RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,689
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 498
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old September 14 2012, 08:23 AM   #1
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Does Enterprise have the most violent deaths in Trek?

I think Degra's death and Persis's death are the most violent things I've seen in Trek. By violent I mean personally confronting as well as the act itself. Obviously an episode where a planet blows up contains more violence as far as how many die in the story, but violence on tv isn't about a numbers game. These deaths are up close and personal, they are visibly very painful and cause us to recoil at what is happening to the character.

Degra's death is particularly horrible because of the last words his killers says to him.

"I am going to find your wife and children and do the same to them. Your traitorous bloodline will end at the tip of my blade." Dolim

Persis's death is particularly horrible because it is at the hands of her lover and brother, who kisses her as he stabs her to death.

So, are these the most violent deaths in Trek? I can't think of any others as in your face as these ones.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2012, 02:13 PM   #2
jespah
Commodore

View jespah's Twitter Profile
Re: Does Enterprise have the most violent deaths in Trek?

I found it very affecting and disturbing (as in, nightmare-inducing) when crewmen flew out of a hole in the ship during S3. It was just so awful that they had no chance whatsoever.
jespah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2012, 04:27 PM   #3
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I dunno the most "woah!" death moment for me was the infamous Conspiracy head explosion along with the slug thing.

I think what made the two deaths you mentioned so shocking wasn't so much the method... Worf has been gutting people with knives throughout TNG and DS9 both, but the level of how personal both of them were.
Old September 14 2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

Lieutenant Commander Remmick disagrees with you...

M
Old September 14 2012, 04:32 PM   #5
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

oh, so does Admiral Dougherty, but to be fair, he deserved it...

M
Old September 14 2012, 04:47 PM   #6
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

^ I think Anthony Zerbe must insist on a violent death in every film he does.

Licence to Kill anyone? They put him in a deepsea diver's compression chamber, and made his head explode!

I don't know. Depends how focused the camera direction is and how the storylines are on a character falling victim or perp. Klingons slash at people left, right and centre... but the Bat'leths are made from rubber, sound FX dubbed over later, while stuntmen always land just out of shot.

Deep Space Nine on the whole, across the seasons, I should think. Although Enterprise might figure disportionately once it suddenly started getting good.

The Next Generation, while all the more shocking, tended to be a rare thing. Worf's despatch of Duras is notable.

Last edited by ChristopherPike; September 14 2012 at 05:00 PM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2012, 12:39 AM   #7
teacake
Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
I dunno the most "woah!" death moment for me was the infamous Conspiracy head explosion along with the slug thing.

I think what made the two deaths you mentioned so shocking wasn't so much the method... Worf has been gutting people with knives throughout TNG and DS9 both, but the level of how personal both of them were.
Yes it was how personal they were that affected me.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 15 2012, 01:31 AM   #8
Tiberius
Commodore

Varria's death from the Varon-T in "The Most Toys" was pretty horrible.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2012, 04:09 AM   #9
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Marta got blowed up real good in "Whom Gods Destroy." Which I guess was better than choking to death in a toxic atmosphere.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2012, 04:20 AM   #10
teacake
Admiral

Oh yeah, Marta was upsetting to me. Gets me every time.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 15 2012, 07:49 AM   #11
t_smitts
Commander

Not at all violent per se, but the crushing of the cube Yeoman Thompon in "By Any Other Name" never sat well with me. For me, it made the Kelvins irredeemable, and I didn't care to see them become our friends, as Kirk suggests at the end. To have a character threaten or even attempt to kill people is one thing, but once you have them do it, they've crossed a line that you generally can't un-cross without making some heroic sacrific (i.e. Damar, Doc Ock, or Anakin Skywalker)

And yeah, even though it was painfully obvious the Augment arc could only end with all of them dead and Soong taking up cybernetics instead, Persis' death was unsettlng for me too (Pretty girl deaths usually are, which is probably why slasher films generally aren't my cup of tea).

In terms of gruesomeness, though, nothing beats Remmick. I was pretty young when I first saw it. (I remember the howl that "mother" parasite made REALLY freaked me out!)

Dougherty would probably be a runner up, but I think it was pretty quick on screen and that one screen shot makes it look worse than it was.
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2012, 08:51 AM   #12
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I'll call out Terrell's death-suicide in TWoK.
DonIago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2012, 05:39 PM   #13
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Phlox's friend in the Augment arc was pretty awful, especially since we knew him so well from Phlox' letters

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2012, 08:45 PM   #14
mswood
Rear Admiral

Actually I think the most gruesome death Trek has had was in a G rated Movie. The transporter deaths near the start of the movie as you hear the screams and see the outline of the bodies changing. Utterly gruesome, though an accident as opposed to homicide.
Old September 15 2012, 08:49 PM   #15
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Oh yeah, that one still gets to me.
DonIago is online now   Reply With Quote