RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,854
Posts: 5,221,199
Members: 24,232
Currently online: 577
Newest member: glasssplashback

TrekToday headlines

Takei To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Yelchin In New Comedy
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

U.S. Rights For Pegg Comedy Secured
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 12 2012, 02:00 AM   #1531
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

I was very disappointed with the remake of Coma on A&E.
__________________
John
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 06:58 PM   #1532
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

JD wrote: View Post
Actually they've started doing some pretty good (IMO) scripted shows the last two or three years. I've really enjoyed Breakout Kings, The Glades, and Longmire.
I tried Breakout Kings and a little of Longmire, neither impressed me. Glades looked too derivative to bother with. It's a step in the right direction, though. Anything's better than more reality crap.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 07:03 PM   #1533
Kegg
Rear Admiral
 
Kegg's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland.
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
Actually they've started doing some pretty good (IMO) scripted shows the last two or three years. I've really enjoyed Breakout Kings, The Glades, and Longmire.
I tried Breakout Kings and a little of Longmire, neither impressed me.
Shame. I'd heard mixed things about Longmire but was thinking of watching it if/when it ever showed up here. Poor man's Justified, people called it, only this one has Katee Sackhoff.

I'll probably catch the pilot regardless. Can't be worse than Awake, can it?
__________________
'Spock is always right, even when he's wrong. It's the tone of voice, the supernatural reasonability; this is not a man like us; this is a god.'
- Philip K. Dick
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 08:22 PM   #1534
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

I barely hung in there with Awake...it had its moments but I'm not sad it got cancelled and even though they didn't intend it that way, the season finale works fine as a series finale.

Short interview with Whedon on S.H.I.E.L.D series. Basically, it's going to focus on new characters, who aren't superheroes but have to live in a superhero reality, nothing too surprising there.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 09:00 PM   #1535
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Awake had a fantastic pilot, but I wasn't sure the concept was sustainable as a series, and I don't think the network was either, because they kept retooling it and the series we got was inconsistent and unfocused. I wish it had been a movie instead.

As for SHIELD, I wonder, does that mean completely new characters, or will there be some comics characters who are new to the MCU, like maybe Bobbi Morse or Clay Quartermain?
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 11:21 PM   #1536
sojourner
Vice Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Kegg wrote: View Post
Shame. I'd heard mixed things about Longmire but was thinking of watching it if/when it ever showed up here. Poor man's Justified, people called it, only this one has Katee Sackhoff.

I'll probably catch the pilot regardless. Can't be worse than Awake, can it?
Longmire is great. Give it a chance. Not "a poor man's Justified". Totally different tone.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 03:23 AM   #1537
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

CW High School monster drama.

The high-concept Copeland Prep is set at the premier secondary school in the nation, which is so fiercely competitive it’s turning its students into monsters — literally — and spreading the disturbing ramifications throughout the town.
Odd premise description...is the stress causing the kids to become monsters, or does becoming a monster give you a competitive edge in life? If this weren't the CW, I'd suspect they were going for social satire...
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 03:32 AM   #1538
Sindatur
Rear Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
CW High School monster drama.

The high-concept Copeland Prep is set at the premier secondary school in the nation, which is so fiercely competitive it’s turning its students into monsters — literally — and spreading the disturbing ramifications throughout the town.
Odd premise description...is the stress causing the kids to become monsters, or does becoming a monster give you a competitive edge in life? If this weren't the CW, I'd suspect they were going for social satire...
Could be some kind of "Steroid" or "Compound" to open up the mind, give more sports or Musical prowess... Several Horror flicks have been built around a similar premise. Even a Doctor Who episode (With Anthony Stewart Head as Head Master) explored giving something to the kids to make them smarter.
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 03:39 AM   #1539
lennier1
Commodore
 
lennier1's Avatar
 
Location: Germany
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
I barely hung in there with Awake...it had its moments but I'm not sad it got cancelled and even though they didn't intend it that way, the season finale works fine as a series finale.

Short interview with Whedon on S.H.I.E.L.D series. Basically, it's going to focus on new characters, who aren't superheroes but have to live in a superhero reality, nothing too surprising there.
With a new superhero movie popping up every other week the idea of this world viewed through the eyes of normal people actually sounds kinda refreshing for a change.
__________________
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 03:42 AM   #1540
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
Actually they've started doing some pretty good (IMO) scripted shows the last two or three years. I've really enjoyed Breakout Kings, The Glades, and Longmire.
I tried Breakout Kings and a little of Longmire, neither impressed me. Glades looked too derivative to bother with. It's a step in the right direction, though. Anything's better than more reality crap.
Glades is a lot of fun. It is pretty much you're standard cop show premise, but it's got great characters and writing.
Same goes for BK. I'm more than happy to watch a show these kinds of shows as long and I like the characters and the writing, and with both shows those elements are outstanding.
sojourner wrote: View Post
Kegg wrote: View Post
Shame. I'd heard mixed things about Longmire but was thinking of watching it if/when it ever showed up here. Poor man's Justified, people called it, only this one has Katee Sackhoff.

I'll probably catch the pilot regardless. Can't be worse than Awake, can it?
Longmire is great. Give it a chance. Not "a poor man's Justified". Totally different tone.
Agreed.
__________________
Over the course of many encounters and many years, I have successfully developed a standard operating procedure for dealing with big, nasty monsters. Run away. Me and Monty Python.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 04:37 AM   #1541
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral
 
Enterprise is Great's Avatar
 
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

deadline.com

NBC has bought a drama from Switched At Birth executive producer Becky Hartman Edwards, Sony TV and Will Gluck’s studio-based TV production company Olive Bridge Entertainment. The untitled project is described as a character-driven soap set in a small isolated Colorado town where the residents slowly discover that their lives are being manipulated by forces beyond their control. Edwards is writing and is executive producing with Gluck, while Richard Schwartz is co-exec producing.
__________________
JJverse Star Trek...ROCKED on May 17, 2013 and beyond!
Enterprise is Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 04:40 AM   #1542
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

That is to vague for me to have any kind of a reaction to it.
__________________
Over the course of many encounters and many years, I have successfully developed a standard operating procedure for dealing with big, nasty monsters. Run away. Me and Monty Python.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 09:22 AM   #1543
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion
 
RJDiogenes's Avatar
 
Location: RJDiogenes of Boston
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Eventually they come in contact with the outside world and realize that everybody else has known this all along.
__________________
Please stop by my Gallery and YouTube Page for a visit. And read Trunkards!
RJDiogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 07:00 PM   #1544
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
deadline.com

NBC has bought a drama from Switched At Birth executive producer Becky Hartman Edwards, Sony TV and Will Gluck’s studio-based TV production company Olive Bridge Entertainment. The untitled project is described as a character-driven soap set in a small isolated Colorado town where the residents slowly discover that their lives are being manipulated by forces beyond their control. Edwards is writing and is executive producing with Gluck, while Richard Schwartz is co-exec producing.
I thought about posting that news, but couldn't really tell if it's genre from that description. My bet is, it will turn out to be...
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 11:43 PM   #1545
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
where the residents slowly discover that their lives are being manipulated by forces beyond their control.
That's pretty much ALL soaps, innit?
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.