RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,230
Posts: 5,347,595
Members: 24,607
Currently online: 565
Newest member: lueth2048

TrekToday headlines

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 17 2012, 03:44 PM   #46
DonIago
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Burlington, VT, USA
View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations

Honestly, why the E-D even needed to drop the BoP's shields is a mystery to me.
__________________
--DonIago
It was the best of Trek, it was the worst of Trek...
"If I lean over, I leave myself open to wedgies, wet willies, or even the dreaded Rear Admiral!"
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 04:25 PM   #47
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain
 
Re: The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations

^^^ Agreed. A Galaxy class arsenal should be able to overwhelm the defenses of an old out-of-service BoP.

I also thought, if they're going to recycle stock footage of a BoP fighting and defeating the Enterprise, why not recycle stock footage of a Vorcha instead? But I guess that had to do with TV versus Cinema technical details.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 04:31 PM   #48
CoveTom
Rear Admiral
 
Location: CoveTom
Re: The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations

mswood wrote: View Post
First understand that while it was the producers desire to get rid of the D (as it was specifically designed for the 4:3 frame ratio that isn't going to be the case for films). It wasn't just about the exterior, it was completely and totally evident that the entire of the ship as built couldn't be legitimately used to look could for theatrical use. You see how much they changed the lighting scheme and changed sets to try and make it more suited for the big screen, it was just a huge issue for them and looking into the future (and I say this as someone who really doesn't like the exterior of the E, interior love though).
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it was ILM's decision to scrap the D. But I seem to recall hearing them say that it wasn't an easy model to work with. Of course, they did some of the original model work for "Encounter at Farpoint," but I don't believe they were the ones who built the model and they didn't work on TNG after the pilot.

I just get the feeling that different effects houses have their own unique ways of making motion control models and that ILM didn't care for the way the A or the D were designed.

Also, I understand what you're saying about the challenges of going from a 1980's/1990's television resolution to a feature film. However, I disagree that the Enterprise-D sets weren't up to the challenge. Certainly the sets and lighting would need some modifications. But I think they could have functioned fine. The fact that they are able to go back to the original film elements and produce a high definition Blu-ray transfer that looks fantastic is evidence of the fact that the sets possessed a decent level of detail and quality.

On top of which, the Enterprise-D felt like home after seven years of TNG. The Enterprise-E was just another ship. I think the emotional connection would have made it worth making the upgrades to the existing sets and models.

Of course they could have killed stellar Cartography. Though I loved that scene and the FX for the most part. Certainly a thousand times better then the set used in Lessons. OR changed other aspects of the script to remove other FX elements (like crashing into the planet). But to do what they chose to do, they were going to have to trade off with reused shots, redressed sets, ect.
I hadn't thought about Stellar Cartography in this discussion. That's a good point. It was an impressive set, and certainly different from anything else we'd seen on the Enterprise-D. But was it worth all the money that went into it when it served no purpose other than to add a bit of a "wow" factor to a scene that lasts only a matter of minutes? Since they were destroying the ship at the end of the film, they knew that set would never be used again. So why prioritize that expense and then have to go chopping away at your climactic battle?

Even still, my priority wouldn't have been avoiding the re-use of the BoP shot, but re-directing that money to other, more story-oriented items. Heck, even spending the money to add a few extra phaser or torpedo shots to the battle between the Enterprise and the BoP would have been effective in making it seem a more reasonable fight.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 04:42 PM   #49
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations

Honestly I never got why people obsessed so much over the graphics. Sure they can enhance an episode or film but they're not going to define it. I really didn't care that they recycled the Bird of Prey exploding. How many angles do we have to see it blow up from? I didn't mind the Dominion War recylcled footage, there's a budget and the point it gotten across. Neither took away from the plot, which is what makes an episode or movie good or bad.

Honestly I think if they just flipped it so the BoP was angling the other direction fewer people would have even noticed. Generations was a bad movie. But not because of the explosion. If we went by flashy graphics being the end all, Enterprise would be the best series and Nemesis the best movie.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 05:02 PM   #50
Galileo7
Fleet Captain
 
Galileo7's Avatar
 
Location: U.S.A.
Re: The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations

DonIago wrote: View Post
Honestly, why the E-D even needed to drop the BoP's shields is a mystery to me.
Agree.

