TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old September 11 2012, 11:44 AM   #136
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: My Trek Through Enterprise: Season One

Wow you're a tough marker, I loved Shockwave.

As to the time stuff, I just bleep through it as Janeway does.

"Time travel. Since my first day on the job as a Starfleet captain I swore I'd never let myself get caught in one of these godforsaken paradoxes - the future is the past, the past is the future, it all gives me a headache. "
Janeway, Future's End

Also.. let's PUNCH IT.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 03:05 PM   #137
Chanukahjes
Commodore

View Chanukahjes's Twitter Profile

I think some of the destroyed city aspect was in homage to 9/11 (and sorry for saying that on the anniversary of, but that's how it struck me at the time, and still does). Attractive to feel that such things can be prevented with some time travel manipulation, not so attractive when our own ugly history isn't prevented/changed/perfected/smoothed over.
Chanukahjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 03:52 PM   #138
BruntFCA
Commander

The Temporal Cold War stuff was forced upon the show by UPN and really doesn't make any sense. The thing that really bugged me was the ridiculous gymnastics they had to go through to make it somewhat plausible that Archer would ever actually need to be involved, it never was.

I think your making the right decision in pushing through season 2 but be warned that most people consider it even worse then season 1 but however bad it gets just know that seasons 3 and 4 are much much better.
Old September 11 2012, 04:14 PM   #139
R. Star
Rear Admiral

The Temporal Cold War is really the most ridiculous of plot concepts ever. Hey time travel is now SO cliche, we're going to make it a major plot element!

The whole episode is just silly. Archer's so upset over the death of some 3000 miners but was perfectly fine with the resolution in Dear Doctor? Daniels leaving his Time Travel for Dummies kit just laying around which conviently has specifications for just about everything is absurd. You think they'd build these advanced time travel kits in with self-destructs or something for the very reason of preventing people from doing just what Archer did. But time travel makes no sense, so why should their tools? Or if Daniels just trusts Archer, then refer to my prevous comment on Daniels being the worst time travel agent ever. Archer brought in another person, who had to be restrained from looking elsewhere in the data base.

Plus this nifty cloak detecting technology isn't going to uninvent itself once Archer's done with it. Oh wow, the Suliban, who are already known to be dabbling in temporal crap themselves even by Archer's merry band, try and kidnap Archer in response to his raid, didn't see that coming... I'm SOOOOO shocked. Well apparently mister timescrewup Daniels was by that sudden devolopment(guess he should've lent Archer the cloaking specs too), and yanks him out of time... yep just like that... well nice to see there are some consequences to this however silly.

Next time on Enterprise: The reset button is pushed.
Old September 11 2012, 04:49 PM   #140
lurok
Commodore

Not a fan of Shockwave either for most of reasons above. I usually just skip and go to..is it Carbon Creek after 2nd parter?
Old September 11 2012, 04:56 PM   #141
Gaith
Rear Admiral

There's definitely no need to watch all of S2 unless you really want to. Just be sure to check out "Dead Stop" (easily one of the show's top five) , "A Night in Sickbay", "Singularity" (optional), "The Catwalk", "Stigma", "Cogenitor" and "Regeneration". Though if you do watch S3, might as well add "The Expanse".

... I remember watching "Shockwave, pt. 2" and the Smallville second-season premiere rather close to each other. The quality gap was pretty embarassing for ol' Team Trek.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 06:17 PM   #142
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Did you really just put a Night in Sickbay on the best of season 2 list?

As critical as I am of many of the episodes, you really do get the most of the experience by watching them all. And season 3 has it's flaws too, so don't look to that as a game saver. If you made it through season 1, season 2... has a few more better episodes. Some of which Gaith listed. Really though, it may require sifting through a few more crappy epsidoes, but you don't miss out on the nuggets that are there. Even the bad episodes have their good moments.
Old September 11 2012, 06:59 PM   #143
Chanukahjes
Commodore

View Chanukahjes's Twitter Profile

R. Star wrote: View Post
...Even the bad episodes have their good moments.
And a lot of those are in the area of character development.
Chanukahjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 01:53 AM   #144
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Ayup.

I appreciate honesty in art. TNG could pull off a "Chain of Command" because Stewart had that much gravitas, and the whole show was fairly high-minded enough.

ENT, OTOH, is a light and fluffy jaunt of a series. When it tries for grim profundity, it nearly always falls flat for me. It's much better at breezy amiability, of which ANIS is one of the best examples.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 02:21 AM   #145
teacake
Fleet Admiral

As critical as I am of many of the episodes, you really do get the most of the experience by watching them all. And season 3 has it's flaws too, so don't look to that as a game saver. If you made it through season 1, season 2... has a few more better episodes. Some of which Gaith listed. Really though, it may require sifting through a few more crappy epsidoes, but you don't miss out on the nuggets that are there. Even the bad episodes have their good moments.
But isn't it that way with all the series? IMO ENT has a completely unjustified reputation of being the dud Trek.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 12 2012, 12:36 PM   #146
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

@everyone Thanks for all of your insights on the episodes. I've decided I'll watch the whole series and just keep going along in this comfortable little thread. You all make it such a nice place. I may have to ask for one of the mods to edit "season one" out, though.

Aaand onward to SEASON TWO!

Shockwave part II

This episode had the potential to be a B; it just wasn’t.

Grade: C minus

Carbon Creek

I thought I wasn’t going to like this episode because I usually don’t like the Earth based episodes where they’re going back in time, but this was alright. It turned out to be a nice story. I know they hid their ears, but I wonder why no one ever asked them about those wicked eyebrows and such.

Grade: B

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 12:44 PM   #147
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Not to mention their sickly pallor!

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 12 2012, 12:51 PM   #148
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

I think that'd be the easiest thing to kind of shrug off. I've seen some people that had an interesting tint to their skin, especially if they're smokers. Or, perhaps they were aliens...

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Old September 12 2012, 12:55 PM   #149
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

i actually really liked Carbon Creek... fleshed out a vulcans a bit more... and i loved how it turned out to be true in the end, with Trip and Archer believing T'pol was just 'spinning them a yarn' lol

M
Old September 12 2012, 01:05 PM   #150
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

^ That's what I liked about it too.