Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 14 2012, 07:19 PM   #16
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: Lincoln Full Trailer

Ethros wrote: View Post
Does he kill any vampires in it?
Speilberg edited those scenes out in a big hurry when that other movie tanked.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2012, 07:22 PM   #17
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
What I didn't like was the tendency in the trailer to have so many fades.. that we can't watch more than three seconds of action play out before we are enveloped in total darkness. This trend happens all the time in trailers and is not limited to this film, but it usually happens in trailers for movies that think of themselves as somehow more important or more deserving. I hate it. Are they afraid to just let us watch something? Are they afraid of brave trailer editing that I think was actually much better five years ago than it is now?
What would you have preferred, a techno soundtrack with cuts every half second?
So you weren't annoyed and distracted by all the fadeouts? There were so many of them, it's like they were trying to be funny! I usually don't notice stuff like that, so when I do notice it, there's a problem. I shouldn't be consciously aware of fade-outs, it's like when the music is so bad that you notice it.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2012, 07:29 PM   #18
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
What I didn't like was the tendency in the trailer to have so many fades.. that we can't watch more than three seconds of action play out before we are enveloped in total darkness. This trend happens all the time in trailers and is not limited to this film, but it usually happens in trailers for movies that think of themselves as somehow more important or more deserving. I hate it. Are they afraid to just let us watch something? Are they afraid of brave trailer editing that I think was actually much better five years ago than it is now?
What would you have preferred, a techno soundtrack with cuts every half second?
So you weren't annoyed and distracted by all the fadeouts? There were so many of them, it's like they were trying to be funny! I usually don't notice stuff like that, so when I do notice it, there's a problem. I shouldn't be consciously aware of fade-outs, it's like when the music is so bad that you notice it.
It's probably an artifact of the type of movie this is. It's not one with action set pieces, probably not one with lots of great one-liners. It looks like it hinges very much on specific conversations between the people involved, and I can see how it would be hard to form an interesting trailer from out-of-context quotes like that.

Besides, this doesn't strike me as the kind of film where the trailer is going to make or break it. It's Spielberg, it's Lincoln, it's Daniel Day-Lewis. Either you're into that or you're not, trailer be damned.
Old September 14 2012, 08:45 PM   #19
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

By and large, I'm fed up with Biopics, but this does look like a must-see.

With the current US Presidential campaign being in full swing now, it's interesting to consider how well a plain (at best) man with a high-pitched voice like Lincoln would fare in today's race. Not too well, methinks.
Old September 14 2012, 08:49 PM   #20
J.T.B.
Commodore

It would be worse without the fade-outs. They're trying to show it's a big film with pretty disparate parts: human drama, battlefield action, political infighting, crowd scenes &c. The fades to black allow them to cram all that in without becoming a jarring jumble.

Jared Harris from Mad Men looked pretty bad-ass as General Grant.

Justin
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2012, 09:06 PM   #21
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I'm not against fadeouts entirely. I also understand that this not a film with kitchy action and one-liners that seem tailor-made for trailers. I also understand there are elements of human drama, battles, politics, etc. But still, come on.. they can be a bit more creative with this.. It's like a secdong or two of a shot before it gradually fades to another shot. At least the Hobbit trailer from December... while also showing footage with disparate tones and including fadeouts, felt like it was actually showing us scenes, and scope, while still having a moment for Gandalf to smoke a pipe as they take part in a somber tune. But this I barely remember anything aside form a few shots on Lincoln talking to people and Civil War footage that looks remastered from Glory.
Old September 15 2012, 02:06 AM   #22
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Ethros wrote: View Post
Does he kill any vampires in it?
Speilberg edited those scenes out in a big hurry when that other movie tanked.
Ok, well it better include the time he met Bill & Ted and went to 1989 San Dimas at least!
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2012, 02:26 AM   #23
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Great trailer, even though I could have done with a slightly few fade in and outs. I'm really getting excited about this fall season and hope it's a lot better then the disappointment that was the summer season. With this, The Master, Flight, Les Meserables, Skyfall, and The Hobbit amongst other films, it should be a fun few months, hopefully.
Old September 15 2012, 05:12 PM   #24
Undead
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Undead

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Interesting that they went with the more historically-accurate higher pitch for Lincoln's voice.

