Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 10 2012, 11:26 PM   #16
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: Which Show to watch?

Gaith wrote: View Post
[Picture of Carnivale title]
Oh, we're just generally recommending shows now? Alright.

I'd actually second Carnivale, but with the caveat that it's a weird mythology-driven series, some kind of supernatural apocalypse set in the 1930s, America, during the Dustbowl. The series was cancelled so the ending is unsatisfying, but the mythology was actually quite well thought out, which is refreshing.

It's definitely not for everyone though. A tl;dr description would be HBO's answer to Twin Peaks, which, given the casting of Michael J. Anderson in a prominent role, is sort of obvious.

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
No love for nuBSG? It's worth a look!
The new Battlestar Galactica is a fantastic series. In fact, being a dark, serious space opera with a serialized storytelling and morally compromised leads, it's more a 21st century heir to Deep Space Nine and Babylon 5 than any other TV show. Sure, the series can get frustrating, and the mythology arc is less satisfying the more you think about it, but in many other respects - its approach to drama, characterisation, the political and military content - it's one of the best space operas around.

My own recommendations would be kind of scanty, as I can almost name the sci-fi shows I actually like from the last decade on one hand. But what it's worth, if you want a cool, weird sci-fi show that blends a tale of interlocking alternate realities with ecological concerns, cyberpunk, and a fresh South African setting... there's always Charlie Jade.

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Or go find Dr Who, obviously.
Never cared much for Who.
Old September 11 2012, 02:53 AM   #17
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

Charlie Jade looks like something to watch...but can't seem to find it on Netflix/amazon.

I have decided that I am going though

DS9 -> B5 -> Farscape -> SG1 => NuBSG

Which should keep me busy for ..a year or so.
Old September 11 2012, 03:39 AM   #18
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Gonna add my vote to "finish DS9 and B5" but then go to SG-1
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 04:08 AM   #19
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Distorted Humor wrote: View Post
Charlie Jade looks like something to watch...but can't seem to find it on Netflix/amazon.
It is notoriously difficult to get in some areas, although I believe in the Americas it had a short run on Sci-Fi (had a run on UK tv on FX, which is how I saw it). DVDs were easy enough to get on Amazon.co.uk, but I see that's not quite the same for Americans. Shame.

Conservatively speaking. I mean, SG1 is what, ten seasons? You're gonna be at that a while... but a fun while, to be sure. Enjoy.
Old September 11 2012, 04:18 AM   #20
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

I will, finished up the opener for DS9...one down, many to go
Old September 11 2012, 04:35 PM   #21
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Evil Twin wrote: View Post
NOT THIS! Seriously, it's the only HBO show I've watched that I ultimately WOULDN'T recommend. Not enough stuff gets answered before the show got axed, so it just ends up being a bizarre, vague, and confusing series. I liked the setting, but that's about it.
Really? Unlike Lost, BSG and Twin Peaks, Carnivāle was pretty fully plotted from the get-go. Sure, the story isn't completely wrapped up, but I'd say that 80-90% of the questions posed in the first two seasons are answered by the show's end (check out the super-detailed Wiki pages if you don't already believe). What nagging mysteries eluded you?
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 07:47 PM   #22
Mistral
Vice Admiral

1001001 wrote: View Post
Stargate: SG1 is a solid, fun show. It goes on for many years, and gets a satisfying ending.
Plus, it has spin off movies. Always a bonus, IMO.
As does B5.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 10:30 PM   #23
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Really? Unlike Lost, BSG and Twin Peaks, Carnivāle was pretty fully plotted from the get-go. Sure, the story isn't completely wrapped up,
Well, that's an understatement. I would rather say 'ends on massively infuriating cliffhanger.'
Old September 12 2012, 01:53 AM   #24
JD
Admiral

Distorted Humor wrote: View Post

Looks good to me.
I wonder what happened to Charlie Jade, I just watched it on Netflix streaming service a few months ago. They have it for free on Hulu though.
Old September 12 2012, 08:20 PM   #25
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
Really? Unlike Lost, BSG and Twin Peaks, Carnivāle was pretty fully plotted from the get-go. Sure, the story isn't completely wrapped up,
Well, that's an understatement. I would rather say 'ends on massively infuriating cliffhanger.'
To me, "cliffhanger" means that something big is just about to happen/get started. See: Marty stuck in 1955 again at the end of BttF II, "The Best of Both Worlds, Part I". But Carnivāle was always intended to be a six-season trilogy of three two-season parts, and, given the tone of the finale's last scenes, I expect there would have been a lot more build-up to the next big event in the overall story. So sure, the epic was unfinished, but I wouldn't call the finale a cliffhanger per se.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 08:27 PM   #26
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Finish DS9 and B5. move on to Farscape and SG1.

Or go find Dr Who, obviously.
/Thread
Old September 12 2012, 08:56 PM   #27
Kegg
Rear Admiral

To me, "cliffhanger" means that something big is just about to happen/get started.
I'm pretty sceptical of the idea of defining cliffhanger in such a way you don't have to say an obvious cliffhanger is a cliffhanger, so I checked Wikipedia's brief.

A cliffhanger or cliffhanger ending is a plot device in fiction which features a main character in a precarious or difficult dilemma, or confronted with a shocking revelation at the end of an episode of serialized fiction. A cliffhanger is hoped to ensure the audience will return to see how the characters resolve the dilemma.
How Carnivale leaves us definitely qualifies,