Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 11 2012, 02:30 PM   #391
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile
Re: Buffy season nine discussion thread

^ This has already sparked a HUGE debate in fandom...

I don't see a problem, since it's not really changing the established mythology, i.e.
But some people are still worried about the "implications".

I'm waiting to see how it works out. There are lots of ways this can go right or go wrong.

The only thing that's frustrating is that Buffy's title has chased away almost every character important to Buffy, or relegated them to the background (we're still waiting for that Xander and Dawn storyline to start) and we'll have to wait quite a long time for them to come back. Meanwhile Angel & Faith seems to consist of various characters making hyped guest appearances which don't amount to much. Maybe because A&F is still selling much less than BtVS so they've been trying to prop up the sales? Despite the fact that BtVS's sales have dropped by some 800 copies from last month.

Latest sales (august):

97. Buffy season 9 - #9.12 - 26,569*
131. Spike #1 - 19,372
146. Angel & Faith #13 - 16,453

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/23854.html

* They listed the BtVS issue as "Freefall 12" instead of "Guarded pt 2."

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 07:21 PM   #392
Ethros
Vice Admiral

A huge debate about what? The inclusion of a gay character?

erm...
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 08:50 PM   #393
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

Ethros wrote: View Post
A huge debate about what? The inclusion of a gay character?

erm...
Specifically, the inclusion of a gay male character who is being called a "Slayer" (even though he's not technically) and what kind of implications that has, yada yada.

See it here.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old September 11 2012, 10:12 PM   #394
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Still not sure what the issue is.

A. They should read the article as it specifies the character isn't a Slayer, just a normal guy who slays vampires and would like to be a Slayer.

B. A gay character. Willow, Tara, Kennedy anyone?

C. A male gay character. If one finds a female gay character acceptable but not a male one, then I'd say that's maybe more stupid and offensive than just flat out not wanting any gay character.

That is all.
Old September 12 2012, 12:34 AM   #395
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

Ethros wrote: View Post
Still not sure what the issue is.

A. They should read the article as it specifies the character isn't a Slayer, just a normal guy who slays vampires and would like to be a Slayer.

B. A gay character. Willow, Tara, Kennedy anyone?

C. A male gay character. If one finds a female gay character acceptable but not a male one, then I'd say that's maybe more stupid and offensive than just flat out not wanting any gay character.

That is all.
They aren't annoyed that there is a gay male character, they're annoyed that a male character is being introduced with the title of Slayer, which other badass normals haven't been so far, and arguing whether it's only being done because he's gay, and whether this means equating gay men with women etc.

Personally, I think it's people making too much fuss and judging a story they haven't even read yet, but I'm just saying what they're debating.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old September 12 2012, 12:41 AM   #396
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

To me it just seems like he's going to be almost like a Batman type character. A human with no powers who has earned his way to the title Slayer. I wonder who bestows him that title? This has the potential to make the series extremely interesting again in my opinion.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 01:27 AM   #397
wamdue
Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I did see this news elsewhere and seeing this thread, I decided to put into words the first opinion ive had on Buffy in a long while.

So what follows is my opinion.

You know who I feel bad for all of this, Gunn. If there was ever a guy who earnt the mentle of Slayer its Gunn, of course the Buffy verse was very different then, when the idea of 1 slayer still meant something (ok Faith and Kendra had both been seen, but this was along time before "every girl who could be a slayer, becomes a slayer" )

As there is no longer a "The Slayer" no chosen one, that will of course change things, but Gunn was killing vampires long before this, so really thats not important either. Billy will earn the mantle of slayer, but only in the eyes of Buffy, but the mantle is meaningless really Gunn was killing vampires without need Buffys respect.

So before I move on, a quick round up, the title "Slayer" does not mean what it used to, men have always been able to slay vampires, its also not something Buffy gets to decide.

What troubles me with this move, is really what troubled me with Buffys final episode, the idea of an army of slayers is nice, but in reality it would not end up like that. All it would create is young women with the urge to get into a fights, Buffy would not meet yet alone train the majority of them, which would most likely mean some vampire gets an easy slayer kill, or the woman, gets into one too many fights, and without the proper training gets beat, killed, or gets down a self destructive path landing her in jail or worse.

In Billys example we see the ill advised message that femininity means great fighting strength, a highly questionable message to send to anyone. You also have this idea that gay men, are feminine and the suggestion that deep down they just want to hang with the girls etc, which maybe true in some cases, but is an over used cliché in the media.

You could go as far as to say that gay men having to prove there femininity to some alpha female, to be accepted is backwards, and just as bad as more traditional forms of homophobia.

So backtracking to earlier in my post, now the slayer title is meaningless, and so many girls can be a slayer, obviously Buffy needs to train them to a certain level, before she sees there training as complete and them as fully disciplined slayers, capable of all those other things slayers need to do, more than just kicking and punching really hard, something of course that mirrored her early training, or for that matter any fighters training. If someone without the slayer magic, can pass that training, why not call them a slayer, be they, male, female, Klingon or Silurian

So in conclusion, I dont see the big fuss Buffy fandom is making, and far from empowering gay men, it may continue to stereotype them. I think an straight male slayer, one who actually is a slayer, would have been far more interesting.
Old September 12 2012, 11:49 AM   #398
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

wamdue wrote: View Post
So in conclusion, I dont see the big fuss Buffy fandom is making, and far from empowering gay men, it may continue to stereotype them. I think an straight male slayer, one who actually is a slayer, would have been far more interesting.
That would be far worse and I'm sure the outcry would be far greater, as it should be, since it would completely overturn the mythology and premise the show was built on, that Slayers (actual Slayers, with superstrength and dreams etc., chosen to stand against the vampires and the demons etc.) are female.

My guess why Billy is called the Vampire Slayer in the title of the arc is because he models himself after the Slayers like Buffy - he's probably heard about them through the media. Holtz, Gunn etc. never aspired to be called Slayers or thought of Slayers as their role models.

Though there could be a transgender or transsexual real Slayer. That would be interesting. On the other hand, someone would probably complain that it sends the message that women who fight, who are athletic etc. are masculine. But someone will always complain about something, as we see now.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old September 12 2012, 04:42 PM   #399
wamdue
Admiral

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
wamdue wrote: View Post
That would be far worse and I'm sure the outcry would be far greater, as it should be, since it would completely overturn the mythology and premise the show was built on, that Slayers (actual Slayers, with superstrength and dreams etc., chosen to stand against the vampires and the demons etc.) are female..
whilst I agree that it goes against the mythology of the series, we have gone past the "the chosen one" part of the mythology.

That said they should not do that, I just think it would be more interesting that this non slayer, slayer which whilst it attempts to send out a good message, ends up with a rather mixed one.

Of course if we go down the line, that gay men are femmine, and sometimes have the same quality's as a woman, and then you wonder if one might have the quality that women have, that mean that they (not men) are called as slayers. Making them eligible to be called, which I guess really does send out the wrong message ive suggested the storylines send outs.

Forgive me, I do not recall why the first slayer was chosen, why she used to fight vampires etc
Old September 13 2012, 01:58 PM   #400
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Nine Freefall #13: A decent conclusion to the Tincan arc...if a pretty predictable resolution. As I suspected this was just a means to once again reinforce to Buffy that she is indeed the Slayer. It would seem to be that sometimes she needs to do things that reminder of her purpose. It is beyond destiny now for her, it is purpose she craves and it would seem she has reclaimed that now. I actually liked Kennedy in this...then again I never had the big hate on for her that most fans have. Also the remark about Giles...I think I've mentioned this before...but she is not going to react very well about Angel's plans regarding Giles. She would not approve of them. Not even as a way for Angel to redeem himself.

Next week, I think is the second issue of Spike's book.

Old September 13 2012, 09:46 PM   #401
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

The return of Dark Willow in Angel and Faith.
Old September 14 2012, 05:58 AM   #402
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Really the third return of Dark Willow, since we of course saw Dark Willow in last season's crossover with Fray in the future. This was pretty much teased on the covers.

Old September 30 2012, 07:25 AM   #403
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Finished Angel and Faith #14...this entire arc was simply stellar. I guess this could be considered almost like a sweeps episode, so much happens. Willow now is on her magic quest, Angel is near completion of his insane (I still think so) plan to resurrect Giles, and the Nadira arc is getting interesting now she has found out that Faith and Angel are actually working together and Faith has been lying to her all this time. I hope the quality continues because the book was lagging for a while. We seem to be kick started into the next phase of Gage's plot.

Old October 10 2012, 10:09 AM   #404
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Scott Allie has been named Dark Horse Editor In Chief in a decision that surprises no one?

Also today is the two part Male Slayer story line that Jane Espensen is writing.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=41466

Anyone still with me or have we given up?

Old October 10 2012, 06:38 PM   #405
Ethros
Vice Admiral

^ Partially yeah. Partly due to lack of interest, this season is going nowhere fast. And also due to my local comic store. It pretty much never has anything I want in stock, I went today hoping to get the new Buffy- didn't have it. And to catch up the last issues of Spike and A&F, of which only A&F they had. I know I could ask the staff but the main guy is the most miserable man ever, and I've overheard him on more than one occasion slagging off BTVS, and there's always a slight smirk on him whenever I buy one of the comics, so I've decided really I'm just not gonna spend my money there anymore.
Thus it means going to the comic stores further away, which I'll only do once in a while and buy a few at a time.

But anyway, yeah I can't say the plots this Season are jazzing me, compared to say the days of early Season 8/Angel:ATF for example.
With 25 issues we're almost three fifths into it now, and I can't say tonnes of great stuff has happened so far.