RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,713
Posts: 5,432,090
Members: 24,835
Currently online: 565
Newest member: SB118_T'Mar


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 7 2012, 05:40 PM   #106
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain
 
Green Lantern's Avatar
 
Location: The bad of whoever pays for the night.
Re: If annother Trek series was being made, what would you want in it?

A CSI or MASH Trek would just be stupid. Don't even need to give a reason, it's so odvious.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 07:37 PM   #107
peteym5
Lieutenant
 
Re: If annother Trek series was being made, what would you want in it?

I favor ideals that are real time past TNG/DS9/Voyager. 12 years since Voyager aired its final episode, 10 years past the movie Nemesis. It would be far enough from the other shows to have its own independent story arc. Going way too far ahead means you have to make the Technology starts getting super advanced to satisfy fan expectations. Have to say your ships can do Warp 200 or Phasers can destroy whole planets and Transporters can beam 200 lightyears away. Can cross the Milkyway within a commercial break. I would like to only keep it slightly more advance than the 24th century shows. I know about the Warp 10 limit, but who is to say some now Warp Scale gets invented (Like "All Good Things" had the Enterprise doing warp 13). Gene Roddenberry kept limits on how fast starships can go so the Galaxy seems to be a big place. Sill have to keep it to where it takes years to reach the Gamma and Delta Quadrants and parts of the galaxy remain unexplored. Then again, you can also make your ships just fast enough to reach nearby Drawf Galaxies in the Local Group.

Being real time Passage past TNG/DS9/Voyager leaves the door open of bring back someone from a prior series without an excuse of time travel or was frozen somehow. Many fans do want to see some connection and is a good way to draw interest to the show. A new series has to draw in new fans from this time to be successful, have to make it relevant to 2012. We know what happened in prior shows, new show has to tell us what is happening now with Humans, Vulcans, Klingons, Romulans, Cardassia, Borg, and invent new races as well. You have keep that consistent threat there.

We are well aware that the JJ Abrams movie refined the timelime, but that is an alternate reality. Who is to say history did not reset before the TNG era.

I thought about an ideal to where a new threat is not coming from another race, but within the Federation itself. Planets declare Independence from, cause a civil war, Earth and Humans no longer the center of it. The Vulcans or Betazoids take it over. Do the enemy comes from within type arc.
peteym5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 07:51 PM   #108
Matt S
Lieutenant
 
Matt S's Avatar
 
Re: If annother Trek series was being made, what would you want in it?

I would want them to keep the show as grounded as they can with the way people act now. The last movie did a great job of showing people as the flawed, human, and highly interesting.

That was the greatest sin of TNG, Voyager, and to a lesser degree DS9 - the people were so darn 'perfect' that they really were boring. Enterprise tried to show people as a little more edgy, and flawed
__________________
Balok knows all!!!!!
Matt S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 11:43 AM   #109
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain
 
Green Lantern's Avatar
 
Location: The bad of whoever pays for the night.
Re: If annother Trek series was being made, what would you want in it?

Yeah. I would not want phasers to destroy planets though. That'd go too far. Like someone said earlyer on on the thread, why not do a time travel series. "time, the final frontier".
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 11:45 AM   #110
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: If annother Trek series was being made, what would you want in it?

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
Yeah. I would not want phasers to destroy planets though. That'd go too far. Like someone said earlyer on on the thread, why not do a time travel series. "time, the final frontier".
It's called Doctor Who.

I don't understand this desire to try to lock Trek into a particular premise. It's strength has always been that the format is flexible enough to tell any kind of story a writer wants to tell.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 01:14 PM   #111
Mars
Captain
 
Re: If annother Trek series was being made, what would you want in it?

BillJ wrote: View Post
Green Lantern wrote: View Post
Yeah. I would not want phasers to destroy planets though. That'd go too far. Like someone said earlyer on on the thread, why not do a time travel series. "time, the final frontier".
It's called Doctor Who.

I don't understand this desire to try to lock Trek into a particular premise. It's strength has always been that the format is flexible enough to tell any kind of story a writer wants to tell.
I prefer to send them back in time, one time only, rather than give them control of the time machine, as one can solve all sorts of problems by going back in time. I think a Galaxy class starship in the 21st century with a 21st century crew is a good premise to start with. The best time travel stories are stories where characters are basically marooned back in time rather than in control of a time machine.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 08:01 PM   #112
RandyS
Vice Admiral
 
RandyS's Avatar
 
Location: Randyland
View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: If annother Trek series was being made, what would you want in it?

Matt S wrote: View Post
I would want them to keep the show as grounded as they can with the way people act now. The last movie did a great job of showing people as the flawed, human, and highly interesting.

That was the greatest sin of TNG, Voyager, and to a lesser degree DS9 - the people were so darn 'perfect' that they really were boring. Enterprise tried to show people as a little more edgy, and flawed
Nah, the whole "flawed anti-hero" nonsense is played out. Run into the ground until TV has become unwatchable in fact.

What we need is to get back to telling stories about heroes. Maybe not the "perfect people" that everybody bitches about (although, since TNG was the ONLY show that had this, I don't understand why everybody bitches about it. TNG must had had an enormus impact on everybody. And , it IS a perfectly valid storytelling tool), but heroes as seen in TOS and the original Battlestar Galactica.

That would be good.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 01:03 PM   #113
Knight Templar
Commodore
 
Location: Oklahoma
Re: If annother Trek series was being made, what would you want in it?

^Fully agreed on that one.
Knight Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 04:33 PM   #114
peteym5
Lieutenant
 
Re: If annother Trek series was being made, what would you want in it?

I agree with making the characters less than perfect like we see in DS9. TNG had characters being "Too perfect". I will not go totally go to the reimagined Battlestar Galactica because that is a whole different type of tv show that was not Star Trek. If the writers made Tuvok and Chakotay more of a dark and not always agreeing wtih Starfleet regulations would have made Voyager a stronger show.

What is now amusing not long after my post on 9/8, "Star Trek: Renegades" has been announced and fitting into what many of us had been suggesting for years. Not sure what exactly is meant by it being professionally produced. If CBS/Paramount is sanctioning it or is involved somehow.
peteym5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 04:52 PM   #115
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: If annother Trek series was being made, what would you want in it?

peteym5 wrote: View Post
I agree with making the characters less than perfect like we see in DS9. TNG had characters being "Too perfect". I will not go totally go to the reimagined Battlestar Galactica because that is a whole different type of tv show that was not Star Trek. If the writers made Tuvok and Chakotay more of a dark and not always agreeing wtih Starfleet regulations would have made Voyager a stronger show.

What is now amusing not long after my post on 9/8, "Star Trek: Renegades" has been announced and fitting into what many of us had been suggesting for years. Not sure what exactly is meant by it being professionally produced. If CBS/Paramount is sanctioning it or is involved somehow.
What do You mean "Star Trek: Renegades" has been announced? What is that? Is that a game?
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 05:01 PM   #116
deep_edward
Ensign
 
Re: If annother Trek series was being made, what would you want in it?

My preference would be a continuation of the TNG/DS9 timeline. I really wouldn't be interested in anything that was a radical departure from that. I also wouldn't be interested in a complete jettisoning of established Star Trek alien species.

I'm fascinated with Andorians, so I'd like an Andorian member of the bridge crew. And maybe a Vulcan.

I'd like to see a captain that was some combination of Picard and Pike, personality-wise. I kind of liked Pike's brooding depressiveness.

There desperately needs to be a gay main character, but I loathe the idea of making him what I call a "tragic gay," i.e., someone who's just lost a spouse. Especially since there's never actually been a gay character on a Star Trek series, that would be a bad way to start, IMO.
deep_edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 06:07 PM   #117
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral
 
Enterprise is Great's Avatar
 
Re: If annother Trek series was being made, what would you want in it?

Sindatur wrote: View Post
peteym5 wrote: View Post
I agree with making the characters less than perfect like we see in DS9. TNG had characters being "Too perfect". I will not go totally go to the reimagined Battlestar Galactica because that is a whole different type of tv show that was not Star Trek. If the writers made Tuvok and Chakotay more of a dark and not always agreeing wtih Starfleet regulations would have made Voyager a stronger show.

What is now amusing not long after my post on 9/8, "Star Trek: Renegades" has been announced and fitting into what many of us had been suggesting for years. Not sure what exactly is meant by it being professionally produced. If CBS/Paramount is sanctioning it or is involved somehow.
What do You mean "Star Trek: Renegades" has been announced? What is that? Is that a game?
A fanmade web series: http://startrekrenegades.com/
__________________
JJverse Star Trek...ROCKED on May 17, 2013 and beyond!
Enterprise is Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 07:02 PM   #118
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: If annother Trek series was being made, what would you want in it?

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
peteym5 wrote: View Post
I agree with making the characters less than perfect like we see in DS9. TNG had characters being "Too perfect". I will not go totally go to the reimagined Battlestar Galactica because that is a whole different type of tv show that was not Star Trek. If the writers made Tuvok and Chakotay more of a dark and not always agreeing wtih Starfleet regulations would have made Voyager a stronger show.

What is now amusing not long after my post on 9/8, "Star Trek: Renegades" has been announced and fitting into what many of us had been suggesting for years. Not sure what exactly is meant by it being professionally produced. If CBS/Paramount is sanctioning it or is involved somehow.
What do You mean "Star Trek: Renegades" has been announced? What is that? Is that a game?
A fanmade web series: http://startrekrenegades.com/
Ah, that's why I'm ignorant, I don't generally venture into the Fan Made Forum. Thanks
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 07:45 PM   #119
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: If annother Trek series was being made, what would you want in it?

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
A CSI or MASH Trek would just be stupid. Don't even need to give a reason, it's so odvious.
Since when has stupidity ever stopped the TV biz?

Nah, the whole "flawed anti-hero" nonsense is played out. Run into the ground until TV has become unwatchable in fact.
It's going strong on cable, which is where a Star Trek series would end up, if not on Netflix or Amazon.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 05:02 AM   #120
JimZipCode
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: If annother Trek series was being made, what would you want in it?

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
I think it would be interesting to visit a time of change--an alliance with the Klingons, Kirk 'dead', and a whole new era of exploration opening up.
Yeah yeah yeah. Back in the 80s this was my dream scenario for a new Star Trek series. Something set "now" relative to the orginal series, ie 20 years later (now 40 or 50 years later), and dealing with the time when the Klingons went from being enemies to allies. Uneven allies, where you wouldn't know what to expect from any Klingon encounter: some Klingons would be for alliance (good guys) and some would be against (bad guys).

Then TNG came along and ruined everything.

That's still what I most want to see from a new Star Trek series.
JimZipCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.