Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 12 2012, 07:58 PM   #31
ralph
Captain

Re: The First Poster for INTO DARKNESS Has Just Been Revealed...

Simon Pegg has become the first cast member to comment on the new movie title by tweeting (@simonpegg) that "Star Trek" is a verb, not a noun. He boldly confirms that the title is "Star Trek Into Darkness".

source: TrekWeb
Old September 12 2012, 07:59 PM   #32
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The Halloween System in the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View Ghouleddie74's Twitter Profile

Thanks for that, ralph.

Guess that settles the colon controversy once and for all. Show's over, laddies...nothin' more to see here.
Old September 12 2012, 08:07 PM   #33
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

^ It sure is, Eddie. It's pretty cool.

- The lens flarey avatar, I mean. I'll work to add more flares to mine in the future. Promise.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 08:07 PM   #34
Christopher
Writer

ralph wrote: View Post
Simon Pegg has become the first cast member to comment on the new movie title by tweeting (@simonpegg) that "Star Trek" is a verb, not a noun. He boldly confirms that the title is "Star Trek Into Darkness".
Except it's still a noun, unless that's interpreted as an imperative: "Star, trek into darkness!" It's just a noun that has a prepositional phrase added to it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 08:09 PM   #35
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post

- The lens flarey avatar, I mean. I'll work to add more flares to mine in the future. Promise.
Thanks! I had help from our very own J. Allen. Without his skills there'd be no "nuCarl Spock."
Old September 12 2012, 08:10 PM   #36
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post

Thanks! I had help from our very own J. Allen. Without his skills there'd be no "nuCarl Spock."
Carl Spock? Where is he?

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Old September 12 2012, 08:11 PM   #37
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Lonnnnng story.

You weren't around when the legend of Carl Spock was the rage. Dang. I don't know where to begin, really. It's complicated...and very weird.

<------ This is Carl, by the way. The original.
Old September 12 2012, 08:13 PM   #38
RoJoHen
Awesome

Christopher wrote: View Post
ralph wrote: View Post
Except it's still a noun, unless that's interpreted as an imperative: "Star, trek into darkness!" It's just a noun that has a prepositional phrase added to it.
I star trek into darkness.
He/she/it star treks into darkness.
We star trek into darkness.
They star trek into darkness.

Now it's a verb.
Old September 12 2012, 08:13 PM   #39
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

@ cooleddie I'm just a lowly Lieutenant Commander, Sir Admiral. So I'll accept that the information is classified.

Old September 12 2012, 08:18 PM   #40
Christopher
Writer

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I star trek into darkness.
He/she/it star treks into darkness.
We star trek into darkness.
They star trek into darkness.

Now it's a verb.
In those sentences, yes. But "Star trek into darkness" has no subject, so it's not a sentence with a verb -- again, unless it's an imperative and the implied subject is the listener. And "Star" could not be the subject with that form of the word "trek" and with no comma. If it were "Star treks into darkness" or "Star trekking into darkness" or "Star trekked into darkness," then it would be a verb with "Star" as the subject, but not in the form "Star trek into darkness."

By analogy, think of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea or Journey to the Center of the Earth. "Voyage" and "Journey" aren't verbs in those titles, but nouns. They aren't imperatives telling the audience to voyage or journey to those places; they're simply a description of the events being depicted in the stories. This is a movie about a voyage to the bottom of the sea, this is a book about a journey to the center of the earth. And equivalently, the show Gene Roddenberry created is a television series about a star trek -- i.e. a long, arduous journey in space -- while this movie is depicting a star trek into darkness -- i.e. a long, arduous space journey that goes somewhere dark. (Like, maybe, space?)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 08:19 PM   #41
RoJoHen
Awesome

And "Doctor Who" doesn't have a question mark at the end. I don't know what to tell you.

Maybe it's a response.

Spock: "What are you going to do?"
Kirk: "Star trek into darkness!"
Spock: "I find that highly illogical."
Old September 12 2012, 08:19 PM   #42
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Nah, it's no secret. Carl Spock began in the TOS Caption Contests a number of years back when one of us decided to Photoshop a big '70s afro and goofy period glasses onto Leonard Nimoy, creating a new (and very groovy) character that was quickly named "Carl Spock." The meme took off from there and Carl has made countless appearances in the BBS both in caption contests as well as in other threads all over the board.

He's not nearly as popular or widely posted as he used to be, but I like to keep his spirit alive by using him in a few of my avatars.
Old September 12 2012, 08:22 PM   #43
NrobbieC
Commander

They're astronauts on some kind of star trek into darkness
NrobbieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 08:27 PM   #44
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
Nah, it's no secret. Carl Spock began in the TOS Caption Contests a number of years back when one of us decided to Photoshop a big '70s afro and goofy period glasses onto Leonard Nimoy, creating a new (and very groovy) character that was quickly named "Carl Spock." The meme took off from there and Carl has made countless appearances in the BBS both in caption contests as well as in other threads all over the board.

He's not nearly as popular or widely posted as he used to be, but I like to keep his spirit alive by using him in a few of my avatars.
So you mean your avatar's name isn't Cool Eddie Spock? Well, I'm glad you're keeping "Carl" alive in your avatars. It wouldn't be the same not seeing him there. So, I'm going to choose to believe that "Carl" went into the Starfleet Witness Protection Program, and now his new name is Cool Eddie, born in 2174.

But, don't worry. No one will hear that from me...

Old September 12 2012, 08:27 PM   #45
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

And there it is.
@TrekMovie wrote:

There is a FAN MADE poster for STAR
TREK INTO DARKNESS going around. It is
NOT REAL. It was made by reader of my site
for fun. Move Along
https://twitter.com/TrekMovie/status/245955371666116609
The motto of the Corbettite Order seems to be Ite Animose... a Latin phrase that can be translated as "go courageously." Alternatively, it can be rendered as "boldly go," which bears a striking resemblance to a phrase heard during the opening credits of a certain popular television series.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote