Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 12 2012, 11:59 PM   #16
Nacluv
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Should the remastered episodes be released on DVD?

I couldn't really care less about Bluray so the answer is yes.
Nacluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 12:27 AM   #17
gastrof
Rear Admiral

Can someone tell me what the output jacks are like on a typical Blu-ray player? Assuming they have the traditional (in the States) red and white RCA jacks for audio (no doubt along with digital audio), what video output formats do they have?
Old September 13 2012, 01:14 AM   #18
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

gastrof wrote: View Post
Can someone tell me what the output jacks are like on a typical Blu-ray player? Assuming they have the traditional (in the States) red and white RCA jacks for audio (no doubt along with digital audio), what video output formats do they have?
My Magnavox, which is three years old, has HDMI, Component (RGB) and Composite (yellow) video outs and HDMI (one cable handles both), Optical and Stereo audio outs.

The Composite video out will only carry a 480i (SD) signal.
Old September 13 2012, 01:53 AM   #19
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

I suspect any BD player will have all three "standard" output options on it. (Component, Composite and HDMI.)

But, really, HDMI is the only way you should go with BD.
Old September 13 2012, 01:57 AM   #20
Dream
Admiral

It would be a waste of time.

Also the current dvd sets being sold every where would become worthless.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 02:10 AM   #21
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

If they released them on DVD, they wouldn't sell as many Blu-rays. Simple as that.

By offering the series only on Blu-ray, they've got at least some people going "Well, guess it's time to upgrade!" Those people would be content to just stick with their old DVD players if they offered it on both formats.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 02:17 PM   #22
The Laughing Vulcan
Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
If they released them on DVD, they wouldn't sell as many Blu-rays. Simple as that.

By offering the series only on Blu-ray, they've got at least some people going "Well, guess it's time to upgrade!" Those people would be content to just stick with their old DVD players if they offered it on both formats.
See, I disagree completely with this. The industry should not drive change in technology, the consumer should. VHS died a natural death because DVD and PVRs were better. DVD should also be allowed to die of old age, not be taken out back while it's still in its prime and shot, just because there's a young whippersnapper with go faster stripes.

If the demand for TNG-R on DVD is there, then the studios should cater for it. I just wonder if the demand is there.

Anime @ MyReviewer
The Laughing Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 03:19 PM   #23
Nacluv
Lieutenant Commander

I also think that the whole fixation with releasing movies on Bluray takes the focus away from movies and TV series that haven't even been released on DVD (maybe not even VHS). It's all about upgrading movies, who have already had 20+ DVD releases.
Old September 13 2012, 03:52 PM   #24
Nacluv
Lieutenant Commander

Like I said, if I weren't content with the way my TNG DVDs are, then of course I'd want the remastered editions to be released on DVD since I don't personally own a Bluray player.

And people who claims that it is futile to release the remastered on DVD are of course amblyopic partisans. I myself love the more equiposed colors of the TOS-R editions.

DVD:

TOS-R DVD:

TOS-R Bluray:
Old September 13 2012, 05:58 PM   #25
Mott the barber
Commodore

The Laughing Vulcan wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post

See, I disagree completely with this. The industry should not drive change in technology, the consumer should. VHS died a natural death because DVD and PVRs were better. DVD should also be allowed to die of old age, not be taken out back while it's still in its prime and shot, just because there's a young whippersnapper with go faster stripes.

If the demand for TNG-R on DVD is there, then the studios should cater for it. I just wonder if the demand is there.
But that's just it...DVD's haven't been in their "prime" for years now. When TOS-R came out, there was still more DVD overlap because Blu-Rays were much newer on the scene a few years ago. This isn't the case anymore.

As far as demand goes, I'd put good money on it that most fans would MUCH prefer the Blu-Ray. You'd be missing out on the whole point of the remastering project watching in 480i!
Old September 13 2012, 06:36 PM   #26
BillJ
Admiral

Nacluv wrote: View Post
Like I said, if I weren't content with the way my TNG DVDs are, then of course I'd want the remastered editions to be released on DVD since I don't personally own a Bluray player.

And people who claims that it is futile to release the remastered on DVD are of course amblyopic partisans. I myself love the more equiposed colors of the TOS-R editions.
Now blow up the DVD to match the size of the Blu-ray version.

At the end of the day, it's not on DVD. If I own a PS3 and a game I want to play comes out exclusively for XBox 360, I either get a 360 or I don't play. It was only a matter of time before we started seeing Blu-ray exclusives... I'm just surprised it took this long.
Old September 13 2012, 06:40 PM   #27
The Laughing Vulcan
Admiral

I'm not talking in their prime as in surfing the wave of technology, I'm talking in their prime as currently holding market saturation. Everyone has a DVD player, not everyone has a Blu-ray player. Even today, very few Blu-ray releases outsell the equivalent DVDs. In that situation, it makes sense to release everything on DVD.

The industry wants DVD dead, they want everyone to upgrade their DVDs to Blu the way that people filled up skips full of VHS tapes when DVD came out. It's why so many movies and shows are released as combos, where you get Blu-ray, DVD and digital all in one box. At the end of the year, they'll tot up the number and say we sold so many Blu-ray units, and decide that DVD should die, even if 70% of the people who bought the combo can't even play the Blu.

and as for the reason for releasing it on DVD, the film quality TNG-R at 480i will blow the video quality original TNG at 480i out of the water. It won't be Blu-ray but it will still be infinitely better than what was originally released. You have to remember how crap the original TNG DVDs actually are...

Anime @ MyReviewer
The Laughing Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 06:42 PM   #28
Dream
Admiral

I actually really like the silver season box packaging that holds my TNG dvds. They look really nice and classy.

At least it didn't look super cheap like the plastic DS9 season sets or plastic VOY sets that are going to fall apart after a few uses. Since the sets are so expensive, you would think Paramount could have gone with better dvd packaging!
Old September 13 2012, 06:49 PM   #29
Dream
Admiral

You have to remember how crap the original TNG DVDs actually are...
They weren't crap. TNG dvds were first released in 2002. They were fine for when they first came out, but not now obviously now that televisions have gotten so much better.

It is really outrangous that Paramount is still selling all Trek season dvd sets for $50 each after ten years though!
Old September 13 2012, 06:51 PM   #30
BillJ
Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
You have to remember how crap the original TNG DVDs actually are...
They weren't crap. TNG dvds were first released in 2002. They were fine for when they first came out, but not now obviously now that televisions have gotten so much better.
They were crap when they first came out. Especially when compared to other things being released on DVD.