Also, Tommy Lee Jones' historically-accurate horrible haircut.
I have to admit that's one thing I'm unsure about regarding the trailer. I don't doubt that DDL is an excellent choice to play Lincoln, but for some reason the voice just seems off to me. I guess I always imagined he had a relatively deep voice.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2012, 05:34 PM   #25
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Sweet jesus, for a moment I thought that was Heath Ledger. The resemblance is irritating.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2012, 05:05 AM   #26
stj
Rear Admiral

Re Tommy Lee Jones' bad "haircut," via Google:

I was reminded recently of the story of the woman who asked Thaddeus Stevens for a lock of his hair. By way of background, Stevens was totally bald and wore a wig that was apparently recognizable as such on sight. Here is a version I found in Ballou's Monthly Magazine (1891):
Thaddeus Stevens, it is narrated by a New York paper, was sitting in his office one day chatting with a few friends, when an old lady wearing a poke-bonnet and blue goggles, and carrying a green umbrella, walked into the room. She looked about her as if in search of some one, and then asked solemnly, "Can you tell me where to find Thaddeus Stevens, the Apostle of Liberty?"

"I am Thaddeus Stevens," replied the owner of the name curtly — for he was not a man given to sentiment.

Stevens was a fearsome trial lawyer. In one case he was so biting on points of law the judge cautioned him against manifesting contempt of court. "Sir, I am trying mightily to conceal it!"

A man once approached him for his support for the post of county Poor Commissioner. Stevens replied that the fellow should be given the job, for no one would be a poorer commissioner.

Once, watching a Congressman pace up and down the floor during a tedious orations, he ask if the man would put in for mileage.

As he was dying, a visitor commiserated with him over his unhealthy appearance. Stevens looked and him and remarked that it was not his appearance that concerned him, but his disappearance.

"Are you Thad-de-us Stevens, the Apostle of Liberty?"

"I suppose I am, ma'am."

"Well," said the old lady, "I came from Bucks County to see Thaddeus Stevens, the Apostle of Liberty, and to take home with me a lock of his hair."

"The Apostle of Liberty" took off his red wig and handed it to her.

"There it is, ma'am," said he. "Take as much as you want."
Re Lincoln's voice: Not only was Lincoln's voice high-pitched, it had a notable accent.

Prediction: Lincoln's predilection for dirty jokes in unmixed company will not be displayed.

PS Lincoln's first secretary of war, Simon Cameron, was a major Pennsylvania politico and long-time enemy of Stevens. Stevens said of the secretary that he would not steal a red-hot stove. Cameron's friends protested and demanded that Stevens retract this slander. Stevens agreeably said that Cameron would steal a red-hot stove!

PPS Can't resist a couple others about Stevens. Listening to a Congressman orate as he paced up and down, Steven interrupted to ask if he was going to ask for mileage.

Stevens was a fearsomely biting trial lawyer. A frustrated judge warned Stevens that he was in danger of displaying contempt for the court. Stevens replied that he was struggling mightily to conceal contempt for the court.

After introducing a bill, he looked over at an opponent who would speak next, against his bill, and announced that the next speaker would add a few feeble remarks on the subject.

In parliamentary session, where is it not done to forthrightly call a man a liar, he observed after a speech that nothing the man said was currently under judgment in a court of law.

In his last days, being carried into Congress, he once looked down at his porters and asked them who would carry him in when they were dead and gone.

Also in his last days, when a visitor commiserated on his unhealthy appearance, Stevens retorted that it wasn't his appearance that concerned him, it was his disappearance.

Every indication is that Stevens never planned a joke or anecdote but ad libbed. Apparently his best work was left out of the Congressional Record, being asides to other members on the proceedings.

In my youth I read The Clansman in my grandparents' library, where Stevens starred as one Stoneman, the true villain of the novel. Lincoln is barely acceptable nowadays, Stevens is much too radical to be acceptable. Stevens had crazy ideas about Freemasons, no crazier than Lincoln's ideas about colonization, but Stevens is barely remembered.

Last edited by stj; September 17 2012 at 03:04 AM.
stj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 08:13 AM   #27
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Looked sort of boring to me - I'd watch it on netflix on a rainy day but I wouldn't go to the cinema to see it.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 12:42 PM   #28
chrisspringob
Commodore

New trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfGYGLiqAZQ
chrisspringob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 01:16 PM   #29
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Is it in 3-D? I hope so.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 01:47 PM   #30
Creepy Critter
Admiral

Most likely will be seeing this opening weekend.