The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old August 29 2012, 09:50 PM   #16
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Re: How many people aboard Enterprise ncc-1701

Yep.

Also, in ST6 Valeris states that the Enterprise-A by that point had a crew of 300. And in the movie prior, she shipped out with "less than a skeleton crew aboard" per Scotty, but very little thought was really put into why the ship was sent off in the first place, in the condition she was in.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 02:56 AM   #17
blssdwlf
Commodore

Here's a run-down of crew sizes mentioned in TOS and TOS Movies (TOSM).

Interestingly, in TMP, if 172 are at duty stations and if they had 3 duty shifts then the total crew should be 516, not 432. But since they were on alert because of V'ger, it could be that an extra crew shift was up as well, but that would suggest perhaps 2 crew shifts of 86 with 172 as "superfluous"... Or, they have only two shifts of 172 with 88 as "superfluous"...

e2 "Where No Man Has Gone Before"
<100 Women as part of crew
MITCHELL: With almost a hundred women onboard, you can do better than that, friend Captain.
e8 "Charlie X"
428 Total
RAMART: Like a whole city in space, Charlie. Over four hundred in the crew of a starship, aren't there, Captain?
KIRK: Four hundred and twenty eight, to be exact.
e16 "The Menagerie"
203-206 Total, USS Enterprise 13 Years Prior to TOS
SPOCK: As I stated, gentlemen, this was thirteen years ago. We were on routine patrol when the ship's sensors detected something ahead. At first we were not certain what it was.
PIKE: You bet I'm tired. You bet. I'm tired of being responsible for two hundred and three lives.
e17 "Shore Leave"
431 Total
MCCOY: He needs it. You've got your problems, I've got mine. He's got ours, plus his, plus four hundred and thirty other people's.
e18 "The Squire of Gothos"
400 Total
KIRK: There are four hundred men and women aboard that ship.
e20 "The Alternative Factor"
431 Total
KIRK: Lazarus, you're hurt. I know. I sympathize, but I've got four hundred and thirty other men to worry about.
e21 "Tomorrow is Yesterday"
430 Total
MCCOY: There are four hundred and thirty of us, and that means four hundred and thirty chances of altering the future.
e23 "A Taste of Armageddon"
500 Total
ANAN: Are those five hundred people of yours more important than the hundreds of millions of innocent people on Eminiar and Vendikar?
e26 "The Devil in the Dark"
~100 Security Troops including Kirk and Spock
KIRK: You may be right, Doctor, but at least it's something to go on. Mister Spock, have Lieutenant Commander Giotto assemble the security troops and arm them with phaser number two. You make the proper adjustments. You seem fascinated by this rock.
SPOCK: Captain, there are approximately one hundred of us engaged in this search, against one creature.
e33 "Who Mourns for Adonais"
431 Total
KIRK: I have four hundred and thirty people on that ship up there.
e35 "The Doomsday Machine"
401 Total for USS Constellation
DECKER: Don't you think I know that? There was, but not anymore. They called me. They begged me for help, four hundred of them. I couldn't.
e36 "Wolf in the Fold"
<440 Total including visitors from planet below
SPOCK: Indeed, it will try, but not immediately. We know it feeds on fear and terror. There are nearly four hundred and forty humans aboard this ship. Surely it will try to breed fear and terror before it kills.
e38 "The Apple.htm"
400 On Ship with Kirk's party below
KIRK: You're fired. Four hundred people
e47 "Obsession"
<400 Total for USS Farragut, 11 Years Prior to TOS
SPOCK: Fortunately, I read somewhat faster. In brief, Doctor, nearly half the crew and the captain were annihilated. The captain's name was Garrovick.
MCCOY: Am I? I was speaking of Lieutenant James T. Kirk of the starship Farragut. Eleven years ago, you were the young officer
at the phaser station when something attacked. According to the tapes, this young Lieutenant Kirk insisted upon blaming himself.
KIRK: Don't you understand? It killed two hundred crewmen.
e48 "The Immunity Syndrome"
400 Total for USS Intrepid
SPOCK: Captain, the Intrepid. It just died. And the four hundred Vulcans aboard, all dead.
e49 "A Piece of the Action"
>400 Total
KIRK: There are over four hundred guys there.
e53 "The Ultimate Computer"
430 Total for USS Enterprise, ~400 per ship in wargame fleet
DAYSTROM: It takes four hundred thirty people to man a starship. With this, you don't need anyone. One machine can do all those things they send men out to do now.
KIRK: There's your murder charge. Deliberate. Calculated. It's killing men and women. Four starships, sixteen hundred men and women!
e54 "The Omega Glory"
> 400 Total, USS Exeter
CAPTAIN'S LOG: What could have happened to him and the over four hundred men and women who were on this ship?
e60 "And the Children Shall Lead"
430 Total
SPOCK: Captain, the four hundred and thirty men and women on board the Enterprise and the ship itself are endangered by these children.
e66 "The Day of The Dove"
430 Total, as 38 Are not trapped
SCOTT: Three hundred and ninety two trapped below decks.
e72 "The Mark of Gideon"
430 Total
KIRK: I seem to be the only one of my crew left on board the Enterprise. Four hundred and thirty, and I, apparently, am the only one left.
KIRK: Well, let's see. Power, that's no problem, it regenerates. And food. We have enough to feed a crew of four hundred and thirty for five years.
e73 "The Lights of Zetar"
430 Total
MCCOY: Lieutenant, there are four hundred and thirty people aboard this ship. You're the only one that passed out, and I want to know why.
TOSM1 "The Motion Picture"
432 Total, Before Ilia was replaced by probe. 430 Total, End of Movie.
COMPUTER VOICE: Crew status is one seven two at duty stations, two four eight off duty, eleven in sickbay, all minor, Over.
TOSM6 "The Undiscovered Country":
> 300 since there still had to be crew left to man their stations
VALERIS: None. We have got a crew of three hundred turning their own quarters inside out, but the killers may still be among them. Surely they have disposed of these boots by now. Would it not have been logical to have left them on Gorkon's ship?
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 12:07 PM   #18
Timo
Admiral

<400 Total for USS Farragut, 11 Years Prior to TOS [as per] "Fortunately, I read somewhat faster. In brief, Doctor, nearly half the crew and the captain were annihilated."
Actually, that's >400 because 200 is not yet quite half of it...

It would seem that all figures for Kirk's vessel markedly differing from 430 are rough estimates or downright errors made by uninformed people.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 02:25 PM   #19
blssdwlf
Commodore

Timo wrote: View Post
<400 Total for USS Farragut, 11 Years Prior to TOS [as per] "Fortunately, I read somewhat faster. In brief, Doctor, nearly half the crew and the captain were annihilated."
Actually, that's >400 because 200 is not yet quite half of it...

It would seem that all figures for Kirk's vessel markedly differing from 430 are rough estimates or downright errors made by uninformed people.

Timo Saloniemi
Good catch.

Although Anan's figure might be an estimate, he did have good reason to have an accurate count for reporting to the death chambers plus Ambassador Fox might have had a large delegation with him pushing the number to 500.
Old August 30 2012, 03:49 PM   #20
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I'd go with the rough estimates (some folks could just round off 430 as 400). But I think it's also possible that the precise number of Kirk's crew varied following various crew rotations, but generally hovered around 430.
Old August 30 2012, 04:29 PM   #21
Timo
Admiral

Agreed that it varied a bit - we get many precise figures that are a tad above or below 430. No doubt when twenty security officers and ten scientists rotated off the ship, Kirk sometimes got eighteen security guys, four scientists and ten engineers in return, and so forth.

Timo Saloniemi
Old August 30 2012, 08:02 PM   #22
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

I would think the exact number is mission specific, also depending on recent deaths and crew rotation/configurations at a starbase.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 08:15 PM   #23
USS Jack Riley
Captain

Could the 300 number that Valeris cites in STIV be related to all that equipment aboard related to "gaseous anomalies" that Uhura suggests as a way to track Chang's BoP? They removed some crew to make room for the equipment. Just a thought.

"Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
Imagineer's Answer: Does it have to have a light bulb?"
USS Jack Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 09:25 PM   #24
Wingsley
Commodore

I would like to suggest that, while exact numbers of starship compliments could vary from time to time, there's also the possibility that just because a vessel is listed in a specific ship-class doesn't mean that it has roughly the same compliment as every other ship in that same class.

IIRC, Greg Jein uncovered some stuff from "Court Martial" for a 1973 article in T-Netgative, that seemed to vaguely suggest the starships of a given class may be divided by further categorizations. So could it be that not all Connies have virtually the same compliment? Could some crew rosters differ depending on assignment/mission profile?
Old August 31 2012, 03:55 AM   #25
blssdwlf
Commodore

Sure. The Enterprise is proof that crew size can vary significantly. Under Pike's command, she had about 206 crew. Kirk's was 430. It is even possible that in WNMHGB Kirk's ship could still have been 200 crew for their probe out of the galaxy.
Old August 31 2012, 07:16 AM   #26
Timo
Admiral

Under Pike's command, she had about 206 crew.
Or at least Pike felt he was "responsible" for that number. Perhaps he didn't care all that much about the remaining 225?

Remember her unease with women. Perhaps this is an example of his misogyny, him thinking he's responsible for the weaker half of his crew while the other half takes care of itself.

Timo Saloniemi
Old August 31 2012, 05:06 PM   #27
Albertese
Commodore

Umm, I'm sure that was meant tongue-in-cheek, but I should point out that he felt responsible for the crew who died on Rigel, one of which was his yeoman, who seems to have been a man given that Pike was so upset about the replacement yeoman (Colt) having been a girl.

--Alex
Old August 31 2012, 05:31 PM   #28
tighr
Commodore

Wingsley wrote: View Post
IIRC, Greg Jein uncovered some stuff from "Court Martial" for a 1973 article in T-Netgative, that seemed to vaguely suggest the starships of a given class may be divided by further categorizations. So could it be that not all Connies have virtually the same compliment? Could some crew rosters differ depending on assignment/mission profile?
I don't know how many "further categorizations" there could really be, but a good example of that would be the difference between the original Enterprise and the Refit. Same basic ship, different configurations.
Old September 11 2012, 10:36 PM   #29
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Wingsley wrote: View Post
"So could it be that not all Connies have virtually the same compliment? Could some crew rosters differ depending on assignment/mission profile?"
"All these people" are needed for other, very practical reasons. The Enterprise occasionally will leave a small group of people behind on some planet, for a variety of reasons. ... It dictates a crew complement large enough to withstand those temporary losses of personnel and still continue normal operations. (Making of Star Trek, part II, chapter 3)

Bob

P.S. Connies? Are you talking about the class the movie Enterprise is a member of or the original Enterprise Class the TV Enterprise belongs to?
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 01:58 AM   #30
Albertese
Commodore

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post

P.S. Connies? Are you talking about the class the movie Enterprise is a member of or the original Enterprise Class the TV Enterprise belongs to?
Both. "Connie" is a nick-name for any Constitution-class starship. it is a term often used for many years by the fan community, I'm surprised you've never seen it before.

Also, the Enterprise-E, Sovereign-class starship is sometimes called a "Sovvie" though, maybe not as often.

Personally, I use "Connie" to refer to the TOS version and "Connie-refit" to talk about the movie version.

--Alex