Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old September 12 2012, 10:51 AM   #61
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

Just finished "Robot". Quite silly, and the final part features some of the worst effects I can remember seeing in Who, but wonderfully entertaining regardless. Any episode featuring both Sarah Jane and the Brigadier is always worthwhile.
Old September 13 2012, 01:55 AM   #62
Aldo
Admiral

Delta and the Bannermen

I'm continuing going through Seven's serials in order, I know this is only his third one, but it's taken me this long to get around to buying it.

Actually it's a pretty fun story, a tad on the silly side, but McCoy, being my favorite Doctor makes it extremely watchable.

Still not a fan of Mel, be glad to see her off next story...and that means ACE! Always good to get a nice helping of Ace (my favorite companion, if you couldn't tell ).
Old September 13 2012, 08:59 AM   #63
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

Aldo wrote: View Post
Still not a fan of Mel, be glad to see her off next story...and that means ACE! Always good to get a nice helping of Ace (my favorite companion, if you couldn't tell ).
I was pretty keen on Ace back in the day
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2012, 03:40 PM   #64
Lowdarzz
Captain

The Green Death.

Jo Grant's final serial. A good story brought down somewhat by the writer's problems integrating the story of the giant maggots and the AI together. These elements would have probably worked better as two separate stories.

I also think Jo's departure was sudden. None of the preceding stories had any buildup or mention of her desire to leave. That said the final shot of the Third Doctor just getting in Bessie and leaving was an excellent ending.
Lowdarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2012, 03:42 PM   #65
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

Rewatched episode 3 and 6 of The Wheel in Space...

It's a shame the other episodes have been lost to the savages of time... Zoe was an amazing companion, and The Wheel in Space is a fantastic story

M
Old September 14 2012, 03:49 PM   #66
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Lowdarzz wrote: View Post
The Green Death.

Jo Grant's final serial. A good story brought down somewhat by the writer's problems integrating the story of the giant maggots and the AI together. These elements would have probably worked better as two separate stories.

I also think Jo's departure was sudden. None of the preceding stories had any buildup or mention of her desire to leave. That said the final shot of the Third Doctor just getting in Bessie and leaving was an excellent ending.
All the Classic Companions exits are sudden (With the exception of Teagan harping all the time about being over it). In the case of Jo Grant though, at least there was a 6 episode story where she fell in love and got engaged to give credibility to her hasty exit. Liz Shaw simply stopped showing up to the lab, and Jo showed up in her place, so, Liz didn't even get an exit.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2012, 04:27 PM   #67
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Liz Shaw simply stopped showing up to the lab, and Jo showed up in her place, so, Liz didn't even get an exit.
Which makes me think... What was Jo's deal exactly? What did UNIT see in her? What was her job description? Did the Brigadier spend time interviewing young women who could convincingly act like ten-year old girls, ask stupid questions and get into trouble on a daily basis?
Old September 14 2012, 04:34 PM   #68
Pindar
Rear Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Liz Shaw simply stopped showing up to the lab, and Jo showed up in her place, so, Liz didn't even get an exit.
Which makes me think... What was Jo's deal exactly? What did UNIT see in her? What was her job description? Did the Brigadier spend time interviewing young women who could convincingly act like ten-year old girls, ask stupid questions and get into trouble on a daily basis?
<lifted from wiki>Apparently, she gained the assignment to UNIT because her uncle, a high ranking civil servant had "pulled some strings"</lifted from wiki>

I seem to remember her saying she had lots of "Agent" training and was good at picking locks.

