New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old September 17 2012, 10:20 AM   #1
RB_Kandy
Commander

What does a Yeoman do?

After looking at navel ranks, yeoman isn't a rank, so I am assuming it isn't an actual rank in Star Trek either, but instead a function like engineer, chef, etc.

What does a yeoman do? And what kind of rank do they carry if any?
RB_Kandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 10:52 AM   #2
judge alba
senior street judge

Re: What does a Yeoman do?

from what i've seen a yeoman seems to be the captains secretary. always taking notes oh and making coffee for the captain.

I could be wrong though

dont remember seeing one in tng and ds9 though.
Firm as a mountain.
Strike as powerful as thunder.
judge alba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 01:34 PM   #3
Horta_Jr.
Ensign

Wears a mega-mini skirt, cries for Kirk to ogle her legs, then appears many (drunken) years later saying spiteful things like "Well, they had their BLACK girl, so, its all political.." and "They had another blonde, but she was Gene's girlfriend, so who do YOU think got to stay on the show??"

....Am I close? Far-off?
Horta_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 03:34 PM   #4
Hando
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Hando Send a message via AIM to Hando Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Hando Send a message via Yahoo to Hando

What is wrong in using this: Wikipedia: Yeoman (US Navy)?
Hando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 03:44 PM   #5
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

In the Navy, Yeoman is a rate [MOS equivalent for our army friends.]
In TOS, Yeoman is eye candy for the captain... and yeah, she makes coffee and stuff.
Old September 17 2012, 05:15 PM   #6
Foxhot
Fleet Captain

''Wears a mega-mini skirt, cries for Kirk to ogle her legs, then appears many (drunken) years later saying spiteful things like "Well, they had their BLACK girl, so, its all political.." and "They had another blonde, but she was Gene's girlfriend, so who do YOU think got to stay on the show??"''

This surprises me. When did Whitney ever disparage Nichols or Barrett........if ever?
Foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 06:05 PM   #7
Horta_Jr.
Ensign

Was watching a UK docu called "Bring Back Star Trek" when I heard the ugly remarks.
Whitney struck me as a VERY bitter person. Watch the interview for yourself and see if you can detect any bitterness, envy, and/or racist tones. I sure as hell did.
(So bitter, in fact, that she outright SAID to the interviewer that the show "Ruined her life", and she hit the bottle, hard, for many years after.)

Oh - And along with the 'black' remark, she also called Nichelle's part on the show a 'glorified extra'.
Horta_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 06:12 PM   #8
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Hando wrote: View Post
In addition to that, I figure Yeoman Rand was also Kirk's "batman," meaning all around personal servant. The less time a captain spends taking care of personal matters like housekeeping of his quarter, cleaning his uniforms and fetching meals/coffee, the more time he has to deal with ship's business and command descisions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_(military)

Old September 17 2012, 07:13 PM   #9
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

Nothing. Except that this would be a very sparse discussion board if we were only allowed to address topics that were not covered somewhere else on the Web.
Old September 17 2012, 07:19 PM   #10
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
In addition to that, I figure Yeoman Rand was also Kirk's "batman," meaning all around personal servant. The less time a captain spends taking care of personal matters like housekeeping of his quarter, cleaning his uniforms and fetching meals/coffee, the more time he has to deal with ship's business and command descisions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_(military)

Yup. I figured that in "The Corbomite Maneuver," Kirk was used to having a male yeoman as his "Alfred" (to use a Batman reference), so he was uncomfortable suddenly having a pretty female yeoman suddenly taking that role and being aware of every single detail of his life both on and off duty.

KIRK: When I find the Headquarters genius that assigned me a female yeoman...
Old September 17 2012, 08:11 PM   #11
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Not "assigned me a yeoman," but "assigned me a female yeoman."

Old September 17 2012, 09:08 PM   #12
J.T.B.
Commodore

RB_Kandy wrote: View Post
After looking at navel ranks, yeoman isn't a rank, so I am assuming it isn't an actual rank in Star Trek either, but instead a function like engineer, chef, etc.

What does a yeoman do? And what kind of rank do they carry if any?
In the US Navy an enlisted person's rank is a combination of their "rate" (petty officer 3rd class, petty officer 2nd class etc) and their "rating," which is their specialty. A yeoman starts out at Yeoman 3rd Class (petty officer 3rd class, pay grade E-4) and can go up to Master Chief Yeoman (master chief petty officer, E-9). They can even go up to warrant officer rank, at which level the specialty is called "ship's clerk."

In the TOS episode "Charlie X" Tina Lawton was introduced as "yeoman third class," which sounds very much like the USN usage.

In the US Navy the yeoman rating handles administrative, clerical and secreterial duties, correspondence, record keeping, etc.

Justin
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 12:37 AM   #13
RB_Kandy
Commander

Horta_Jr. wrote: View Post
Wears a mega-mini skirt, cries for Kirk to ogle her legs, then appears many (drunken) years later saying spiteful things like "Well, they had their BLACK girl, so, its all political.." and "They had another blonde, but she was Gene's girlfriend, so who do YOU think got to stay on the show??"

....Am I close? Far-off?
I know Janice had a severe drinking problem for 20 years. I'm sure she may have said a lot of hurtful things when drunk.

I recently came across some excerpts of her book http://www.beyondspock.de/voices/excerpts_whitney.php
It's a very good read. I might even buy her book after reading that.
Old September 18 2012, 01:17 AM   #14
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

....Am I close? Far-off?
I know Janice had a severe drinking problem for 20 years. I'm sure she may have said a lot of hurtful things when drunk.

I recently came across some excerpts of her book http://www.beyondspock.de/voices/excerpts_whitney.php
No, Janice didn't. Grace on the other hand did.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 03:05 AM   #15
RB_Kandy
Commander

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post

....Am I close? Far-off?

No, Janice didn't. Grace on the other hand did.
My bad. I slipped. I was thinking about the character, and the name just Freudian slipped in there.