RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,091
Posts: 5,399,167
Members: 24,735
Currently online: 355
Newest member: extremedalek

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 13 2012, 08:45 PM   #16
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: The Gimmicky Cameos Are Back! (Minor Spoilers)

VDCNI wrote: View Post
Sci wrote: View Post
VDCNI wrote: View Post
Or they had a small but crucial part and hired a big name, pretty standard practice in television.
Sure. But it's still a gimmicky cameo. Which is fine -- I like them and think they should keep comin'.
Nope it certainly isn't. It's nothing like the other cases mentioned.
I agree with VDCNI. Hiring a well-known professional actor who may admittedly be over-qualified for the size of the role he's playing, is not the same as hiring a non-actor celebrity to play themselves.
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 09:01 PM   #17
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Paddling...
Re: The Gimmicky Cameos Are Back! (Minor Spoilers)

And given the emotional nature of the part it probably helped to have a good actor in it, even if it was just for a few minutes.
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Guardians of the Galaxy review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 10:32 PM   #18
Cutter John
Rear Admiral
 
Cutter John's Avatar
 
Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, just south of Seattle.
Re: The Gimmicky Cameos Are Back! (Minor Spoilers)

Thankfully some of us Americans have the advantage of never having heard of these people.

In any case, its never been sonething that's bothered me. Even when they've done stunt casting in the past, they've generally made good use of their actors.
__________________
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 11:21 PM   #19
Rosalind
TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod
 
Location: Sydney, Australia
Re: The Gimmicky Cameos Are Back! (Minor Spoilers)

StCoop wrote: View Post
Brian Cox (the sexy science nerd, not the actor who voiced an Ood) doing the old RTD classic BBC News clip routine.
that is simply marvelous!!!
Rosalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2012, 02:28 AM   #20
Candlelight
Admiral
 
Candlelight's Avatar
 
Location: New Zealand
Re: The Gimmicky Cameos Are Back! (Minor Spoilers)

I had to google who both of these people were.
__________________
"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
Candlelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2012, 05:24 AM   #21
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: The Gimmicky Cameos Are Back! (Minor Spoilers)

We've had Sir Patrick Moore, so of course having Brian Cox is the next logical step.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2012, 09:53 AM   #22
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral
 
Dimesdan's Avatar
 
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: The Gimmicky Cameos Are Back! (Minor Spoilers)

Sci wrote: View Post
Meredith Vieira in "The Wedding of River Song."
Who?
__________________
People in third world countries are so lucky they don't have to deal with these problems. - TheGodBen

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2012, 12:33 PM   #23
HappyDayRiot
Commodore
 
HappyDayRiot's Avatar
 
Location: Cardiff, Wales
Re: The Gimmicky Cameos Are Back! (Minor Spoilers)

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
Sci wrote: View Post
Meredith Vieira in "The Wedding of River Song."
Who?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meredith_Vieira

I had no idea either.
__________________
"All you ever feel is anger. Why can't you ever express anything else?" Francine
"Because people make me mad all the time for being stupid about everything!" Stan
HappyDayRiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2012, 12:36 PM   #24
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain
 
Mister Fandango's Avatar
 
Re: The Gimmicky Cameos Are Back! (Minor Spoilers)

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Ah, so famous actors aren't allowed to be offered roles unless it's a role comparable to Shakespearean?

Perhaps he's a fan, and wanted any role just to be part of Doctor Who (Star Trek Movies have several of these cameos, where actors just wanted to be part of it, and weren't worried about the role, IE: CHristian Slater and Winona Rider played Spocks mom in the new movie for about 30 seconds, hardly a deep role).

Perhaps he did it for a Grandchild/neice/nephew.

Maybe he had 10 minutes available in between movie roles and thought it would be fun.....
So what exactly is a ''gimmicky cameo'' then? Considering the examples you gave above, aren't they all actors playing a role, no matter how small or trivial it is?
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2012, 01:08 PM   #25
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: The Gimmicky Cameos Are Back! (Minor Spoilers)

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Ah, so famous actors aren't allowed to be offered roles unless it's a role comparable to Shakespearean?

Perhaps he's a fan, and wanted any role just to be part of Doctor Who (Star Trek Movies have several of these cameos, where actors just wanted to be part of it, and weren't worried about the role, IE: CHristian Slater and Winona Rider played Spocks mom in the new movie for about 30 seconds, hardly a deep role).

Perhaps he did it for a Grandchild/neice/nephew.

