Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 12 2012, 02:00 AM   #1531
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

I was very disappointed with the remake of Coma on A&E.
Old September 12 2012, 06:58 PM   #1532
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Actually they've started doing some pretty good (IMO) scripted shows the last two or three years. I've really enjoyed Breakout Kings, The Glades, and Longmire.
I tried Breakout Kings and a little of Longmire, neither impressed me. Glades looked too derivative to bother with. It's a step in the right direction, though. Anything's better than more reality crap.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 07:03 PM   #1533
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Actually they've started doing some pretty good (IMO) scripted shows the last two or three years. I've really enjoyed Breakout Kings, The Glades, and Longmire.
I tried Breakout Kings and a little of Longmire, neither impressed me.
Shame. I'd heard mixed things about Longmire but was thinking of watching it if/when it ever showed up here. Poor man's Justified, people called it, only this one has Katee Sackhoff.

I'll probably catch the pilot regardless. Can't be worse than Awake, can it?
Old September 12 2012, 08:22 PM   #1534
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I barely hung in there with Awake...it had its moments but I'm not sad it got cancelled and even though they didn't intend it that way, the season finale works fine as a series finale.

Short interview with Whedon on S.H.I.E.L.D series. Basically, it's going to focus on new characters, who aren't superheroes but have to live in a superhero reality, nothing too surprising there.
Old September 12 2012, 09:00 PM   #1535
Christopher
Writer

Awake had a fantastic pilot, but I wasn't sure the concept was sustainable as a series, and I don't think the network was either, because they kept retooling it and the series we got was inconsistent and unfocused. I wish it had been a movie instead.

As for SHIELD, I wonder, does that mean completely new characters, or will there be some comics characters who are new to the MCU, like maybe Bobbi Morse or Clay Quartermain?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 11:21 PM   #1536
sojourner
Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
Shame. I'd heard mixed things about Longmire but was thinking of watching it if/when it ever showed up here. Poor man's Justified, people called it, only this one has Katee Sackhoff.

Longmire is great. Give it a chance. Not "a poor man's Justified". Totally different tone.
Old September 13 2012, 03:23 AM   #1537
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

CW High School monster drama.

The high-concept Copeland Prep is set at the premier secondary school in the nation, which is so fiercely competitive it’s turning its students into monsters — literally — and spreading the disturbing ramifications throughout the town.
Odd premise description...is the stress causing the kids to become monsters, or does becoming a monster give you a competitive edge in life? If this weren't the CW, I'd suspect they were going for social satire...
Old September 13 2012, 03:32 AM   #1538
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

CW High School monster drama.

The high-concept Copeland Prep is set at the premier secondary school in the nation, which is so fiercely competitive it’s turning its students into monsters — literally — and spreading the disturbing ramifications throughout the town.
Odd premise description...is the stress causing the kids to become monsters, or does becoming a monster give you a competitive edge in life? If this weren't the CW, I'd suspect they were going for social satire...
Could be some kind of "Steroid" or "Compound" to open up the mind, give more sports or Musical prowess... Several Horror flicks have been built around a similar premise. Even a Doctor Who episode (With Anthony Stewart Head as Head Master) explored giving something to the kids to make them smarter.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 03:39 AM   #1539
lennier1
Commodore

I barely hung in there with Awake...it had its moments but I'm not sad it got cancelled and even though they didn't intend it that way, the season finale works fine as a series finale.

Short interview with Whedon on S.H.I.E.L.D series. Basically, it's going to focus on new characters, who aren't superheroes but have to live in a superhero reality, nothing too surprising there.
With a new superhero movie popping up every other week the idea of this world viewed through the eyes of normal people actually sounds kinda refreshing for a change.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 03:42 AM   #1540
JD
Admiral

I tried Breakout Kings and a little of Longmire, neither impressed me. Glades looked too derivative to bother with. It's a step in the right direction, though. Anything's better than more reality crap.
Glades is a lot of fun. It is pretty much you're standard cop show premise, but it's got great characters and writing.
Same goes for BK. I'm more than happy to watch a show these kinds of shows as long and I like the characters and the writing, and with both shows those elements are outstanding.
sojourner wrote: View Post
Kegg wrote: View Post

Longmire is great. Give it a chance. Not "a poor man's Justified". Totally different tone.
Agreed.
Old September 13 2012, 04:37 AM   #1541
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

deadline.com

NBC has bought a drama from Switched At Birth executive producer Becky Hartman Edwards, Sony TV and Will Gluck’s studio-based TV production company Olive Bridge Entertainment. The untitled project is described as a character-driven soap set in a small isolated Colorado town where the residents slowly discover that their lives are being manipulated by forces beyond their control. Edwards is writing and is executive producing with Gluck, while Richard Schwartz is co-exec producing.
Old September 13 2012, 04:40 AM   #1542
JD
Admiral

That is to vague for me to have any kind of a reaction to it.
Old September 13 2012, 09:22 AM   #1543
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Eventually they come in contact with the outside world and realize that everybody else has known this all along.
Old September 13 2012, 07:00 PM   #1544
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
deadline.com

NBC has bought a drama from Switched At Birth executive producer Becky Hartman Edwards, Sony TV and Will Gluck’s studio-based TV production company Olive Bridge Entertainment. The untitled project is described as a character-driven soap set in a small isolated Colorado town where the residents slowly discover that their lives are being manipulated by forces beyond their control. Edwards is writing and is executive producing with Gluck, while Richard Schwartz is co-exec producing.
I thought about posting that news, but couldn't really tell if it's genre from that description. My bet is, it will turn out to be...
Old September 13 2012, 11:43 PM   #1545
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
where the residents slowly discover that their lives are being manipulated by forces beyond their control.
That's pretty much ALL soaps, innit?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote