Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old February 29 2012, 07:39 AM   #31
Mr_Homn
Captain

Re: Top Ten Worst Episodes?

EEE wrote: View Post
Admiral Shran wrote: View Post
^ Okay, why not.

9 VOTES
And the Children Shall Lead

7 VOTES
The Alternative Factor
The Omega Glory
The Way to Eden

6 VOTES
Catspaw
Plato's Stepchildren
The Mark of Gideon

5 VOTES
Charlie X
Spock's Brain

4 VOTES
Let That Be Your Last Battlefield
Mudd's Women

3 VOTES

The Empath

2 VOTES

Assignment: Earth
Metamophosis
Shore Leave
The Cloud Minders
The Gamesters of Triskelion
Turnabout Intruder

1 VOTE
All Our Yesterdays
A Piece of the Action
A Private Little War
Elaan of Troyius
For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Friday's Child
I, Mudd
Is There in Truth No Beauty
Miri
Patterns of Force
Requiem for Methuselah
Spectre of the Gun
That Which Survives
The Apple
The Enterprise Incident
The Man Trap
The Paradise Syndrome
The Return of the Archons
The Ultimate Computer
Whom Gods Destroy
Who Mourns for Adonais?
Wink of an Eye
Wolf in the Fold
Interesting how over half of Star Trek is hated by Star Trek "fans." Times have changed.
I can assure you that most of the episodes with more than 2 votes on that list have always been pretty universally disliked by most, not all, with an exception or two. times haven't really changed in that regard. good shows can have bad episodes, dont be so defensive
Old March 2 2012, 12:43 AM   #32
john7865
Cadet

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
10. Spock's Brain
9. Elaan of Troyius
8. Patterns of Force
7. Wolf in the Fold
6. Turnabout Intruder
5. Spectre of the Gun
4. Plato's Stepchildren
3. The Way to Eden
2. Catspaw
1. And the Children Shall Lead
I agree with you.
Old March 16 2012, 12:50 AM   #33
Knight Templar
Commodore

I think Spock's Brain, at least the first half isn't that bad.

I think people remember it so much because when originally telecast, it was the Season 3 premier.
Knight Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2012, 04:32 PM   #34
TOSalltheway
Lieutenant Commander

Every bad episode had at least some element to it that made it worth watching, even Spocks Brain had camp appeal. One big exception...Alternative Factor. Horrible writing, horrible acting, even that stupid hair on Lazarus. It is the one episode that I turn off.
TOSalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 12:44 AM   #35
Knight Templar
Commodore

TOSalltheway wrote: View Post
Every bad episode had at least some element to it that made it worth watching, even Spocks Brain had camp appeal. One big exception...Alternative Factor. Horrible writing, horrible acting, even that stupid hair on Lazarus. It is the one episode that I turn off.
On the other hand, The Alternative Factor did have a nice perspective of the Enterprise firing its phasers that was never seen before or since.
Old March 19 2012, 06:13 PM   #36
TOSalltheway
Lieutenant Commander

On the other hand, The Alternative Factor did have a nice perspective of the Enterprise firing its phasers that was never seen before or since.

I forgot about that...I stand corrected. Plus it was filmed on location. Is it just me or does Trek look at its best filmed in natural outdoor settings and its worst on those horrible sets made to resemble planet exteriors.
TOSalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2012, 04:55 AM   #37
scotpens
Vice Admiral

TOSalltheway wrote: View Post

I forgot about that...I stand corrected. Plus it was filmed on location. Is it just me or does Trek look at its best filmed in natural outdoor settings and its worst on those horrible sets made to resemble planet exteriors.
“The Alternative Factor” had both. Location scenes were shot at Vasquez Rocks . . .

. . . and the “antimatter universe” was a soundstage set.

I never minded the fake-looking planet exterior sets (and they did look pretty fake, even back in 1967). They were part of the look and style of TOS Trek. I accepted them as stylized representations of reality.
Old March 21 2012, 05:00 AM   #38
Knight Templar
Commodore

anyone know whatever happened to Lazarus's small ship?

I could swear I saw it or parts of it in another series or movie somewhere.
Old September 12 2012, 05:41 AM   #39
JimZipCode
Lieutenant Commander

EEE wrote: View Post
Interesting how over half of Star Trek is hated by Star Trek "fans." Times have changed.
Actually, there is an interesting point in there. I have been a Star Trek fan all my life
(I mean Star Trek, not NextGen or Deep9 or any of the other spinoffs)
but it is a fact that some of the original episodes were terrible. That fact came as something of a shock to me as I grew up and started to realize it, maybe around when I entered my teens. As I've grown older I've only become pickier, or maybe more sensitive/embarrassed about the flaws in even the above-average episodes. My list of episodes that are actually "good", good without reservation, grows shorter. Nowadays, I curmudgeonly might qualify less than a third or a fourth of the episodes as "good".

And yet I love it.

Why do I love it so much? What do I love about it?

Our love for the series, the original series, is disproportionate to the quality of the episodes. What's another way to say this? We love TOS more than we love any individual episode. Somehow TOS is better than any of its episodes. Its crappiest episodes do not drag it down. How is that possible? What do we love about it?
JimZipCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 05:57 AM   #40
Captain McBain
Captain

Location: Being congratulated on the bridge of the Enterprise after making captain

Problem is, some people might actually love the episodes that are on these lists. New fans should watch for themselves, instead of taking another person's word for it.
Captain McBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 05:20 PM   #41
Delta Vega
Lieutenant Commander

I have watched Star Trek for 40 years, love the show its characters, its flaws, its moments of genius.

I have favourite episodes, and I have least favourites, even about three or four that I consider to be embarrassing, but at this rate, on this thread, just about every episode of Star Trek has been included as being shit.

Is this a Star Trek bashers forum ?
Delta Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 11:43 PM   #42
Nacluv
Lieutenant Commander

1. Spectre of the Gun
2. The Way to Eden
3. The Lights of Zetar
4. Catspaw
5. And the Children Shall Lead
6. Let That Be Your Last Battlefield
7. Elaan of Troyius
8. Plato's Stepchildren
9. Turnabout Intruder
10. Spock's Brain
Nacluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 11:58 PM   #43
Neutral Zone
Captain

I tried to think of ten but could only come with the one:

Spock's Brain.

Most of the rest are great or at leat passable.
Neutral Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 02:40 AM   #44
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

There are only two that I'd call unwatchable:

That Which Survives - It just strikes the wrong tone throughout, especially with Spock's exessive sarcasm. Feels as if the writer had never even seen Star Trek.

The Empath - I can truly say I have never made it though this episode without actually, literally falling asleep. Maybe I shouldn't judge it without having seen all of it, but I don't think that's going to be a realistic possibility.

But I'll add a third:

Spock's Brain - ... although it's so mind-manglingly bad that I find it immensely entertaining.
BoredShipCapt'n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 06:49 PM   #45
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

This is all subjective and really "your 10 least favorite episodes." I don't think I really hate any of them. However, some episode are a chore for me to sit through, even if there are things about them individually that I enjoy.

Charlie X: the singing, the painful ass slapping antics and Kirk in tights. They should have smacked Charlie shitless "when I came aboard!"

Miri: No blah blah blah. Kirk creepily comes onto Miri from minute one.

Mudd's Women: the sleazy music, the ass ogling and Roger C. Carmel. No thanks.

I, Mudd: Roger C. Carmel. The over the top humor. The evacuated invisible crew. I am not programmed to respond in that area.

The Apple: Chekov constantly macking on Yeoman Landon, the planet of blonde people who laugh at kissing, the virtual replay of the ending of Who Mourns of Adonias and Mallory, who was trying not to be noticed, screaming his bloody head off before stepping on the exploding rock.

Patterns of Force: "Hitler made the trains run on time, so let's pattern a government after the Nazi's." The most misguided Trek ever.

A Piece of the Action: okay, I do hate one episode and this is it. Only a single funny line in the whole episode (Spock: "I'd advise yez ta keep dialin', Oxmyx"). Anything with Vic Tayback is bound to be obnoxious.

And the Children Shall Lead: the circle jerking kids, the fat phantom, Uhura's mirror at her station and Sulu's fear of Space Knives. What's to like?

Mark of Gideon: WTF? That is all.

The Way to Eden: actually treats young people as badly as Miri. And when did Chekov become such a tight ass? "His name was Adam." Thanks for hammering that home Spock.

Runner up: This Side of Paradise, merely for the painfully bad Jill Ireland. The only thing I ever saw her in that I liked was the Man from Uncle episode where she played a stripper. She had a HELL of a figure.

Last edited by ssosmcin; September 14 2012 at 04:28 AM.
ssosmcin is offline   Reply With Quote