Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 9 2012, 02:30 PM   #271
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

RandyS wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post

Not to mention Tron, Time Bandits, and Time After Time.

Heck, he's even in Titanic!
Twice as a matter of fact. Before David Warner played a fictional characters in the 1997 movie, he also played real life passenger Lawrence Beasly in 1979's SOS TITANIC.

Sorry to derail the point of the thread. To get it back on track, OP: glad you saw "Eyes". That's one of my favorites of season 1.
Three times IIRC. I'm pretty sure he was also in 'A Night to Remember'!

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Eyes (Babylon 5) - Another B5 episode that shows that the future of humanity isn't pretty, in fact, government wise, it gets worse. They had a colonel who was pretty much psychotic going around interrogating people with a telepath. I hope the "loyalty brain scan" isn't wide spread. Even for Babylon 5's universe, thats pretty screwed up. I get how it would be done in investigations, and it sounds like the regulations don't allow for scans without charges (even if the colonel tried to interpret the rules that way), but the fact that such a psycho could go so far is kind of freaky (not that I should be surprised, it seems like 90% of the politicians are corrupt, and probably 75% of the military). I liked seeing Jeffrey Combs, its always cool seeing him cameo in stuff, and I liked that his character wasn't a part of the colonel's insanity, he was just doing his job and stopped the colonel when it turned out he was unstable. The motorcycle parts felt like product placement, and were kind of annoying, but not a big deal. I can't say I really liked this episode, but it wasn't a bad episode.
JMS was very careful to establish that there are very specific rules regarding the use of a telepath in any kind of courtroom setting. For example, legally speaking you can't just have a telepath scan someone accused of a crime to establish their guilt or innocence. The presumption of innocence, the right of due process and the burden of evidence still exists and are very carefully guarded. Anything a teep sees while in the mind of a defendant is inadmissible in a court of law.

Most of what we see Talia doing as a commercial teep are surface scans between two consenting business persons in order to determine if a negotiator is being truthful or attempting to deceive. In those cases the teep's employer must simply take their word for it, but that kind of thing doesn't fly on the witness stand.

What they can do however is scan a (consenting) victim or witness to *help* them remember details of the crime, but again, the teep's own perceptions are not admissible unless supported by corroborating physical or overwhelming circumstantial evidence. The Psi Corps novels go into this a little more and it's explained that the reason behind all this has to do with a certain well known historical precedent (contrary to pressure from certain senators in Earthdome.) The (co)founder of Psi Corps didn't want to risk a similar backlash to his teeps that occurred in the wake of the Salem trials...not that he hesitated to use his teeps for some very shady dealings himself, but that's another story.

As for these "loyalty scans"; they're a new thing, mostly due to the social/political fallout from the Earth-Minbari War and you'll hear more about what's behind them later on down the line.

Last edited by Reverend; September 9 2012 at 04:36 PM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 03:45 PM   #272
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
RandyS wrote: View Post

Not to mention Tron, Time Bandits, and Time After Time.

Heck, he's even in Titanic!
Twice as a matter of fact. Before David Warner played a fictional characters in the 1997 movie, he also played real life passenger Lawrence Beasly in 1979's SOS TITANIC.
Three times IIRC. I'm pretty sure he was also in 'A Night to Remember'!
Remind me not to take a cruise with David Warner!
Old September 9 2012, 04:31 PM   #273
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Or you could look at it this way: anyone who has been able to be on-board for two doomed voyages and yet is still around to be on a *third* is someone you might want to stick very close to. I mean, he must be doing something right, no?
Old September 9 2012, 04:40 PM   #274
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Or you could look at it this way: anyone who has been able to be on-board for two doomed voyages and yet is still around to be on a *third* is someone you might want to stick very close to. I mean, he must be doing something right, no?
But did he actually survive in the movies?
Old September 9 2012, 07:55 PM   #275
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Almost certainly not, but I wouldn't let little things like *logic* or *rational thought* get in the way of a good idea.
Old September 10 2012, 02:37 AM   #276
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

Must say, with him liking Infection and TKO (which I put as the 2nd and 3ed weakest episodes in Seasons 1-4) I think he is in very good shape to enjoy Babylon 5
Old September 10 2012, 07:12 PM   #277
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Legacies (Babylon 5) - This was an enjoyable episode. I liked the parts with the telepath. I guessed early on she'd be the one who would discover what happened to the body. The parts with the warriors was kind of predictable, but still interesting. Overal, an entertaining episode.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 09:21 PM   #278
Reverend
Rear Admiral

While that girl's "acting" hits me like nails on a chalkboard, I do like this episode as it gives us our first glimpse at the intricacies of Minbari society. Up until his point all we've had to go on are Delenn & Lennier, both of whom are religious caste and now we get to see the buggers who nearly wiped humans off the face of the galaxy. I think the caste system was mentioned but this is the first time we see that they're not a homogenised culture, but instead have some very distinct contrasts.

