Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old September 17 2012, 04:52 PM   #91
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Re: Ziyal is having more surgery

^Glad you enjoyed, ORSE. I obviously did, too. I couldn't survive life without a sense of humor.

On my way to get a massage for the first time since all this started 18+ months ago. OMG, I'm so excited!
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 10:59 PM   #92
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Ah, I love massages. I used to go every month when I had my old job. I stopped when my stress level dropped, but maybe on my next day off....
Old September 17 2012, 11:32 PM   #93
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

^Good use of a day off!

I found a massage therapist who's also an RN, so I wasn't afraid she would break me, you know? And she turned out to be really good.
Old September 18 2012, 03:23 AM   #94
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Is there a registry where you can find people who also have medical credentials? Since I have scoliosis I wouldn't want anyone messing me up. Also, are they certified for proper conduct with customers? That's also something I'd want to know. After that, a massage would sound great.
Old September 18 2012, 03:24 AM   #95
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

If you used texting to set up the appointment, would that be considered an Instant Massage (IM)?
Old September 18 2012, 03:08 PM   #96
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
Is there a registry where you can find people who also have medical credentials? Since I have scoliosis I wouldn't want anyone messing me up. Also, are they certified for proper conduct with customers? That's also something I'd want to know. After that, a massage would sound great.
I don't know of any kind of registry like that. I just went to the alternative/complementary medicine department at a hospital, assuming (correctly) that their therapists would be used to working on patients who were still healing from surgery. The fact that one of them happened to also be an RN was a bonus.

BTW, I hope you didn't take my fear of being broken too literally.

"Proper conduct": all professions have codes of ethics. Is that what you're talking about?

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
If you used texting to set up the appointment, would that be considered an Instant Massage (IM)?
Yes, it would be.
Old September 22 2012, 02:54 AM   #97
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

So far so good. Unfortunately I had to see the PA instead of the surgeon this week, but she and their nurse practitioner are very happy with my progress, even with last week's setback/scare. Hopefully when I see the surgeon himself in two weeks, he will finally remove the damn sutures.
Old September 22 2012, 03:05 AM   #98
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Good to hear, Ziyal...keep your chin up girl!

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2012, 06:00 AM   #99
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
"Proper conduct": all professions have codes of ethics. Is that what you're talking about?
Partly so. It's kind of an "I'm laying there partially unclothed and there's somebody touching me" thing. I need to know before I even consider a situation like that, where the precautions, accountability, and safety measures are. The code of ethics and how it's enforced, I guess, so that clients aren't put in bad positions.

I admit, too, that from a health perspective I also worry about the fact that I have a wonky back and I don't want someone unqualified practicing on it.

On a much nicer subject, I'm so glad the recent scare may have only been temporary one.
Old September 22 2012, 10:21 AM   #100
RJDiogenes

^^ The massage therapists I've been to have always been very careful about the touching. A little too careful, in my opinion.

So far so good. Unfortunately I had to see the PA instead of the surgeon this week, but she and their nurse practitioner are very happy with my progress, even with last week's setback/scare. Hopefully when I see the surgeon himself in two weeks, he will finally remove the damn sutures.
That's great news. There's light at the end of the tunnel.
Old September 22 2012, 08:18 PM   #101
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Thanks, Everyone.

Nerys Ghemor, if you're in a state that licenses massage therapists, the licensing board is who they're accountable to. All the ones I've been to have all been very careful about modesty. Standard procedure is to keep the client covered by a sheet or blanket, except for whichever body part they're working on at the moment. As far as the health concern, if I were in your position, I would just tell the therapist about my wonky back. Most massage techniques are gentle and unlikely to cause problems. The only reason I was concerned this time was that my body is obviously still healing from all the surgery.
Old September 23 2012, 10:00 AM   #102
RJDiogenes

Actually, on the first visit they will usually ask you to fill out a form that asks questions like that, and they will also ask directly before beginning.
Old September 23 2012, 01:07 PM   #103
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

When I had my second surgery after a tendeon injury, I got massages starting on the second day after the surgery. I was really surprised that you could do that with the stutures still in and the wound being so fresh but it healed so perfectly that I can only recommend it. It makes the scar stay small and soft and prevents scar tissue from growing too much.

I keep my fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you, Ziyal and congrats on your impending promotion! (only 18 posts to go)
Old September 23 2012, 01:33 PM   #104
Rhaven
Captain

I'm sending good thoughts for continued proper healing.
Old September 23 2012, 04:03 PM   #105
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Thanks, Rhubarbodendron and Rhaven. (What a great combination of names!) Seventeen posts to go.