Maybe he had 10 minutes available in between movie roles and thought it would be fun.....
So what exactly is a ''gimmicky cameo'' then? Considering the examples you gave above, aren't they all actors playing a role, no matter how small or trivial it is?
Not sure if you've confused who said what, I was arguing Bill Nighy, Christian Slater, and Winona Rider are all actors, it's their job, it's what they do, so, no they aren't Gimmicky. Hiring non-actors to play themselves or Pop stars for cameos (IE: Britney Spears on How I Met Your Mother) or the other examples that were listed as gimmicky
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2012, 05:34 PM   #26
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: The Gimmicky Cameos Are Back! (Minor Spoilers)

Of course, they've already had the other Brian Cox, as a voice over for The End of Time.
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2012, 05:49 PM   #27
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: The Gimmicky Cameos Are Back! (Minor Spoilers)

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Of course, they've already had the other Brian Cox, as a voice over for The End of Time.
Gotta catch them all.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2012, 05:53 PM   #28
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: The Gimmicky Cameos Are Back! (Minor Spoilers)

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Of course, they've already had the other Brian Cox, as a voice over for The End of Time.
Gotta catch them all.
They love their Cox.
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2012, 08:52 PM   #29
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain
 
Mister Fandango's Avatar
 
Re: The Gimmicky Cameos Are Back! (Minor Spoilers)

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Not sure if you've confused who said what, I was arguing Bill Nighy, Christian Slater, and Winona Rider are all actors, it's their job, it's what they do, so, no they aren't Gimmicky. Hiring non-actors to play themselves or Pop stars for cameos (IE: Britney Spears on How I Met Your Mother) or the other examples that were listed as gimmicky
No, I'm not confused. You basically said that if an actor is getting a role, its because they're an actor. "It's their job." And then you proceeded to list all kinds of silly reasons that apply to anyone who'd be interested in such a thing, including being a Doctor Who fan as enough of a reason to be on the show.

So what if they're playing themselves or someone else? So what if this is their first job as an actor? They're in front of the camera, reading lines, playing a role, and being directed. Or, what, "actors" can only be actors if that's all they do, and if they make money through any other means they're "gimmicky?" I guess that means Bones showing up at the end of TNG's premiere wasn't a gimmicky cameo because he was an actor playing a role? How about Steve Martin in The Jerk or Eddie Murphy in 48 Hours? They were comedians not "actors," so why weren't they gimmicky?

Sorry, but it's all nonsense. Actual cameos themselves are what are gimmicky, whether the actor is playing themself, a famous character of theirs, or someone else entirely.

Of course, you have to then decide what counts as a cameo and what counts as a guest appearance.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2012, 09:02 PM   #30
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: The Gimmicky Cameos Are Back! (Minor Spoilers)

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Not sure if you've confused who said what, I was arguing Bill Nighy, Christian Slater, and Winona Rider are all actors, it's their job, it's what they do, so, no they aren't Gimmicky. Hiring non-actors to play themselves or Pop stars for cameos (IE: Britney Spears on How I Met Your Mother) or the other examples that were listed as gimmicky
No, I'm not confused. You basically said that if an actor is getting a role, its because they're an actor. "It's their job." And then you proceeded to list all kinds of silly reasons that apply to anyone who'd be interested in such a thing, including being a Doctor Who fan as enough of a reason to be on the show.

So what if they're playing themselves or someone else? So what if this is their first job as an actor? They're in front of the camera, reading lines, playing a role, and being directed. Or, what, "actors" can only be actors if that's all they do, and if they make money through any other means they're "gimmicky?" I guess that means Bones showing up at the end of TNG's premiere wasn't a gimmicky cameo because he was an actor playing a role? How about Steve Martin in The Jerk or Eddie Murphy in 48 Hours? They were comedians not "actors," so why weren't they gimmicky?

Sorry, but it's all nonsense. Actual cameos themselves are what are gimmicky, whether the actor is playing themself, a famous character of theirs, or someone else entirely.

Of course, you have to then decide what counts as a cameo and what counts as a guest appearance.
The reasons I gave such as "being a Doctor Who Fan", were explanations of why they would take such a small role.

Steve Martin and Eddie Murphy were the stars, starting their Acting careers, that's entirely different then a "one Off" cameo.

And no, I didn't say, if an actor is getting a role, its because they're an actor. What I said was if an Actor is a career actor, it's what their job is, it's not a stunt to offer them a job, even if it is a small role.
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.