Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "A Town Called Mercy"
Geronimo! 16 14.04%
Good 65 57.02%
Average 27 23.68%
Bad 5 4.39%
Horrible 1 0.88%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 16 2012, 07:09 PM   #91
d'Anconia
Lieutenant Commander

Re: 7X03 A Town Called Mercy (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

yes, but I thought it was given to him during his visit to the sheriff office, because he wasn't wearing it when he got there..
Old September 16 2012, 07:17 PM   #92
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Saul wrote: View Post
So something is up with the Doctor. Is it possible he is meeting the ponds out of order and already knows their fate which is why he is acting this way or is it edging to the whole Valeyard thing.

Not a great episode. An ok talky episode. Haven't been that impressed with Who these last few episodes. Next week looks more interesting.
Interesting idea. I got a vibe like this from the last two episodes that something is throwing his moraility compass off as well.

he clearly has some as of yet offscreen issues to work out.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2012, 07:44 PM   #93
RoJoHen
Awesome

To those who have been saying "The Ponds really didn't need to be in this episode," I almost wonder if that's the point. They are no longer the Doctor's companions who live in the TARDIS and travel around with him. They are just people that he sometimes picks up when he wants to have an adventure. They absolutely don't need to be there. They're there to tag along for a while and then go back to their normal lives, and I think we're going to see more of that in the next couple episodes.
Old September 16 2012, 08:14 PM   #94
Sylvia
BobTheSkutter's wife

View Sylvia's Twitter Profile

Oh I think they needed to be there. How else could the Nice Medical Genius Doctor fix whatever it was/is making Amy infertile? Eventually they'll stop travelling to raise little puddles.

RevdKathy
Sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2012, 10:35 PM   #95
3chordboy
Lieutenant Commander

Moff has said when The Ponds leave it will be a tearjerker... i don't think he is implying death, i think he's implying that they will turn around to The Doctor and say "we've had enough". thats the vibe that i see building over these first 3 episodes anyway
3chordboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2012, 10:47 PM   #96
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Saul wrote: View Post
So something is up with the Doctor. Is it possible he is meeting the ponds out of order and already knows their fate which is why he is acting this way or is it edging to the whole Valeyard thing.
Yeah, I've been getting the same impression. I can't quite put my finger on it but some of his actions (in this ep particularly) have made me wonder if he's ignoring River's "what the hell have you been doing?" speech in "A Good Man Goes to War". Or maybe he hasn't heard it yet...nah. But something's definitely going on.
Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Considering how they've completely ignored the Dalek nanocloud, it's probably related to that.
That's a real possibility. There has to be some sort of repercussions from that. Although maybe the quack in this episode cured that while he was reversing Amy's infertility. Or something.
Old September 16 2012, 11:15 PM   #97
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

3chordboy wrote: View Post
Moff has said when The Ponds leave it will be a tearjerker... i don't think he is implying death, i think he's implying that they will turn around to The Doctor and say "we've had enough". thats the vibe that i see building over these first 3 episodes anyway
I'm expecting an ending similar to The Time Traveler's Wife -- the Doctor doesn't see them again for a long time, and then he sees Amy for the last time on her deathbed, decades after they last traveled together.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 12:11 AM   #98
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I'm expecting an ending similar to The Time Traveler's Wife -- the Doctor doesn't see them again for a long time, and then he sees Amy for the last time on her deathbed, decades after they last traveled together.
Or "Hook" the 1991 movie with Robin Williams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...IwkKOMc#t=310s

It's like Amy's comment where her friends might just start noticing they're getting older.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 01:51 AM   #99
The Wormhole
Admiral

A decent enough episode. Some really cool moments, especially the final scene with the Gunslinger watching over the town. The episode wa a bit predictable, Jex's fate was too easy to see coming. Still a cool episode, the Doctor speaking Horsey and talking about Susan the Horse's lifstyle choices was hilarious. And it's nice to see Ben Browder again, especially in a role that's different from his usual John Crichton/Cameron Mitchell mold.

To be honest, I'm not buying the Doctor's bad attitude. It essentially came out of nowhere and he's back to his normal self after the dark side is revealed. It would have been better if they had have shown him getting progressively darker in the previous episodes of the season. Though I suppose that is the point, have the audience have the same reaction to darker Doctor that Amy and Rory have. A good idea which lost something in the execution.

