RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,367
Posts: 5,356,199
Members: 24,625
Currently online: 680
Newest member: 3d gird

TrekToday headlines

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the Spock/Uhura pairing?
I LOVE them together! 29 46.77%
I generally think they’re okay together. 12 19.35%
Not my preference, but I don’t mind them together. 13 20.97%
I HATE them together. 8 12.90%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 10 2012, 12:03 PM   #76
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Hey, you sure that wouldn't be hot?


That is INCREDIBLE. It's just.. wow. Does he have his hand on her back?

(is there a K/S version? J/K, J/K!!)

Oh and as to you getting mocked for liking S/U, that's what's called shipper wars and you got caught in the crossfire. I think most people in the more fannish threads on this forum just plain enjoy the characters and enjoy everyone's different preferences.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 12:18 PM   #77
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain
 
Spock/Uhura Fan's Avatar
 
Location: Where It's At.
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

Naira wrote: View Post
I enjoyed the relationship but that was mainly because I enjoyed the new Spock character.
Me too. He is kind of yummy.



teacake wrote: View Post
Naira wrote: View Post
I enjoyed the relationship but that was mainly because I enjoyed the new Spock character.
You know that was it for me too.. Uhura is nice and all but I'm not invested in the character. NuSpock blew me away. He was immediately in my top five ever characters.
I have to mostly agree. I say mostly because I am invested in the new Uhura character, but I don't like her as much as I liked the old one. I think it's the actresses. I just think Nichelle was better than Zoe, but Zoe's nice.

Here are some pretty pics of them both:





I completely agree about the new Spock, though.
__________________
MA'AM. Hot damn, I can dig it.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 12:26 PM   #78
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain
 
Spock/Uhura Fan's Avatar
 
Location: Where It's At.
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

teacake wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Hey, you sure that wouldn't be hot?


That is INCREDIBLE. It's just.. wow. Does he have his hand on her back?

(is there a K/S version? J/K, J/K!!)

Oh and as to you getting mocked for liking S/U, that's what's called shipper wars and you got caught in the crossfire. I think most people in the more fannish threads on this forum just plain enjoy the characters and enjoy everyone's different preferences.
Yeah, I just came across it and I thought it was very pretty. I never thought of them as vampires before, but this drawing seemed to work. And yes, I do think he has his hand on her back.

I don't know about any K/S versions, even though you're kidding, but you never know what's out there.

You know what's funny, though? I don't know if it was a shipper war or not. The people that claimed that Spock couldn't, just couldn't, be with Uhura were very hard about it absolutely just having to be Kirk/Spock/McCoy as a friendship pairing that was dubbed "The Triumvirate." They went into all kinds of stuff about id, ego, and super-ego and how they needed each other and had to be together and never have any women in their lives or a family.

Kirk is supposed to be married to the ship, and Spock is supposed to be dedicated to him, and Bones is supposed to be the heart and the passion... I asked point-blank if it was sexual because they seemed to think Uhura was stealing Spock away from the other 2, and I couldn't understand the intensity of the hate. I got no response. You could hear crickets chirping, so I'm not sure what that means. I just think that it's possible to have friends and a girlfriend/fiancee. According to them, I was wrong. Maybe it was a shipper war... I don't know.
__________________
MA'AM. Hot damn, I can dig it.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 01:00 PM   #79
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

Wow. That sounds pretty weird. I mean sure Kirk, Spock, McCoy is a friendship of the ages but what does that have to do with people's need for romantic and sexual relationships? Now you can ship them that way with each other or give them women.. but either way these men will have needs that straight friendship cannot fulfill. It sounds like some people are elevating friendship to the level of the Victorian "romantic friendships" which seem a little odd to us today. All those intense feelings, and yet chaste.

Also.. fandom is supposed to be fun!

I like TOS Uhura better as well, probably because she is older. But I have high hopes for Zoe in the next movie TOS Uhura is sassy at times and you can see Zoe has that too.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 02:35 PM   #80
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
And by the way, you need to update your appearances on your website. 2011 has come and past. Lyla is beautiful. She looks really pretty and girly. I could tell she was a she before reading the name. And of course the cats look nice too. Forgive my poking around, but you have the link there in your signature, and I just clicked.
Hey, I put that link there so people will poke around!