I don't remember her having any usefull skills in the episodes though.
Old September 14 2012, 05:30 PM   #69
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Pindar wrote: View Post
I don't remember her having any usefull skills in the episodes though.
She was an interesting character, wasn't she? I mean, although good-spirited, she was almost completely useless, moreso than any other companion. Barbara, Tegan or Donna would have torn her in half.
Old September 14 2012, 05:52 PM   #70
Pindar
Rear Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Barbara, Tegan or Donna would have torn her in half.
Jo was always one of my least favourite companions. She was there for th Doctor to condescend too and not much more.
Old September 14 2012, 11:15 PM   #71
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

All the Classic Companions exits are sudden (With the exception of Teagan harping all the time about being over it). In the case of Jo Grant though, at least there was a 6 episode story where she fell in love and got engaged to give credibility to her hasty exit. Liz Shaw simply stopped showing up to the lab, and Jo showed up in her place, so, Liz didn't even get an exit.
While Tegan did spend much of her early time on the TARDIS harping about how she wanted to leave, she seemed to tone it down a bit when she rejoined the Doctor & Nyssa in "Arc of Infinity." So when she decides that she's had enough of seeing good people die at the end of "Resurrection of the Daleks," it felt pretty sudden to me.

But at least there was some chemistry between Jo & that hippie scientist in "The Green Death." When Leela seemed to fall in love with some random Time Lord security guard in "The Invasion of Time," that was the most outta-left-field departure of any companion that ever got an on screen departure. (I think they should have done some last minute re-casting & rewriting so that the Time Lord that Leela falls in love with is the communications officer that accompanies Leela when she leaves the dome. At least she seemed to spend some significant amount of time with that character.)

I kinda like what they did with Liz though. Granted, it's a shame we don't actually get to see her say goodbye. But I like how the Brigadier seems to frame Liz's attitude at the time she left. "Nonsense. What you need, Doctor, as Miss Shaw herself so often remarked, is someone to pass you your test tubes, and to tell you how brilliant you are. Miss Grant will fulfil that function admirably." I also like how the Brigadier is obviously trying to pawn Jo off on the Doctor so that he doesn't have to deal with her too much personally.
Old September 15 2012, 10:11 PM   #72
Starkers
Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
While Tegan did spend much of her early time on the TARDIS harping about how she wanted to leave, she seemed to tone it down a bit when she rejoined the Doctor & Nyssa in "Arc of Infinity." So when she decides that she's had enough of seeing good people die at the end of "Resurrection of the Daleks," it felt pretty sudden to me.

But at least there was some chemistry between Jo & that hippie scientist in "The Green Death." When Leela seemed to fall in love with some random Time Lord security guard in "The Invasion of Time," that was the most outta-left-field departure of any companion that ever got an on screen departure. (I think they should have done some last minute re-casting & rewriting so that the Time Lord that Leela falls in love with is the communications officer that accompanies Leela when she leaves the dome. At least she seemed to spend some significant amount of time with that character.)

I kinda like what they did with Liz though. Granted, it's a shame we don't actually get to see her say goodbye. But I like how the Brigadier seems to frame Liz's attitude at the time she left. "Nonsense. What you need, Doctor, as Miss Shaw herself so often remarked, is someone to pass you your test tubes, and to tell you how brilliant you are. Miss Grant will fulfil that function admirably." I also like how the Brigadier is obviously trying to pawn Jo off on the Doctor so that he doesn't have to deal with her too much personally.
Yeah Leela's departure was a bit odd...was it as left field as Mel's though? Doctor I'm leaving you for a man who's likely to sell me into slavery as soon as the Tardis leaves...

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2012, 10:14 PM   #73
Pindar
Rear Admiral

Id watch a sitcom spin off with Mel and Glitz.
Old September 15 2012, 10:36 PM   #74
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post

Yeah Leela's departure was a bit odd...was it as left field as Mel's though? Doctor I'm leaving you for a man who's likely to sell me into slavery as soon as the Tardis leaves...
And Peri Became a Warrior Queen (Which I guess is a step up from her other Fate)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2012, 11:14 PM   #75
DWF
Vice Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post

And Peri Became a Warrior Queen (Which I guess is a step up from her other Fate)
Yeah but Peri's married to Brian Blessed.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote