Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old September 10 2012, 07:34 PM   #16
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Re: What exactly is Regeneration like to the Doctor?

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Aldo wrote: View Post
Obviously no one here is a Time Lord,
Speak for yourself....
**KLAXON**

Old September 10 2012, 09:01 PM   #17
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Australis wrote: View Post
Ten's speech about the "other guy goes swanning off" gave it a different spin, that the person is more 'dead' than we previously thought. Yep, memories, and basic physical structure remain, but most of the body's cells get in effect rebooted.
Yeah, I think that was the first time the Doctor admitted that whatever incarnation he's in does indeed die when he regenerates, with someone else then acquiring his memories and experiences afterward. The same Time Lord, yet not the same.

But thinking about what regeneration feels like, I think since the show's revival, regeneration might feel like being set on fire both inside and out.
Old September 11 2012, 08:53 AM   #18
Starkers
Admiral

I imagine regeneration is like needing the loo the morning after a really hot curry. There's nothing you can do to forstall it, it's not very nice while you're doing it, but afterwards you feel fine and its a bit of a relief...

I think I've read too many Guy Gardner posts...

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 08:00 PM   #19
Redfern
Commodore

Well, that's a rather sh!tty situation!

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 08:13 PM   #20
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Well, it's sort of like a rebirth, so it's probably as painful as labour. The reason they're getting more explosive over time is due to the repeated trauma from the large number of accumulated regenerations, sort of like a recurrent/worsening perineal tear...

Enjoy your dinner, folks!
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 09:19 PM   #21
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I thought it curious that Ten should, while his regeneration was pending, talk about it being like death and a new man swanning off; after all, when he first appeared, having regenerated from Nine, he told Rose that he was exactly the same man (as Nine, with a new face.
Old September 11 2012, 09:22 PM   #22
PorthosShadow
Fleet Captain

Holdfast wrote: View Post
Well, it's sort of like a rebirth, so it's probably as painful as labour. The reason they're getting more explosive over time is due to the repeated trauma from the large number of accumulated regenerations, sort of like a recurrent/worsening perineal tear...

Enjoy your dinner, folks!
Now we know why there is a limit to regenerations. If a Time Lord goes beyond 13 say good bye to your favorite galaxy and it's closest three neighbors.
Old September 11 2012, 09:53 PM   #23
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

There's been all that talk in "The Parting of the Ways" & "The End of Time" about whether or not the Doctor will still have legs or a head when he's done regenerating. And yet, all of the other Time Lords we've seen have been very human-looking. Here's my theory: Regeneration requires some effort and it's really dangerous. If you don't do it right, you end up deformed, possibly permanently. You can have some control over it but that depends on your degree of skill. When the Master did it in "Utopia," he just kinda went for the idea of being younger. The Doctor, of late, keeps trying to turn his hair ginger but is so unskilled that he just kinda has to settle for what he gets and focus most of his mental energy on the basics. Romana had more control over her regeneration because she is more skilled but it's still dangerous. (I mean, you could accidentally cut your own throat while shaving and bleed to death but it's a very minor risk if you know what you're doing.)

As for the change in personality, I think the brain ends up essentially the same. However, it's kinda like stuffing all of his memories into a bag, shaking them up, and spilling them out again. It's the same contents but in a radically different configuration.

When the 9th Doctor regenerated in a giant shower of CGI sparks, at the time, I attributed it to his body expelling all of the time vortex energy that he absorbed from Rose. But then they kept using that effect, so now I don't know. (Especially since, when I try to come up with rules for the Doctor & the Master, I realize they they don't necessarily account for River.)
Old September 12 2012, 09:25 AM   #24
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

I for one like the Doctor 10 philosophy, and perhaps it is only in those final moments that he can see the truth of it. He popped up and felt great but it isn't like 9 was there to argue the point. Its like asking Tom Riker if he misses being William Riker and then asking him if he would be willing to split again and let the new schism version of him go on living his life.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 10:34 AM   #25
Candlelight
Admiral

Like trying to give birth to a Volkswagen.
Old September 12 2012, 12:10 PM   #26
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I thought it curious that Ten should, while his regeneration was pending, talk about it being like death and a new man swanning off; after all, when he first appeared, having regenerated from Nine, he told Rose that he was exactly the same man (as Nine, with a new face.
I think Ten was a little bit precious and narcissistic about the whole thing, which is not entirely out of character. I'd wager that if the tenth Doctor ever met the eleventh, they would have a Second/Third relationship.
Old September 12 2012, 12:40 PM   #27
Australis
Writer

I'd pay good money to see that!
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 01:09 PM   #28
Starkers
Admiral

I just want to see Smith pulling a face and asking "Why do you keep apologising? Stop saying sorry all the time!"

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 03:01 PM   #29
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
I just want to see Smith pulling a face and asking "Why do you keep apologising? Stop saying sorry all the time!"
To which 10(nant) will reply "I'm Sorry, I'm soooo Sorry"

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 03:46 PM   #30
TyberiusDeAngelo
Lieutenant

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I started Doctor Who with the Ninth Doctor and this is how I had always interpreted regeneration...."same man, new face." I was never really comfortable with Ten's explanation of regeneration in his last episode.

On a different note, I don't think the Eleventh Doctor has that dread of regeneration. In the episode Let's Kill Hitler where River poisons The Doctor, he goes back into the TARDIS to locate a cure. When he learns there isn't one is says something along the lines of "fine, I'll just regenerate then." Maybe were are going back to the "same man new face" philosophy?
TyberiusDeAngelo is offline   Reply With Quote