And, yeah, I seriously need to update that website. It's missing the Dark Knight Rises book, the upcoming Leverage book, the next Star Trek book, etc. Plus, sad to say, two of those cats are no longer with us . . . although I can't bring myself to delete their photos yet.

And that's a really old photo of Lyla, too, although I'm probably never going to change it. That's such a great photo of her!

As soon as I get out from beneath some pressing deadlines, I'll take an evening off to update it, I promise!
Sorry to hear about the loss of your pets, I know that can be very hard. It's nice that you still have their pictures up. And I wouldn't take down that photo of Lyla either. It's beautiful. I look forward to your updates. Do you have any short stories, or something like that? I like to take baby-steps in getting used to an author.
Thanks. For an update, Lyla is six years old now and a bit jowlier. We just got back from our morning walk and I'm now playing fetch with Sophie while gearing up to get some serious writing done.

[This concludes the OT Pet report.]

Regarding short stories, I've had stories published in a number of Trek anthologies, including Seven Deadly Sins, The Sky's The Limit, Enterprise Logs, Mirror Universe: Glass Empire, and Star Trek: The Amazing Stories. Thanks for asking and feel free to check them out!

Meanwhile, I have a very Uhura-centric novel, The Weight of Worlds, coming out from Pocket Books next year . . . .
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com

Last edited by Greg Cox; September 10 2012 at 03:20 PM.
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 02:51 PM   #81
Shanndee
Commodore
 
Shanndee's Avatar
 
Location: Canada
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

"You know what's funny, though? I don't know if it was a shipper war or not. The people that claimed that Spock couldn't, just couldn't, be with Uhura were very hard about it absolutely just having to be Kirk/Spock/McCoy as a friendship pairing that was dubbed "The Triumvirate." They went into all kinds of stuff about id, ego, and super-ego and how they needed each other and had to be together and never have any women in their lives or a family." (By S/U Fan)

I've come across these types as well. I love "the Triumvirate" as much as the next person, and I do want to see more of McCoy in the next movie...but not at the exclusion of everything else.

I tried to point out that everyone has their own id, ego, and superego and we all work towards healthy work relationships, friendships, and romantic relationships (usually without any of the relationships suffering too much). If these 3 men were operating without this ability they weren't particularly well rounded individuals and probably shouldn't be working in a stressful environment like Starfleet. But none of them even acknowledged the point!

So, don't worry about them and continue to enjoy your own thing S/U Fan!
__________________
"Nolite te bastardes carborundorum" Margaret Atwood

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources

Last edited by Shanndee; September 10 2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: try to show quote
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 09:42 PM   #82
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain
 
Spock/Uhura Fan's Avatar
 
Location: Where It's At.
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

teacake wrote: View Post
Wow. That sounds pretty weird. I mean sure Kirk, Spock, McCoy is a friendship of the ages but what does that have to do with people's need for romantic and sexual relationships? Now you can ship them that way with each other or give them women.. but either way these men will have needs that straight friendship cannot fulfill. It sounds like some people are elevating friendship to the level of the Victorian "romantic friendships" which seem a little odd to us today. All those intense feelings, and yet chaste.

Also.. fandom is supposed to be fun!

I like TOS Uhura better as well, probably because she is older. But I have high hopes for Zoe in the next movie TOS Uhura is sassy at times and you can see Zoe has that too.
That's right! Fandom is supposed to be fun. I personally don't mind if someone else wants to see Chekov, Scotty, and Sulu riding a pony together, just as long as it's not the end of the world if someone else prefers that they ride a hippo. I just think it's nice if we're all accepting.

And I have faith in Zoe this time around too. She does have the sass that original Uhura displayed at times, but she doesn't quite have the grace. Zoe used to be a ballerina, and ballerinas are graceful, so I've got hope a-plenty.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post

Hey, I put that link there so people will poke around!