It's just a shame that we never really got to see much of the worker caste (I think only one had a speaking role in the whole series!) From reading the 'To Dream in the City of Sorrows' novel one gets the sense that they're so much more down-to-earth and easy going that either of the religious or warrior castes, who are each very uptight in their own ways.
Old September 12 2012, 12:12 PM   #279
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

they're so much more down-to-earth and easy going
Down-to-Minbar?
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 03:42 PM   #280
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^That too.
Old September 13 2012, 01:54 AM   #281
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Mind the Baby (Farscape) - The first episode of season 2 is pretty good, but it was a bit weird. Does D'Argo look different? He looks a bit different to me, like they screwed with his look. It's not bad, but its not an improvement, either. Of course, I may just be insane So, Scorpius has something that gets inserted in his head like he's a cyborg or robot. I'm kind of interested, although I'm still not sold on Scorpius being a recurring villain (although he has gotten more interesting than he was originally). I do want to know why he's obsessed with John. Maybe it was because John could resist the chair a bit, but that doesn't seem right. Talon is proving to be nothing but trouble. He attacks Moya, bonds with Crais, honestly I can only think of 2 reasons for trying to get talon back 1) Moya wants to, and 2) to keep him away from the Peacekeepers. If it wasn't for that, I'd say let him go. It may sound harsh, but he only brings trouble, usually in the form of life treatening situations. Also, Zhaan was going weird for awhile, but I'm glad she didn't stay that way too long. John was acting weird, too (I was not a fan of the weird voice he seemed to be doing at times, it reminded me of Christian bale's lame batman voice ). Overall, a good episode, and an interesting start to the season.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 02:48 AM   #282
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I noticed the different look for D'Argo too. I think they adjusted his coloration somewhat.

To me, Scorpius is always an interesting villain. You never really know what he's up to, or where he gonna go. He has more facets than most villains.

The thing in his head is
It's explained a little later in season 2.

My favorite episode of season 2 (maybe of all time) is Out Of Their Minds. I won't spoil it for you, but it's a crazy one.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 04:15 AM   #283
JD
Admiral

I think most of the puppet and makeup based characters went through at least one or two revisions as the show went on.
Old September 13 2012, 01:54 PM   #284
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Even Worf's ridges changed early on in TNG.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 03:23 PM   #285
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Mind the Baby (Farscape) - The first episode of season 2 is pretty good, but it was a bit weird. Does D'Argo look different? He looks a bit different to me, like they screwed with his look. It's not bad, but its not an improvement, either. Of course, I may just be insane So, Scorpius has something that gets inserted in his head like he's a cyborg or robot. I'm kind of interested, although I'm still not sold on Scorpius being a recurring villain (although he has gotten more interesting than he was originally). I do want to know why he's obsessed with John. Maybe it was because John could resist the chair a bit, but that doesn't seem right. Talon is proving to be nothing but trouble. He attacks Moya, bonds with Crais, honestly I can only think of 2 reasons for trying to get talon back 1) Moya wants to, and 2) to keep him away from the Peacekeepers. If it wasn't for that, I'd say let him go. It may sound harsh, but he only brings trouble, usually in the form of life treatening situations. Also, Zhaan was going weird for awhile, but I'm glad she didn't stay that way too long. John was acting weird, too (I was not a fan of the weird voice he seemed to be doing at times, it reminded me of Christian bale's lame batman voice ). Overall, a good episode, and an interesting start to the season.
Leviathans are a very gentle, loving race, who get enslaved by the Peacekeepers. I can't imagine the Hell Moya must be going through, to find her new born has been genetically manipulated, and is now in the hands of someone like Crais. Of course she can't think of anything but protecting her baby boy, no matter how he may be acting, because it's not his fault, he's jsut a baby

You'll get more on Scorpius, Zhaan and Crichton as the episodes go by

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote