RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,588
Posts: 5,403,921
Members: 24,867
Currently online: 691
Newest member: jack@gerryander

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: Gold Key Archives Vol. 2 Comic
By: T'Bonz on Oct 1

Cumberbatch In War Of Roses Miniseries
By: T'Bonz on Oct 1

Trek 3 Filming Location Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Oct 1

October-November 2014 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Cho Selfie TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

TPTB To Shatner: Shhh!
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 16 2012, 01:01 AM   #16
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Best and worst comic book movies

Dare I admit to editing the novelization of STEEL?

I swear, it seemed like a good idea at the time!
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2012, 01:30 AM   #17
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: Best and worst comic book movies

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Dare I admit to editing the novelization of STEEL?

I swear, it seemed like a good idea at the time!
Steel money spends just like other money.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2012, 02:18 AM   #18
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral
 
FPAlpha's Avatar
 
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Re: Best and worst comic book movies

Best

Toss up between Avengers and Dark Knight Rises (Avengers for the sheer fun and excitement and Dark Knight for the actors and story)

Worst

Elektra or Catwoman
__________________
"But that emergency was supposed to be the fall of an Avenger!" Phil Coulson
"Exactly!"
Nick Fury
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2012, 02:42 AM   #19
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Best and worst comic book movies

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Dare I admit to editing the novelization of STEEL?

I swear, it seemed like a good idea at the time!
Steel money spends just like other money.
And I will go to my grave insisting that STEEL was better than BATMAN & ROBIN, which came out the same year . . . .
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2012, 03:30 AM   #20
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral
 
Flying Spaghetti Monster's Avatar
 
Location: Flying Spaghetti Western
Re: Best and worst comic book movies

Dark Knight (Rises) for the actors and story
what story? What actors? The actors are caught in the blinding lights of the script's needlessly complex and nonsensical narrative.. only the least likely character to work, Catwoman, seems fresh and vibrant (I loathed the scenes with her before the film came out, but everything else was so off-point that, oddly enough, she works better than and in spite of the rest of the movie) and sense of dread and paranoia of post 9/11 that carried the also-overcomplicated Dark Knight past plot holes that were just as large is non-existent here, save for the scene with the bridge being destroyed. The film is a too much of a mess to have a story, and the story that it does have is just an excuse to have way too many characters all speaking the most banal lines of dialogue ever. In Batman Begins, the viewer knows at the end when and where the hero and villain come at odds at each other philosophically when Ra's burns his house down. In the Dark Knight the Joker spells it out when he's upside down at the end. In this film, when Batman meets Bane at the end, Bane asks him if he was going to die with the others, and Batman responds "No, I'm going to stop you!!!" (growl)
__________________
See, the problem is that you are using your cards to show me what cards you have, and if you can't see that this is viciously circular, then there is no point in continuing
Flying Spaghetti Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2012, 03:59 AM   #21
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: Best and worst comic book movies

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Dare I admit to editing the novelization of STEEL?

I swear, it seemed like a good idea at the time!
Steel money spends just like other money.
And I will go to my grave insisting that STEEL was better than BATMAN & ROBIN, which came out the same year . . . .
Maybe the novelization was...
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2012, 04:05 AM   #22
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral
 
zakkrusz's Avatar
 
Location: The Wired
Re: Best and worst comic book movies

My Favorites:
Batman Begins/Dark Knight/Dark Knight Rises
Iron Man/Iron Man 2
Avengers
Watchmen
RED
The Punisher (2004)
Thor
The Incredible Hulk
X-Men/X2
V For Vendetta

Worst:
Daredevil
Ultraviolet
Electra
Fantastic 4/Fantastic 4 2
Punisher: War Zone
__________________
"There are few wars between good and evil; most are between one good and another good."
—Yang Wen-li-Legend of the Galactic Heroes
zakkrusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2012, 04:27 AM   #23
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: Best and worst comic book movies

Most of them were pretty bad until Blade showed you didn't have to use a literal visual approach when adapting these properties to the screen.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2012, 04:32 AM   #24
Mr_Homn
Captain
 
Mr_Homn's Avatar
 
Re: Best and worst comic book movies

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Most of them were pretty bad until Blade showed you didn't have to use a literal visual approach when adapting these properties to the screen.
Blade is such an underrated flick. Fantastic atmosphere, great soundtrack, great cast, cool characters, other worldly visuals, simple but solid story..

For some reason it is hardly ever mentioned when "best comic book movie" talk comes up. I think people just kind of forgot about it because the character is not as famous as other comic book characters. It's probably the only comic book movie that is actually better than the source material, too. Blade comics were pretty mediocre from what I've heard (never read them though)

Picked up the new US release of it on blu ray (they finally fixed the aspect ratio problem of the first release) and it's held up very well other than a couple of iffy (but passable) late 90s cgi effects at the end.
__________________
"Thank you.. for the drinks."
Mr_Homn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2012, 04:41 AM   #25
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: Best and worst comic book movies

Yeah, I think its obscure-to-most origins helped them avoid interference with that flick. I need to queue that up for a rewatch, maybe I'll look into the blu-ray...
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2012, 07:42 AM   #26
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: Best and worst comic book movies

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Dark Knight (Rises) for the actors and story
what story? What actors? The actors are caught in the blinding lights of the script's needlessly complex and nonsensical narrative.. only the least likely character to work, Catwoman, seems fresh and vibrant (I loathed the scenes with her before the film came out, but everything else was so off-point that, oddly enough, she works better than and in spite of the rest of the movie) and sense of dread and paranoia of post 9/11 that carried the also-overcomplicated Dark Knight past plot holes that were just as large is non-existent here, save for the scene with the bridge being destroyed. The film is a too much of a mess to have a story, and the story that it does have is just an excuse to have way too many characters all speaking the most banal lines of dialogue ever. In Batman Begins, the viewer knows at the end when and where the hero and villain come at odds at each other philosophically when Ra's burns his house down. In the Dark Knight the Joker spells it out when he's upside down at the end. In this film, when Batman meets Bane at the end, Bane asks him if he was going to die with the others, and Batman responds "No, I'm going to stop you!!!" (growl)
All of tjicwould be true if Bane was the actual villain.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2012, 01:38 PM   #27
Admiral2
Vice Admiral
 
Admiral2's Avatar
 
Location: Peregrine Cliff
Re: Best and worst comic book movies

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^That's completely unfair.

West and Ward had much better comic timing and chemistry than Clooney and O'Donnell.

Apologies to West and Ward then.
__________________
"That's another thing Hollywood gets wrong. Real women EAT."

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2012, 01:43 PM   #28
Mars
Captain
 
Re: Best and worst comic book movies

Nobody's mentioned the Watchmen, is that among the best or the worst?
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2012, 01:55 PM   #29
lurok
Commodore
 
lurok's Avatar
 
Location: Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
Re: Best and worst comic book movies

I quite like Watchmen (*ducks*). And Sin City. I think some movies are just good loud fun regardless of comic sources - Avengers, Superman, even FF - while others have bigger challenges in adapting source material - like Kick-Ass, which I found meh.
__________________
"Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha"
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2012, 02:04 PM   #30
Admiral2
Vice Admiral
 
Admiral2's Avatar
 
Location: Peregrine Cliff
Re: Best and worst comic book movies

Watchmen was middlin' for me. Not because of any loyalty to the source material. Unlike most younger comics fans I'm not an Alan Moore sycophant. I find most of his work overwrought and pretentious. I found the movie overwrought and pretentious with nice visuals.
__________________
"That's another thing Hollywood gets wrong. Real women EAT."

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
comic book, movie

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.