And, yeah, I seriously need to update that website. It's missing the Dark Knight Rises book, the upcoming Leverage book, the next Star Trek book, etc. Plus, sad to say, two of those cats are no longer with us . . . although I can't bring myself to delete their photos yet.

And that's a really old photo of Lyla, too, although I'm probably never going to change it. That's such a great photo of her!

As soon as I get out from beneath some pressing deadlines, I'll take an evening off to update it, I promise!
Sorry to hear about the loss of your pets, I know that can be very hard. It's nice that you still have their pictures up. And I wouldn't take down that photo of Lyla either. It's beautiful. I look forward to your updates. Do you have any short stories, or something like that? I like to take baby-steps in getting used to an author.
Thanks. For an update, Lyla is six years old now and a bit jowlier. We just got back from our morning walk and I'm now playing fetch with Sophie while gearing up to get some serious writing done.

[This concludes the OT Pet report.]

Regarding short stories, I've had stories published in a number of Trek anthologies, including Seven Deadly Sins, The Sky's The Limit, Enterprise Logs, Mirror Universe: Glass Empire, and Star Trek: The Amazing Stories. Thanks for asking and feel free to check them out!

Meanwhile, I have a very Uhura-centric novel, The Weight of Worlds, coming out from Pocket Books next year . . . .
Thanks for the pet update. Writing is a discipline, isn't it? I've never done any serious writing, but I do know that I never liked having to write for a deadline in school. My hat's off to you, and I look forward to hearing more about your Uhura book. I'll be looking into those shorts you mentioned.

Shanndee wrote: View Post
"You know what's funny, though? I don't know if it was a shipper war or not. The people that claimed that Spock couldn't, just couldn't, be with Uhura were very hard about it absolutely just having to be Kirk/Spock/McCoy as a friendship pairing that was dubbed "The Triumvirate." They went into all kinds of stuff about id, ego, and super-ego and how they needed each other and had to be together and never have any women in their lives or a family." (By S/U Fan)

I've come across these types as well. I love "the Triumvirate" as much as the next person, and I do want to see more of McCoy in the next movie...but not at the exclusion of everything else.

I tried to point out that everyone has their own id, ego, and superego and we all work towards healthy work relationships, friendships, and romantic relationships (usually without any of the relationships suffering too much). If these 3 men were operating without this ability they weren't particularly well rounded individuals and probably shouldn't be working in a stressful environment like Starfleet. But none of them even acknowledged the point!

So, don't worry about them and continue to enjoy your own thing S/U Fan!
Thank you very much, Shanndee. I think some people are never going to acknowledge the point. I tried too. Each one of them should be well-rounded and three-dimensional characters. It shouldn't be a case of three one-dimensional characters acting together to make one whole and fully three-dimensional person, but if that's what some people are into, then okay. I just have a problem with being told that I'm wrong for liking something different.

Now, on to some fun.
__________________
MA'AM. Hot damn, I can dig it.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 04:03 PM   #83
Redfern
Commodore
 
Redfern's Avatar
 
Location: Georgia, USA
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

I'm cool with it and I've been a viewer since 1972. I will admit I did a "Whu...?!" for about 2 or 3 seconds during that turbolift scene, but then I remembered those lil' "character" bits from "The Man Trap" and "Charlie X" before the scene in the movie even finished.

Concerning Spock's assumed bethrothal to T'Pring... Hey, perfect setup for a romantic conflict. With just 10,000 surviving Vulcans, NuSpock would understandably calculate the odds of her survival as nil. But if she did escape the grav' collapse of their homeworld, things will turn interesting to say the least. Since they are already bonded, you just know the remaining population will want them to breed. (Even if she didn't make it, I suspect the ruling body of the new colony will still want Spock's genes and may see Uhura as a "distraction".) And assuming T'Pring has survived and is anything like her "prime universe" counterpart, we could have a very different spin and new insights upon Pon Farr and the rituals surrounding it. Who knows, we could see two lovely lasses duking it out with lirpas, ahn-woons and possibly additional weapons, vying for the hand (and other parts) of Spock.

I'd pay to watch that, especially if their garments get torn in a fashion similar to "classic" Kirk's!

Sincerely,

Bill
__________________
Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 10:52 PM   #84
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

Redfern wrote: View Post
I'm cool with it and I've been a viewer since 1972. I will admit I did a "Whu...?!" for about 2 or 3 seconds during that turbolift scene, but then I remembered those lil' "character" bits from "The Man Trap" and "Charlie X" before the scene in the movie even finished.

Concerning Spock's assumed bethrothal to T'Pring... Hey, perfect setup for a romantic conflict. With just 10,000 surviving Vulcans, NuSpock would understandably calculate the odds of her survival as nil. But if she did escape the grav' collapse of their homeworld, things will turn interesting to say the least. Since they are already bonded, you just know the remaining population will want them to breed. (Even if she didn't make it, I suspect the ruling body of the new colony will still want Spock's genes and may see Uhura as a "distraction".)
Or they could become more isolationist and not want to dilute their tiny gene pool with human DNA.

And assuming T'Pring has survived and is anything like her "prime universe" counterpart, we could have a very different spin and new insights upon Pon Farr and the rituals surrounding it. Who knows, we could see two lovely lasses duking it out with lirpas, ahn-woons and possibly additional weapons, vying for the hand (and other parts) of Spock.

I'd pay to watch that, especially if their garments get torn in a fashion similar to "classic" Kirk's!
Couldn't hack that myself, except for the ripping part. I'm hoping that Spock's future pon farr story is retold quite differently with or without T'Pring. If she did survive it's a huge story element.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 10:27 AM   #85
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain
 
Spock/Uhura Fan's Avatar
 
Location: Where It's At.
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

^ Well, for obvious reasons, I hope she didn't make it.

__________________
MA'AM. Hot damn, I can dig it.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 12:17 PM   #86
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

I'd like some T'Pring centric stories. I want to know what was so hot about Stonn (he doesn't look very attractive to me). I want to know her pain when she realized she would have to breed with a half caste and make chit chat with a human MIL. I doubt having such a prestigious FIL would make up for this, and the brother.. Oy vey. Imagine having children connected by blood to Sybok. It's really not surprising she did everything she could to get out of it. Perhaps Stonn wasn't some true love, but just the guy who would go through with her plans.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 12:46 PM   #87
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain
 
Spock/Uhura Fan's Avatar
 
Location: Where It's At.
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

Well, I guess for me the reason why I don't need to see T'Pring in the movies is because that was all answered for me in fan fiction, and it would be like going backwards. I could send you a link to the story if you're interested. The writer did a very nice job.
__________________
MA'AM. Hot damn, I can dig it.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 01:36 PM   #88
Redfern
Commodore
 
Redfern's Avatar
 
Location: Georgia, USA
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

I hope you guys realize I was just being flippant. No way would a movie with a one-third to a one-half billion dollar budget devote resources to a subplot that would conclude with the Vulcan equivalent of nude female mud wrestling.

[Homer Simposn drooling voice] "Mmmm, nude Vulcan female mud wrestling...."[/Homer Simposn drooling voice]

Sincerely,

Bill
__________________
Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 01:47 PM   #89
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain
 
Spock/Uhura Fan's Avatar
 
Location: Where It's At.
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

^ I wouldn't have minded if you were completely serious. I just think it makes sense that Spock broke off his betrothal to T'Pring when he started getting seriously interested in Uhura. I don't think he'd be the kind of guy to date one lady while pledged to marry another. I think they were friends first (no harm in that), and once they realized that it was love, then T'Pring had to go, and hopefully she probably breathed a sigh of relief and moved on to Stonn. She and Spock would have never been happy together from my view.
__________________
MA'AM. Hot damn, I can dig it.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 03:47 PM   #90
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain
 
Spock/Uhura Fan's Avatar
 
Location: Where It's At.
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

@M'Sharak

I just noticed you embedded the S/U video on the first page for me. Thank you so much!!!
__________________
MA'AM. Hot damn, I can dig it.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf

Last edited by Spock/Uhura Fan; September 12 2012 at 05:20 PM. Reason: fix spelling. :)
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
love story, pairings, spock/uhura, star trek 2009

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.