SchwEnt wrote: View Post
^^^ Agreed. A Galaxy class arsenal should be able to overwhelm the defenses of an old out-of-service BoP.

I also thought, if they're going to recycle stock footage of a BoP fighting and defeating the Enterprise, why not recycle stock footage of a Vorcha instead? But I guess that had to do with TV versus Cinema technical details.
Agree, the Vorcha would have been a much more believable opponent to a Galaxy class flagship.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 03:18 AM   #51
AggieJohn
Lieutenant
 
Location: Houston Tx
Re: The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations

That did seem like a horrible send off for the D. I never liked that ship but even I think a old BoP was in bad taste. I totally agree that a Vorcha would have been a better choice.

I hate how popular the BoP has become considering that 1) it was supposed to be Romulan but they changed the script to STIII. 2) It is completely wrong for the design concepts of the Klingon Empire, which appeared more a drab gray look with the, in my view iconic D-7 battle cruiser. 3) leads to a weird issue with the mega BoP battleships the size of the Ent D as well as the little ones. I know its a cost thing but still. If they were really hard pressed for a cruiser model they could have considered pressing the D-7/ STI&VI model into service. They used the Miranda & excelsior models.
AggieJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 09:30 PM   #52
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral
 
ssosmcin's Avatar
 
Location: ssosmcin
Re: The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations

What makes the BoP explosion stand out is that it explodes in a unique fashion. It's not a model with an explosion graphic slapped over it. The model is blown up in sections, bit by bit. It's actually a pretty slow destruction, made to milk the visceral impact, the immense high in TUC as torpedo after torpedo hammered the damned thing at the end of a one-sided battle. It's extremely distinctive. And when it was first shown in theaters in 1991, the audience cheered. I got a tingle of excitement for years rewatching that. It was perfectly done and intentionally created to have this effect on people.

Then, the next film uses the exact same shot and it stands out (to fans) because of what I described above. It wasn't just another ship being blown up, it was the emotional climax of the previous film. Because of this, what should have been a fist pumping climax in GEN just deflated.

It would be as if a refit Constitution class ship was destroyed in Star Trek 4 and they just reused the Enterprise destruction shot. There would be bitching about that as well, and, IMO, rightly so. Flybys and establishing shots are fine to reuse. Shots that are used to climax a major action sequence really should be new. Even if it doesn't kill the film, it does say "cheap."
__________________
"Tranya is people!"
ssosmcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 10:50 PM   #53
DonIago
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Burlington, VT, USA
View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations

Well-said.
__________________
--DonIago
It was the best of Trek, it was the worst of Trek...
"If I lean over, I leave myself open to wedgies, wet willies, or even the dreaded Rear Admiral!"
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 11:39 PM   #54
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations

Because the BoP explosion is what ruined the film... come on the graphic effects are the frosting not the cake.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 04:57 AM   #55
DonIago
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Burlington, VT, USA
View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations

No single element can ruin a film for me, usually. But it did take me out of the film and damage my experience.
__________________
--DonIago
It was the best of Trek, it was the worst of Trek...
"If I lean over, I leave myself open to wedgies, wet willies, or even the dreaded Rear Admiral!"
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 08:11 PM   #56
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral
 
ssosmcin's Avatar
 
Location: ssosmcin
Re: The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations

Zombie Redshirt wrote: View Post
Because the BoP explosion is what ruined the film... come on the graphic effects are the frosting not the cake.
Who said it ruined the film? I grew up on the original series; reused effects (or even bad ones) don't ruin a film for me. However, using that shot pulled me out of it for a second. I explained why. Awesome that the reuse didn't phase you, but everyone's different.
__________________
"Tranya is people!"
ssosmcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 03:40 AM   #57
indianatrekker26
Captain
 
Re: The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations

If there was any shot that bugged me the most in Generations, was when they showed the Enterprise B flying by at warp. And it was stock footage of the Excelsior warping by the screen from Trek 6. I know why they did it, to save money on a 3 second shot.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 12:03 AM   #58
xvicente
Commander
 
xvicente's Avatar
 
Re: The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations

Why people can't accept easily that the E-D could be shot down by a Klingon Bird of Prey, while as we already had saw, the original NCC1701 was?