So the Doctor is now 1200 years old, meaning he's aged 100 years since season 6 and 300 years since regenerating. This is good since it means among other things that there's plenty of room for various adventures in novels and comics for the Eleventh Doctor to have., bith now and after Matt Smith moves on and this era is revisited in a PDA or something. However, what I don't get is why after 300 years the Doctor hasn't aged noticeably, and yet in the finale arc of season 3 when the Master aged the Doctor 100 years it turned him into an elderly person requiring a wheelchair?

I'm going to have to agree that Amy and Rory served no purpose in this episode. Well, okay, Amy did have the whole thing of reminding the Doctor to do the right thing, but really that could have been done by any companion. Hell, you could have brought back, oh I Don't know, Martha and Mickey and still have had the same episode.

I'm going to take this a bit further and agree with a growing sentiment that's been going around these past few weeks that they shouldn't have bothered bringing Amy and Rory back. Don't get me wrong, I like the Ponds, they're probably among my top five farourite companions in all Doctor Who. But their story is done and they had their good-byes. It would have been better to have left them as they were, eseentially living happily ever after with the potential to someday make a guest appearance. Either in a Journey's End style all companions reunited thing, guest appearances in the 50th or even 60th annniversary specials or perhaps used in guest apperances the next time the show is relaunched after a decade's hiatus like Sarah Jane was featured in the RTD years. Instead, they're returning again and again, having one more advenure in the TARDIS until something happens in episode 5 which will apparentally permanentally finish off their story.

Just why are Amy and Rory back with the Doctor anyway? They were dropped off back at their home after Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, but here they with him at the very beginning and the mention of Rory leaving his cell phone with Henry VIII could mean they've had a couple of other adventures prior to this episode. Though that could just be a reference to an untold story during seasons 5 or 6.
Old September 17 2012, 02:13 AM   #100
DWF
Vice Admiral

I didn't think Ben Browder was wasted, his part was meaty and pivotal to the story and his death was well done. But I could see the parallels between the Doctor actions during the Time War and Jex's actions during his planet's war.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 02:15 AM   #101
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Just why are Amy and Rory back with the Doctor anyway?
The in-episode explanation was they were trying to go to Mexico to see the Day of the Dead festival. Though one has to wonder how unintentionally the Doctor ended up off course.

(Actually, an adventure at the Day of the Dead festival has potential to be interesting....)
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 06:15 AM   #102
antichristhill
Fleet Admiral

I thought this one was a bit average. The whole thing felt very rushed and slapped together, and people just changed their viewpoints all of a sudden because the script called for it. Oh, the speeches were nice but Amy & Rory didn't really have to be there at all, and Jex could've simply let the Gunslinger shoot him. I thought it was just "OK" but not one of the better ones.
antichristhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 06:59 AM   #103
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

It was a solid enough episode, but not as good as the previous two. The music was really good for sure, and the sets were very nice. I thought Browder's role, as important as it was, was too small and with his whole "the war just ended five years ago" tidbit I was expecting something more from him regarding Jex's actions. Still, what we got was good.

I agree with the majority that the Ponds weren't needed and Rory especially, but it's always nice to see them. I'll be sad when they go, but to be honest if it had meant more Browder I might have been willing to give them up for this episode.

The real weakness of the episode, IMO, was Jex; in particular, I just didn't get much of any thing of a vibe from him. I don't know if it's writing or acting or what, but his whole character was "meh" to me. I did like the Gunslinger though and his ending was good.

DWF wrote: View Post
Amy signed her name as Williams on her divorce paper, you can't get too much morer official than that. Amy Williams is her legal name, Rory didn't take her name. The Doctor even told Amy in The God Complex that her name is Amelia Williams and it was time her her to grow up.
Legal smeagol, they're still the Ponds. And of course, the Doctor lies.
Old September 17 2012, 07:30 AM   #104
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

I voted average. The western theme worked for the episode and it was fun, but the Ponds and Ben Browder were criminally underutilized. The whole characterization of The Doctor felt off too because he flip-flopped faster than the speed of light on the issue of whether to kill the other doc or let him live. As a morality tale I think this episode sadly falls even below your typical episode of Star Trek. But on the plus side next week's episode looks to be an improvement!
Old September 17 2012, 07:46 AM   #105
Valin
Rear Admiral

Cutter John wrote: View Post
I think maybe it was all the American accents. It made the episode feel like something from the SyFy Channel.
No, if it was from SyFy, the desert town would have had a lot of trees and looked like British Columbia.