Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old September 18 2012, 05:39 AM   #151
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

First of all, Denver and Peyton Manning can suck it. I hate them both.

Second, the officiating this second week was atrocious.

Third, I don't know if anyone stayed tuned for the postgame, but Steve Young went off, and rightly so.

Now remember as a Rams fan, I despise him too. But God Bless Him, he used his reputation and his bully pulpit to take the NFL to task for this whole thing. He basically said all they care about is busting the union, and as long as all of us keep watching and buying tickets, "they just don't care." They don't care about player safety. They don't care about the integrity of the game.

And why would they?

Bravo Steve. Bravo.

I just thought Steve Young was brave with his stance, and I salute him for it, as much as it sickens me.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old September 18 2012, 06:08 AM   #152
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

tighr wrote: View Post
I'm not sure why they didn't burn the last timeout before the 2 minute warning... Stop the clock, get another stop, and the Falcons would be forced to snap before the 2 minute warning for a 3 and out. Not sure of the logic behind that move.
While I think your math on the clock/ downs might be a little off, I was calling for the same thing.... they should have taken the time out before the 2 minute warning and made Atlanta take another snap. Wouldn't have saved them very much time, but the move cost them about 20 wasted seconds.

The more I think about it, the more pissed I am about the refs. That was just terrible. This isn't even a, "Oh, they screwed Denver so bad!" kind of mad.... they were regularly awful and everyone suffered for it.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old September 18 2012, 12:30 PM   #153
tighr
Commodore

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
tighr wrote: View Post
I'm not sure why they didn't burn the last timeout before the 2 minute warning... Stop the clock, get another stop, and the Falcons would be forced to snap before the 2 minute warning for a 3 and out. Not sure of the logic behind that move.
While I think your math on the clock/ downs might be a little off, I was calling for the same thing.... they should have taken the time out before the 2 minute warning and made Atlanta take another snap. Wouldn't have saved them very much time, but the move cost them about 20 wasted seconds.
I think its a moot point anyway, because the Falcons ended up converting for a first down before the 2 minute warning.
Old September 18 2012, 06:09 PM   #154
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

If the players and coaches want the real refs back its very simple. Tell Roger if the real refs arent on the field on Sunday, neither are we. The issue will be solved very quickly at that point.
Old September 18 2012, 06:29 PM   #155
Use of Time
Commodore

It's not just the calls but the need to have a conference over everything that really makes the game crawl. I don't mind that if that is what it takes to get the call right but it took literally 20 minutes to snap the ball on the next play after that first quarter fumble last night. I'm not staying up until 1 in the morning to watch a football game that should take just a little over three hours.

Steve Young is a sharp guy and I'm glad he had the nerve to say it. He was aboslutely right, I just wish some of those other mouthbreathers could have backed him up. Stuart Scott looked horrified and tried to interject himself immediately only for Young to squash him. Well Done.

Nothing short of a wildcat strike by the players and coaches prior to the next game will get the NFL's attention. Don't hold your breath.
Old September 18 2012, 08:31 PM   #156
the 4th Hanson bro
I shot my eye out!

As usual, Drew Litton gets it spot on.
Old September 18 2012, 09:08 PM   #157
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Just saw the news Steve Sabol passed.

I watched his show every week when I was a kid. A truly great talent and worth every one of those Emmys.

He will be missed.
Old September 19 2012, 03:14 AM   #158
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Icemizer wrote: View Post
If the players and coaches want the real refs back its very simple. Tell Roger if the real refs arent on the field on Sunday, neither are we. The issue will be solved very quickly at that point.
What are the consequences for violating a labor agreement they just signed?

Use of Time wrote: View Post
It's not just the calls but the need to have a conference over everything that really makes the game crawl.
Yeah, that's my big thing.
Old September 19 2012, 03:39 AM   #159
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Icemizer wrote: View Post
What are the consequences for violating a labor agreement they just signed?
Also, the coaches don't have a union -- if they stopped showing up for work, they'd be in material breach of contract and they could be immediately terminated for cause.
Old September 19 2012, 04:18 AM   #160
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

True, the coaches are incapable of participating. I don't know enough about employment law with an antitrust exemption like the NFL, but I know under the CBA they can be fined thousands a day for missing a game, so it's certainly not going to work on those grounds alone.
Old September 19 2012, 07:01 PM   #161
tighr
Commodore

There is an NFL Coaches Association (like the NFLPA), but it is non-union. Coaches would be dis-incentivized from forming a union based on the tenuous way the coaching carousel works in the NFL. As head coaches are fired/quit/promoted, the opportunity for assistants to become head coaches means they wouldn't want to collectively bargain their rights.

Plus, I believe that Head Coaches are effectively "front office management", and the assistants are all employees of their respective team. A union in an environment where employees are fired/promoted up and down from management to regular employee almost at the drop of a hat would be unstable, and its not in the coaches' best interests to support one.

In the case of Sean Payton, that kinda sucks. He has no recourse for his suspension, because the league is the arbiter of that discipline. Well, the league is also the one who suspended him, so he's screwed.
Old September 23 2012, 03:33 PM   #162
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Time Warner to FINALLY carry the NFLN.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1165326
Old September 23 2012, 04:04 PM   #163
tighr
Commodore

NFL Network has the absolute worst broadcast team of all of the networks. The camera-work is shoddy, the audio is horrible, and that says nothing about the horrendous commentators. Watching an NFL Network broadcast sometimes feels like watching a local cable access production of a high school game.
Old September 23 2012, 06:43 PM   #164
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Bears / Rams just featured a tipped pass leading to an interception, leading to a long return, leading to a fumble, which led to a long return, which may or may not have ended in another fumble.

I'm not making this shit up.
Old September 23 2012, 07:15 PM   #165
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ And the rent-a-refs took 7+ minutes to figure it out.

The head rent-a-ref said "Saint Looie"
Closed Thread