I would love to create a new Star Trek Series

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Sexy Human, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Wow, the snark level is here is up to 11.

2. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I look forward to patronizing your new Star Trek series.

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Has CBS rejected their pitch? I havent heard that. For all we know, nobody has pitched CBS, at least nobody who can get in the door to do a pitch.

Maybe CBS is waiting for Abrams & the gang to get to a point in their busy schedules where the time is right for a TV pitch, because CBS wants to work with the winning team and certainly doesn't want to pre-empt that possibility.

It would make sense if a TV pitch waits till the next movie solidifies that Trek Is Back, and the production schedule will allow the series launch to coincide more or less with the third movie, for maximum PR boost.

4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I distinctly remember reading about Orci pitching an animated series idea to CBS. But you could be right; for all I know nothing was pitched.

5. Sexy Human

Sexy Human Lieutenant

Maybe I should write a book and hope that it is so dominant that someone wants to make a movie of it.

This book Im about to write really needs to not suck shit.

6. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

"Dominant"? lol

7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Books that "suck shit" as you so eloquently put it, get made into movies all the time, sometimes even highly successful ones. Anyone who has read the original Forrest Gump novel will know what I mean.

8. NrobbieC

NrobbieC Commander Red Shirt

I'm fully prepared for your book to never get published and become a movie solely in your head :techman:

9. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

Y'all are super nice.

10. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

By TrekBBS standards, we are. :D

Orci said here that he has not officially pitched a series to CBS - yet.

The mention of "beautiful timing" makes me think "launching the fall after Abrams' third movie debuts" is what he means. Backing up further, "official pitch to CBS to coincide with news of big box office for Abrams' second movie" is the most beautiful way to kick the process off, and leave plenty of time for developing a series and third movie in parallel.

That is, if they have the bandwidth, with all the other projects to juggle. If not, maybe they announce the series with the third movie debut and launch afterwards. Not as good on the PR front but still viable, assuming all three movies are hits.

But Orci has dibs'ed Trek now. CBS won't kick him aside and go with someone else when someone with maximum credbility like that as alread put a stake in the ground. And he might very well have made his informal not-a-pitch in order to put a stake in the ground, just in case Seth McFarlane or Bryan Fuller started to get big ideas.

And everyone wants to avoid stepping on anyone's toes. The players are CBS, Paramount and Bad Robot. They will figure out the details of a TV series between them and odds are slight that they will let anyone else in the sandbox, since it's a crowded sandbox already. I just hope we don't get Trek-by-Committee out of this.

11. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I think the "Coordinate with Paramount" part, is ensuring Paramount won't want to continue with Abrams Trek after the third movie, and/or that a Trek Series wouldn't be counterproductive to their plans after the Abrams Trilogy, if they keep it a trilogy.

Bad Robot will most likely be scheduling coordination, and CBS will be the willingness to part with the investment, based upon how the Paramount and Bad Robot line up.

But, yea, I definitely think starting to put it together after a successful opening of Into Darkness to be launched right after the 3rd movie opens, is the most likely best "Hot Iron" to strike with

12. NrobbieC

NrobbieC Commander Red Shirt

RIP Good Trek

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Well, that's one opinion.

14. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

And probably a minor one at that.

15. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

At least Bryan Fuller's actually written a couple episodes, and decent episodes at that.

The thought of Seth MacFarlane being a writer for Trek, however, gives me a shiver...

16. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

I also get a shiver of joy every time I hear that the executive producer of the follow-up series to PBS's "Cosmos" [LINK] wants to write/produce a new Trek series as well.

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I don't know?

He has the advantage of never having worked on Trek before and is obviously a huge fan based on all the nods it gets on his shows.

Having someone with those credentials could be a blessing or a curse...

18. ChristopherPike

Isn't Brannon Braga also working on that Cosmos reboot for Fox?

[dodges rotten tomatoes & ugh... much worse]

:lol:

19. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

20. ChristopherPike

TV shows have so many Producers these days, that if you put them all end-to-end, I doubt anyone would really care where this analogy was going...