly short, even for the advanced Vulcans and Andorians? They might have had "advanced tech" relative to the Earth fleet, but with short weapons ranges having small fighting craft (like fighters) might be necessary for early stand-off.
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2012, 03:35 AM   #108
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Timo wrote: View Post
The absence of such craft from Picard's "Redemption" fleet would simply emphasize that this was not a warfleet, not establish that fighters were unavailable or in disfavor in the 2360s.
On the other hand, there are no fighters present in fleet actions against the Borg, not at Wolf 359 or again at the battle of Earth, despite the presence of the Akira class ships that in the latter case, ships that are supposedly designed as fighter carries.

Also of note is the lack of fighter craft by the joint Romulan/Cardassian fleet at the Battle of the Omarian Nebula. The closest thing the Alpha Quadrant forces had to a fighter in any of those engagements was the Defiant herself, and I've been saying for years that that's essentially what the Defiant is: a Federation heavy fighter.
Old September 15 2012, 03:39 AM   #109
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

blssdwlf wrote: View Post
In the ENT-continuity were not the weapons ranges fairly short, even for the advanced Vulcans and Andorians? They might have had "advanced tech" relative to the Earth fleet, but with short weapons ranges having small fighting craft (like fighters) might be necessary for early stand-off.
Only Starfleet's weapons ranges were ever stated canonically, and then only for plasma cannons, with an effective range of about 5km. Vulcans and Andorians both used some kind of heavy particle beams with ranges in the tens to hundreds of kilometers during the 22nd century.
Old September 15 2012, 09:34 PM   #110
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

One might argue that against an enemy like the Borg, Starfleet wouldn't bother deploying small craft like fighters against a cube that can shred capital ships easily. I've seen several different designations for the Akira class over time, and I don't know that the carrier function was ever established canonically (although it may be what John Eaves intended the Akira to be).

On a personal level, I've never been comfortable with the Romulan/Cardassian strategy against the Founders because its execution doesn't make sense to me. There doesn't seem to be a tactical need for fighters if it had worked as intended, and both groups seemed to think that a small fleet of 20 warships would succeed because they had cloaks, when it was known that the Dominion's tech could easily match or even surpass most AQ technology. The basic strategy of a surprise bombardment is fine, I just think they didn't have enough ships to cover the necessary contingencies.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2012, 12:42 AM   #111
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

newtype_alpha wrote: View Post
On the other hand, there are no fighters present in fleet actions against the Borg, not at Wolf 359 or again at the battle of Earth

It's impossible to know if fighter were or were not used at Wolf359, however they may have been tried in the defense of Earth's system in BoBW.

Admittedly it hard to said definitely what these are, but they easily could be fighters who fared no better than the larger ships.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2012, 01:51 AM   #112
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

^ And no worse, either.
Old September 16 2012, 06:53 PM   #113
Albertese
Commodore

Does anyone have pics of these models? The one's in T'Girl's post above; from BoBW?

I understand they were made of submarine kits and markers, but I'd love to get as closer look at them since it's hard to really see what they look like in their few seconds of screen time.

--Alex
Old September 17 2012, 06:38 PM   #114
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Admittedly it hard to said definitely what these are, but they easily could be fighters who fared no better than the larger ships.
Backstage sources suggest those were actually humongous anti-starship missiles, hence the reason they never bother to open fire. They were supposed to HIT the cube, not fire at it.

More to the point: we don't see any fighters engaging the Borg at the Battle of Earth years later in First Contact, despite the fact that the Akira class was supposedly designed as some kind of starfleet fighter carrier.
Old September 17 2012, 06:47 PM   #115
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Backstage sources suggest those were actually humongous anti-starship missiles, hence the reason they never bother to open fire. They were supposed to HIT the cube, not fire at it.
In that case, they probably should have made the model more cylindrical and less like a Y-Wing knockoff.
Old September 18 2012, 03:29 AM   #116
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

They WERE cylindrical. The protrusions on the sides of the hull were supposed to be warp nacelles; each one of those pods would have been almost as large as a Klingon bird of prey.
Old September 18 2012, 03:34 AM   #117
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

They WERE cylindrical. The protrusions on the sides of the hull were supposed to be warp nacelles; each one of those pods would have been almost as large as a Klingon bird of prey.
I meant more like a rocket, without additional nacelles [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGM-25C_Titan_II].
Old September 18 2012, 02:14 PM   #118
Timo
Admiral

A missile capable of warp would be a fairly natural thing for Starfleet to have, though - and warp capacity for Starfleet hardware is generally indicated by the presence of nacelles.

Cardassians, of course, needed no stinking nacelles for their warp-capable missile. Then again, their ships don't use nacelles, either.

I'm sort of fancying a compromise interpretation here: those things in "BoBW" could well be former small starships, of "corvette" or "patrol boat" size judging by how they aren't invisibly small against the multi-kilometer Cube - but converted into suicide drones by removal of crew and addition of explosives. We do see the exact same design up close in "New Ground", after all, serving as a test vessel for the warp soliton, and the detailing there suggests a relatively substantial craft or vessel. (Also note the cameo in the "Unification" junkyard!)

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 05:49 PM   #119
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

A missile capable of warp would be a fairly natural thing for Starfleet to have, though - and warp capacity for Starfleet hardware is generally indicated by the presence of nacelles.

Cardassians, of course, needed no stinking nacelles for their warp-capable missile. Then again, their ships don't use nacelles, either.

I'm sort of fancying a compromise interpretation here: those things in "BoBW" could well be former small starships, of "corvette" or "patrol boat" size judging by how they aren't invisibly small against the multi-kilometer Cube - but converted into suicide drones by removal of crew and addition of explosives. We do see the exact same design up close in "New Ground", after all, serving as a test vessel for the warp soliton, and the detailing there suggests a relatively substantial craft or vessel. (Also note the cameo in the "Unification" junkyard!)

Timo Saloniemi
Photon torpedoes seem to get by just fine without nacelles.

Nevertheless, while the nacelle argument does seem reasonable, especially for a craft larger than a photon torpedo, my purpose in that constructive criticism was simply to point out that certain types of profiles suggest unmanned vehicle more so than others, simply because of the tropes involved. In the case of this profile, it's hard to get a read on it.
Old September 20 2012, 04:50 AM   #120
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post

Timo Saloniemi
Photon torpedoes seem to get by just fine without nacelles.
And depending on who you ask, a photon torpedo IS a disembodied warp nacelle.

Nevertheless, while the nacelle argument does seem reasonable, especially for a craft larger than a photon torpedo, my purpose in that constructive criticism was simply to point out that certain types of profiles suggest unmanned vehicle more so than others, simply because of the tropes involved. In the case of this profile, it's hard to get a read on it.
Other than producer's intent, of course. Basically, we know they're missiles because they were INTENDED to be missiles. If there was any sort of crew on board, it would just be a couple of tribbles that happened to crawl into the number three impulse manifold before it launched.