TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Should Chris Be More Like The Shat or Nat?
Come on, Chris, try to be more like The SHAT. 4 10.26%
I’m not sure. Maybe try a blending of both styles? 2 5.13%
I’m thinking NAT. Keep doing what you’re doing. 33 84.62%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 12 2012, 12:19 PM   #1
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Chris Pine: To Shat or Nat? That is the question.

Okay, so my poll-craziness is coming to an end after this one, I promise!

But I was thinking about how some people I’ve come across in the past wanted Chris Pine to be more like William Shatner in TOS. I’m not sure if that’s a good idea because, to me, William Shatner is to acting what Cher is to singing. They both have great followings, but their “distinctiveness” is hard to imitate without it seeming like a mockery.

That is why I was glad to see that Chris didn’t try to emulate Shatner’s style. He seemed to stay true to the character while giving him mannerisms that came across as genuine for Chris’ portrayal of the character. So, what do you think? Should he have tried harder to be more like the Shat, or was his performance just right. Obviously, once again, the writing had something to do with how the character was received, but I’m speaking strictly about Chris’ performance.

Please discuss.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 05:08 PM   #2
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Chris Pine: To Shat or Nat? That is the question.

I'd say no, for exactly the reason that you specify: only William Shatner can be William Shatner. Pine did a great job of channeling the essence of Kirk, a brash leader of men, without emulating Shatner, and it worked beautifully.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 05:16 PM   #3
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

yeah, i'm happy with Pine to carry on as he was... he doesn't need to imitate Shatner to do a convincing Kirk, he already did that... any further would just turn his acting into a mockery of Shatner...

M
Old September 12 2012, 05:18 PM   #4
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

It's Alive!!!

Thank you both. I was beginning to think maybe it was a bad question because the thread is so dead, but at least someone was willing to respond and put some life into it.

I think William Shatner did a wonderful job as the James Kirk that grew up with his father as a guiding force, but Chris does a wonderful job as the somewhat renegade version that didn't have that luxury and misses it.

I do wonder if as he goes through these movies if it won't end up being a blending of styles, though.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Old September 12 2012, 05:21 PM   #5
R. Star
Rear Admiral

People are going to be comparing him to Shatner no matter what. If NuKirk is going to get out of Prime Kirk's shadow it's going to be because the writers come up with some good material AND Pine sells it.

As things stand NuKirk is just Prime Kirk's alternate, less capable self in my opinion. Maybe the new movie will change my mind on that.
Old September 12 2012, 05:26 PM   #6
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
It's Alive!!!
*Has a truly, truly, bewildering mental image of NuKirk in a cheerleaders outfit cheering S/U Fan on*

Riiiiight... excuse me...

*runs to find the mind bleach*

M
Old September 12 2012, 05:34 PM   #7
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Considering where the first movie started at in Kirk's life, and the different upbringing, it would've been really wrong for NuKirk to be just like Shatner Prime Kirk in TOS. Shatner Kirk in TOS was already an established Captain of the Enterprise in the First episode, or course, he's going to be a much more confident and competent Leader than NuKirk, fresh out of the Academy, no experience as Captain. Those who say he should've been more ShatnerKirk-like make no sense to me.

Since this movie has him already established as Captain of the Enterprise, I think there's definitely room to him to be more ShatnerKirk-like, at least by the end of the movie, if not early on, but, I don't think he ever needs...to...imitate...Kirk's....Staggered....Spee ch....Pattern

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?

Last edited by Sindatur; September 12 2012 at 06:32 PM.
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 05:50 PM   #8
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

I got the part where you said:

...because, to me, William Shatner is to acting what Cher is to singing.
And found myself voting NO then and there regardless of the validity of the statement.

Seriously, if we could have Shatner shoehorned into the new Trek movie, I'd rather see Shatner himself play the role of Prime Kirk. And, I think the sanest among would agree that it would be a disaster.
Old September 12 2012, 05:54 PM   #9
Gojira
Commodore

I think Chris Pine made an excellent Kirk. He can interpret the characteristics of Kirk without copying Shatner's mannerisms and acting style.
Old September 12 2012, 06:02 PM   #10
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

The worst thing Pine could ever do is try to imitate Shatner. It would come off as a parody and more worthy of a Saturday Night Live skit than a Star Trek movie.
Old September 12 2012, 06:35 PM   #11
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

The one point in the movie where I thought he was channeling the spirit of Shatner, he managed to do it without it being cheesy. It's the point at the end of the movie where he steps onto the bridge, takes a look around, and exclaims "Bones!"

I got goosebumps at that moment.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 06:48 PM   #12
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I love William Shatner's Kirk. I also love Pine's Kirk. Pine really made it his own, as written and directed it would have been very easy for Kirk to just be unlikeable - he is fairly dickish at times - but his impish grin, charisma and chemistry with Quinto really work.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and Pine's Kirk ain't broke. Sure, I'd like see - and expect to see - him mature over the films, but that's not the same as having him transition into Shatnerian mode.
Old September 12 2012, 06:49 PM   #13
Jinglekitty
Captain

I think NuKirk will always be different from TOS Kirk. Yes, they essentially are the same man, but NuKirk had a different upbringing. Losing his father and growing up without his influence will mold a different adult. Some things will be the same, some friendships will stay eternal and some things will be very different. It's that difference that peaks my interests.
Old September 12 2012, 07:28 PM   #14
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

^ The difference in this case is what peaks my interest too.

Methos wrote: View Post
It's Alive!!!
*Has a truly, truly, bewildering mental image of NuKirk in a cheerleaders outfit cheering S/U Fan on*
Did it look a little something like this?

*runs to find the mind bleach*

M
Oh, so sorry then.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
[...] I don't think he ever needs...to...imitate...Kirk's....Staggered....Spee ch....Pattern

Satyrquaze wrote: View Post

...because, to me, William Shatner is to acting what Cher is to singing.
And found myself voting NO then and there regardless of the validity of the statement.

Seriously, if we could have Shatner shoehorned into the new Trek movie, I'd rather see Shatner himself play the role of Prime Kirk. And, I think the sanest among would agree that it would be a disaster.
So, does that mean that I made the question too easy? Is it a "slam dunk," in a manner of speaking? I notice that the results are 100% "NO" as of right now.

And I wasn't trying to be insulting when I made that comparison. I just meant to get across that they are distinct in what they do.

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
The worst thing Pine could ever do is try to imitate Shatner. It would come off as a parody and more worthy of a Saturday Night Live skit than a Star Trek movie.
http://www.myspace.com/video/saturda...prise/33829799

And one of the best parts is when they mistake NBC for Nabisco.

Old September 12 2012, 07:35 PM   #15
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

Satyrquaze wrote: View Post

So, does that mean that I made the question too easy? Is it a "slam dunk," in a manner of speaking? I notice that the results are 100% "NO" as of right now.
Yeah, you may have made it too easy. My answer was always NO, but you adding that little tid-bit made it a "HELL NO".