These things are dangerous.

PS. also Grisson in the same movie. Even their gunners can't control their awesome power. ("One lucky shot")
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 12:14 AM   #59
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
trevanian's Avatar
 
Re: The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations

CoveTom wrote: View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it was ILM's decision to scrap the D. But I seem to recall hearing them say that it wasn't an easy model to work with. Of course, they did some of the original model work for "Encounter at Farpoint," but I don't believe they were the ones who built the model and they didn't work on TNG after the pilot.

I just get the feeling that different effects houses have their own unique ways of making motion control models and that ILM didn't care for the way the A or the D were designed.
Actually the 6 ft model WAS built by ILM.

It wasn't designed by them and I guess they weren't too thrilled with the colors and the profile (who was? remember Doohan's comments about it?), but shooting it was not a problem, except for the fact that so much detail was basically applied with chalk and would come off (which was more of a problem over time, and why ILM did a pretty heavy-duty repaint for GEN.)

Make no mistake, though, they really did demolish the paint job on the refit for TWOK. When you first start seeing ILM shots (rather than stock reuse of Trumbull TMP shots) in TWOK, it is when RELIANT is sneaking up on them, and the ship looks like going to warp knocked all the paint off while scratching the surface something fierce.

In one of those shots where ENT is foreground right while RELIANT is bg left, the paint job really looks like an Estes Rocket I had that I launched with an "E" engine (super-powerful.) It went up glossy white, and came down a LONG time later and that sucker was practically grey. Reinforcements stripped off the fins, and the only reason I got it back at all was the chute didn't come out, otherwise I think it would have drifted for miles. I think it was a replica of the NIKE-X for those who would care about such things.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 05:48 PM   #60
Marsden
Commander
 
Marsden's Avatar
 
Location: Getting killed so the captain can have tea later.
Re: The recycled footage of BOP exploding in Generations

R. Star wrote: View Post
Honestly I never got why people obsessed so much over the graphics. Sure they can enhance an episode or film but they're not going to define it. I really didn't care that they recycled the Bird of Prey exploding. How many angles do we have to see it blow up from? I didn't mind the Dominion War recylcled footage, there's a budget and the point it gotten across. Neither took away from the plot, which is what makes an episode or movie good or bad.

Honestly I think if they just flipped it so the BoP was angling the other direction fewer people would have even noticed. Generations was a bad movie. But not because of the explosion. If we went by flashy graphics being the end all, Enterprise would be the best series and Nemesis the best movie.

I think the right expression the OP might have used is "Salt in the wound" It doesn't make the whole movie bad, the rest of the movie did that. Or good if you liked it. It just made that climax of the battle very anti climactic.

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
What makes the BoP explosion stand out is that it explodes in a unique fashion. It's not a model with an explosion graphic slapped over it. The model is blown up in sections, bit by bit. It's actually a pretty slow destruction, made to milk the visceral impact, the immense high in TUC as torpedo after torpedo hammered the damned thing at the end of a one-sided battle. It's extremely distinctive. And when it was first shown in theaters in 1991, the audience cheered. I got a tingle of excitement for years rewatching that. It was perfectly done and intentionally created to have this effect on people.

Then, the next film uses the exact same shot and it stands out (to fans) because of what I described above. It wasn't just another ship being blown up, it was the emotional climax of the previous film. Because of this, what should have been a fist pumping climax in GEN just deflated.

It would be as if a refit Constitution class ship was destroyed in Star Trek 4 and they just reused the Enterprise destruction shot. There would be bitching about that as well, and, IMO, rightly so. Flybys and establishing shots are fine to reuse. Shots that are used to climax a major action sequence really should be new. Even if it doesn't kill the film, it does say "cheap."
And this is why it's anti climactic. Thank you, ssosmcin.

I noticed it immediately, and now when I watch either movie it's hurts both.
__________________
"A man either lives life as it happens to him, meets it head-on, and licks it. Or he turns his back on it and starts to wither away."
Marsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
generations, recycling

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.