Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old September 17 2012, 09:21 AM   #91
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: female audience reaction to Seven of Nine

I don't usually express my Kes feelings because of sensitivity to Lynx, just like I try and keep my Chak bashing to a minimum. Now I feel guilty.

That's how soft, sweet kittens always make you feel when you smack 'em.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 10:31 AM   #92
lurok
Commodore

I loved Kes's voice. Like honey and tar. The only real issue is some latter scenes with Mulgrew are like two foghorns duetting, after Kate turned down the chipmunk pitch.
Old September 17 2012, 10:35 AM   #93
Dream
Admiral

Janeway sounded too much like a chain smoker to me.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 11:19 AM   #94
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
Janeway sounded too much like a chain smoker to me.
And this is bad?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 17 2012, 01:32 PM   #95
Christopher
Writer

Jennifer Lien had one of the sexiest voices around. She played Agent L on Men in Black: The Series in its first three seasons, and sometimes got play it quite sultry in the first season (before they toned it down more for the kids), and it was amazing to listen to.

And I liked that tendency to pronounce "S" slightly more like "SH." (What would you call that? An anti-lisp?) It reminded me of some classic actress from the '40s, though I forget who.

And she was amazing as Kes. She brought such maturity, wisdom, and gentle strength to a character who was supposed to be so young -- even though she herself was barely an adult at the time.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 01:46 PM   #96
teacake
Fleet Admiral

This must be a man thing.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 17 2012, 09:42 PM   #97
Gov Kodos
Admiral

No, it's not. She was pretty annoying with the wise beyond her years thing, She's little older than Naomi when she was introduced, yet has knowledge and wisdom equal to or more than an adult. It's a ridiculously improbable species. And the wise councilor voice was annoying as hell by the middle of Troi's first speech. That just set my teeth on edge with Kes as well.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 10:15 PM   #98
R. Star
Rear Admiral

A lot of people have said that Kes is attractive, but I dunno... sure she's cute in a childish sort of way, but that's exactly the point... childish demeanor and behavior, no matter how smart she may be, is just kind of a turnoff.

She could have been a very intriguing character if the writers had any sense of direction with her and her mental abilities beyond randomly killing things whenever she uses her mental powers.
Old September 17 2012, 10:53 PM   #99
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
the wise councilor voice
That's really 95% of the turn off for me. Juliet in Lost had the same voice. Sometimes I meet women who start talking to me in that voice and I just glaze over. Also anything that comes out of my mouth in response to that voice sounds like a mad barking dog so this doesn't help either.

I just don't trust that voice. It seems fake. No one is really like that and if they are they are then get me the hell out of there.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 17 2012, 10:55 PM   #100
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Whoever invented her, the plan had to be start with a kid who grows up, gets old, gets wise and then dies just about when they arrive at earth, they're all sad, but then they realize that her telepathic powers have turned her into a godlike space fart who's flying off in space happy as larry.

The other hundred or so writers weren't told about this, didn't care, or were instructed to ignore the blatant and obvious direction the character should be going in because since they didn't now when their script was going to air relative to all the scripts they hadn't read, it's not like they could just throw shit in randomly against the producers instructions and...

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 11:00 PM   #101
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Thrall's wife's voice is kind of like this too, though husky. That must be why I hate her so much.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 19 2012, 03:23 AM   #102
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
It pretty much became the Seven of Nine show when she arrived.
Actually it didn't. I researched this for an article in Star Trek Magazine about the fourth season and Seven's arrival. I determined that in seasons 4-7, Janeway remained the character who was the (or at least a) focal point of the largest number of episodes, with Seven in second place. Seven's prominence roughly equalled Janeway's in season four, naturally enough since she was a new character whose personality, backstory, and relationships needed to be established, but in later seasons she was generally second in prominence to Janeway -- except in season 7 where the Doctor came second in the number of focus episodes and Seven was third.
I am male, first-off,so this is a bit off-topic. Watched voy first-run and liked it. My 14 year old daughter watched 1-6 on netflix over the summer, so for fun bonding I bought season 7 on disc. It is by no means the 7 of 9 Show I had been led to expect from comments on this bbs. Tom and B,Elanna are featured with the baby. Ms Dawson really has done some nice acting in some eps, btw. My three cents. Be well.
Old September 19 2012, 03:26 AM   #103
teacake
Fleet Admiral

plynch wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
It pretty much became the Seven of Nine show when she arrived.
Actually it didn't. I researched this for an article in Star Trek Magazine about the fourth season and Seven's arrival. I determined that in seasons 4-7, Janeway remained the character who was the (or at least a) focal point of the largest number of episodes, with Seven in second place. Seven's prominence roughly equalled Janeway's in season four, naturally enough since she was a new character whose personality, backstory, and relationships needed to be established, but in later seasons she was generally second in prominence to Janeway -- except in season 7 where the Doctor came second in the number of focus episodes and Seven was third.
I am male, first-off,so this is a bit off-topic.
Read the previous pages?

Watched voy first-run and liked it. My 14 year old daughter watched 1-6 on netflix over the summer, so for fun bonding I bought season 7 on disc. It is by no means the 7 of 9 Show I had been led to expect from comments on this bbs. Tom and B,Elanna are featured with the baby. Ms Dawson really has done some nice acting in some eps, btw. My three cents. Be well.
Did your 14 year old daughter like it? And yes the show does develop a lot of the characters and B'Elanna and Tom get more and more story as time goes on.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 19 2012, 03:54 AM   #104
Christopher
Writer

R. Star wrote: View Post
A lot of people have said that Kes is attractive, but I dunno... sure she's cute in a childish sort of way, but that's exactly the point... childish demeanor and behavior, no matter how smart she may be, is just kind of a turnoff.
I never found Kes's demeanor or behavior to be the least bit childish. She always projected a maturity and wisdom beyond either the character's or the actress's years. I can't imagine how anything about her personality could be characterized as childish. Now, Tom -- he was childish. Harry could be childlike in his naivete. Neelix could be childish in his petulance and insecurity. But Kes? Never.

She could have been a very intriguing character if the writers had any sense of direction with her...
I think she was an intriguing character, but I agree, the writers didn't know how to make good use of her. Here was this gifted young woman who only had a few years to live, who should've been hungry for every experience she could cram into her brief span, and yet they just had her hang around in sickbay for three years.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 03:56 AM   #105
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Is it bad that I'm now picturing all the male Kes lovers in this thread as having Neelix like qualities?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne