New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 16 2012, 08:59 PM   #91
Saul
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

According to this interview Genndy Tartakovsky rightly believes his series has been disowned. So why would they talk about keeping the CGI series in line with it? http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/s...ies_148068.asp
Old September 16 2012, 09:47 PM   #92
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Interesting interview since Filoni has stated in the past that the micro-series would not be ignored or disregarded. Perhaps this has since changed.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 04:49 AM   #93
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Most of the other EU ignored it.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 04:36 PM   #94
Stephen!
Captain

Saul wrote: View Post
According to this interview Genndy Tartakovsky rightly believes his series has been disowned.
But then again, his series is only a mere two hours of animation, as opposed to a series with 88 episodes under it's belt.
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 05:20 PM   #95
Saul
Rear Admiral

Stephen! wrote: View Post
According to this interview Genndy Tartakovsky rightly believes his series has been disowned.
But then again, his series is only a mere two hours of animation, as opposed to a series with 88 episodes under it's belt.
And the prequels add up to about 8 hours.

Not arguing which should take precedence over which due to length. I just had the impression (mostly from discussions here) that they were not gonna step on the toes of the 2D series which inspired much of the style of the current CG series.
Old September 17 2012, 05:43 PM   #96
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Stephen! wrote: View Post
And the prequels add up to about 8 hours.

Not arguing which should take precedence over which due to length. I just had the impression (mostly from discussions here) that they were not gonna step on the toes of the 2D series which inspired much of the style of the current CG series.
To be fair there don't seem to be any major discrepancies between the two shows until after Anakin becomes a Jedi Knight and the those could probably get by with just some minor reconting of some stuff.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 02:05 AM   #97
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
Most of the other EU ignored it.
A lot of other EU either preceded it in the timeline, making a lack of mention pretty much unavoidable, or was placed well in the future of it, making hypothetical references somewhat unlikely. Both LOE and the ROTS novel referred to events from the microseries.
Old September 18 2012, 02:12 AM   #98
billcosby
Commodore

Okay - when did Anakin become a full Jedi?

What I'm wondering, especially since the news that the short Clone Wars series is no longer canon... does this mean we'll get to see an Anakin-becomes-a-Jedi-Knight story in The Clone Wars? For some reason I recall a knighting-jedi story in that series. In the Nelvaan cave or something?

It seems like a moment too important to not explore in this series.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 02:16 AM   #99
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

billcosby wrote: View Post
What I'm wondering, especially since the news that the short Clone Wars series is no longer canon...
There was no such news, AFAIK.

billcosby wrote:
For some reason I recall a knighting-jedi story in that series. In the Nelvaan cave or something?
It was before that. It wasn't a story, more of a vignette. It wouldn't really work to have the Jedi Council suddenly show up in the Nelvaan cave ready for a knighting ceremony.
Old September 18 2012, 04:11 AM   #100
billcosby
Commodore

We know that Anakin is a padawan in ATOC and we know that he is a Jedi knight in ROTS.

The Clone Wars aims to fill in the details of the events between films by telling stories about the Clone Wars. It actually seems ridiculous (to me, anyway) to deliberately omit what could be argued as the single most important event to occur between films!

Was it easy for Anakin to pass the trials? How many trials did he have, and for how long? What was Obi-Wan's involvement? Did it occur closer to AOTC or ROTS? What did Anakin/Obi-Wan discuss before/after the trails, the ceremony? How did Padme support Anakin through this, if at all? What about when Anakin tells Padme of his success? What entails the actual ceremony (if any) to jedi status?

Seems like these things could be flashbacked into nearly any story that centers on Anakin.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 12:48 PM   #101
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Anakin is already a Knight at the start of "Clone Wars" the movie which is why the Council assigns him Ahsoka as a Padawan. He also has his scar that he received in the micro-series, which IIRC he received after his trials. I'm guessing that the Jedi Trials are just going to be one of those things we don't see, and just hear about. Almost mythical like tests that Jedi Padawan's take before being granted full Knightship. I don't mind not seeing them.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 07:15 PM   #102
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I agree with billcosby, the process of actually becoming a Jedi is an important part of the story. It should at least be shown in flashback. If they can do stories about Jar-Jar to fill airtime, they. An do that.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 02:03 AM   #103
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Anakin received his scar at the hands of Asajj Ventress in the comic Star Wars: Republic #71 - The Dreadnaughts of Rendili, Part Three. He was knighted in Chapter 21 of the Clone Wars microseries.

The Jedi trials article on Wookiepedia lists the various trials of the old Jedi Order, and notes where we've already seen Anakin go through them:
  • Trial of Bravery = experience due to fighting in the Clone Wars
  • Trial of the Flesh = loss of his forearm to Count Dooku
  • Trial of the Spirit = vision of a possible future as Vader (Clone Wars Chapter 24)
That leaves only two trials that we haven't seen. The first of these - the Trial of Skill - could easily be considered as passed through his natural affinity with a lightsaber or with Force abilities, or in the same way that Bravery was considered to be fulfilled. The Trial of Insight might have been considered fulfilled by Skywalker's leadership of clone troopers (strategy in battle, etc.).
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 03:02 AM   #104
Nightowl1701
Commander

Anakin was knighted, near as I can tell, somewhere between 4-6 months after AOTC, and it was very much a battlefield promotion - skipping the Trials entirely. It would have been sooner, as the decimated Jedi Order was under pressure after Geonosis to promote all older Padawans to knighthood immediately (according to the first chapter of the book Clone Wars: Wild Space, set immediately post-AOTC), but Anakin was nowhere near emotionally ready. Most of the pre-2008 Clone Wars EU belongs in this time period. The novel Jedi Trial tells the story of Anakin's second solo mission, the success of which helps convince the Council he's ready to be knighted (as seen in the microseries). He gets his scar from Asajj a few weeks after that (once he's had a chance to grow his hair out a little), then receives Ahsoka as his apprentice a month after that (7-9 months after AOTC).
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 10:15 AM   #105
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

It happned in a book which i had not read. Any idea which one?
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote