Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old August 11 2012, 03:54 AM   #46
jb1234
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: La-La Land Records to release 4-disc DS9 soundtrack set!

Scotty wrote: View Post
I hope this set only features music by McCarthy and Chattaway. David Bell always reused his own material and If you look up the term sonic wallpaper in the dictionary you'll find a picture of Paul Baillargeon.
It wasn't so much Bell reused material as he just used the same chord progression over and over and over and over again (and especially for epic moments, like the mines getting phasered in "Sacrifice or Angels" or Chakotay coming across the cave of aliens in "Waking Moments."

(In the first example, C-minor to A-Major)

His material got more distinct on Enterprise but he left that show midway through the second season (for whatever reason).
jb1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 06:42 AM   #47
Scotty
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Scotty wrote: View Post
I hope this set only features music by McCarthy and Chattaway. David Bell always reused his own material and If you look up the term sonic wallpaper in the dictionary you'll find a picture of Paul Baillargeon.
Well, I could defend Bell and Baillargeon, but that's a matter of opinion.
You could defend them, but what woud be the point? Bell and Baillargeon were Berman era composers, perfectly suited for Berman's idea of sonic wallpaper music.
Old August 11 2012, 01:44 PM   #48
Christopher
Writer

David Bell is actually a very good composer, but like all film/TV composers, he was hired to do what the producer (or director, in film) asked him to do. If you listen to his scores for other shows, they're a lot richer than what he did for ST. He did really good work for Murder, She Wrote and the short-lived Hal Linden/Harry Morgan mystery series Blacke's Magic. (He also did shows like Simon & Simon and In the Heat of the Night, but I didn't watch those.) My father (who was a radio announcer/programmer for our local classical station) actually interviewed Bell once, back in the '80s before he became a Trek composer. I was already a fan of his at the time, so I was rather impressed.

And while I'll agree that Bell's wallpaper scores tended to be among the most repetitive, he did really good work in those Trek episodes where he was allowed to move beyond the "wallpaper" paradigm, like the weird "carnival" music in "The Thaw," the beautiful alien source music in "Remember," and the superb Captain Proton scoring he did in "Bride of Chaotica!" I also really enjoyed his comedic work in DS9 episodes like "Take Me Out to the Holosuite," and his score for ENT: "Dear Doctor" is really quite impressive.

As for Baillargeon, all I can say is that I've always rather liked the sound of his music. No, it's not very melodic, but it's got a distinctive style that I enjoy. I don't find it wallpapery at all. I particularly like his scores to ENT: "Vox Sola" and "Rogue Planet," the latter of which is quite lovely.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 03:51 PM   #49
Scotty
Rear Admiral

As always Christopher you make some persuasive and good points. I have no doubt that both Bell and Baillargeon are both good composers. I initially liked them both, especially Bell's score for VOY's Unity and Baillargeon's score for Alter Ego. But as jb1234 mentioned Bell used the same chord progressions and themes on episodes of both Deep Space Nine and Voyager. Listen to the scores of VOY's Nemesis and DS9's Rocks and Shoals, they are almost identical.

McCarthy and Chattaway were alo guilty of bland scoring during the latter seasons of TNG and early seasons of DS9, but later on at least tried to work around Bermans musical restraints. The later seasons of both Deep Space Nine and especially Voyager featured some fantastic music.
Old August 11 2012, 09:17 PM   #50
jb1234
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think there's little doubt that all the composers Star Trek employed were very competent. Most of them got a chance to show off on Enterprise (where all the musical rules were seemingly dropped, maybe out of desperation because the show was failing).

I also enjoyed McCarthy's and Chattaway's early work on TNG, before they got muzzled. And Ron Jones, of course.

McCarthy did a very early score for SG-1 which greatly entertained me because it sounded NOTHING like his Star Trek work at the time. Very percussive and exciting (and sadly synthesized but that wasn't his fault).
Old August 11 2012, 09:21 PM   #51
Christopher
Writer

^I believe McCarthy collaborated a bit on Stargate SG-1 with Kevin Kiner, who was his co-composer on his electronic scores in the final season of Enterprise (by which point the budget had been slashed to the point that they couldn't afford an orchestra).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 09:37 PM   #52
jb1234
Lieutenant Junior Grade

^I believe McCarthy collaborated a bit on Stargate SG-1 with Kevin Kiner, who was his co-composer on his electronic scores in the final season of Enterprise (by which point the budget had been slashed to the point that they couldn't afford an orchestra).
Yeah, I think you're right. I got a lot of entertainment in that final season by guessing which score was electronic and which one wasn't.
Old August 13 2012, 06:28 AM   #53
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Some of McCarthy's work on SG-1 is available on album: 'The Best of Stargate SG-1'
Old September 15 2012, 03:15 PM   #54
Adrenaline
Ensign

Anyone hear any more info on this set? I am excited for the Original Series set, but to be honest was more excited about the DS9 set.
Adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 04:05 AM   #55
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

Adrenaline wrote: View Post
Anyone hear any more info on this set? I am excited for the Original Series set, but to be honest was more excited about the DS9 set.
+1
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 12:43 PM   #56
DarkHorizon
Captain

La La Land posted a couple of days ago at the FSM board (about 2/3s down that page, look for "Oct 17, 2012 - 8:41 AM":

Just to clarify -- No "new" "older" Trek stuff until Nov of next year... that's why we are scrambling to get our TOS set out by year's end. Only "ST Into Darkness" merchandise in 2013.

This is very common in Hollywood. We had to delay releases like X2 and Planet of the Apes (Elfman) to make way for the newer films that were released recently.

As for DS9, its looking like we can release it very early January 2013 as long as we can get it all signed off on by the Holidays.
The thing about restrictions on merchandise not STID (god, what an unfortunate acronym) is just as interesting, I think, especially since it seems that the novels and reference books are not affected...
Old October 23 2012, 07:18 PM   #57
Adrenaline
Ensign

DarkHorizon wrote: View Post
La La Land posted a couple of days ago at the FSM board (about 2/3s down that page, look for "Oct 17, 2012 - 8:41 AM":

Just to clarify -- No "new" "older" Trek stuff until Nov of next year... that's why we are scrambling to get our TOS set out by year's end. Only "ST Into Darkness" merchandise in 2013.

This is very common in Hollywood. We had to delay releases like X2 and Planet of the Apes (Elfman) to make way for the newer films that were released recently.

As for DS9, its looking like we can release it very early January 2013 as long as we can get it all signed off on by the Holidays.
The thing about restrictions on merchandise not STID (god, what an unfortunate acronym) is just as interesting, I think, especially since it seems that the novels and reference books are not affected...
Awesome, thanks for the update.
Adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2012, 03:39 AM   #58
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Fingers crossed they manage that January release date. I'd hate to have to wait 'til 2014 just because of ST12's release.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2012, 05:02 PM   #59
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Tosk wrote: View Post
Fingers crossed they manage that January release date. I'd hate to have to wait 'til 2014 just because of ST12's release.
Plus, January is DS9's 20th anniversary. It would be stupid not to cash in on that.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 06:40 AM   #60
DarkHorizon
Captain

Bumping this to say:

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/po...7395&archive=0 (last post on the page at present, Jan 16, 2013 - 9:34 PM)

The MAIN "Heads up" I am giving you is for Feb 12 when we will be releasing our 4 cd set to STAR TREK DEEP SPACE 9. This bad boy will set you back $49.98, so save your pennies now.