RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,380
Posts: 5,357,090
Members: 24,628
Currently online: 519
Newest member: suryaprabu02

TrekToday headlines

The Gene Roddenberry Project Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Moore: No Deep Space Nine Regrets
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 4 2012, 09:58 AM   #1
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Black Mesa

Don't know if anyone else has been looking forward to this as much as I have, or written it off as vapourware and forgot it even existed, but the source mod that claims to totally remake the original Half-Life is finally ready for release...almost.

Apparently they've got everything up to and including Lambda Core done, so they're releasing it as is and are planning to release (a greatly expanded and re-imagined) Xen later on as a game unto itself.

Anyway, the release date from the mod has been set for September 14th.

Oh and here's the trailer. Who knew 2009 would take so long to get here?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 04:47 PM   #2
John Clark
Commodore
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Re: Black Mesa

I too have been waiting for this for a while. I'll be getting it as soon as I can (though playing will probably take a little while)
__________________
If there's a justification for my actions right now, it's this: I have gone completely mad
John Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 06:24 PM   #3
Geckothan
Fleet Captain
 
Geckothan's Avatar
 
Location: People's Republic of Britainistan
Re: Black Mesa

I used to know a mapper that was working on this, back when it was named 'Black Mesa: Source'. I think the project died out completely for a while, as most of the team seems to have changed completely. Given how many times it has been put on hold, I wouldn't trust that release date.
__________________
You're a classic example of the inverse ratio between the size of the mouth and the size of the brain.

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 04:15 AM   #4
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral
 
Kelthaz's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Re: Black Mesa

Reverend wrote: View Post
Don't know if anyone else has been looking forward to this as much as I have, or written it off as vapourware and forgot it even existed, but the source mod that claims to totally remake the original Half-Life is finally ready for release...almost.
That's the one. I never did finish Half Life (I didn't play it until after Half Life 2, so I found it rather bland. Never did finish it.), so I've been really looking forward to this. Hopefully Xen gets a few improvements.
__________________
"Who are you?! And how did you get in here?!"

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 10:18 AM   #5
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Black Mesa

Geckothan wrote: View Post
I used to know a mapper that was working on this, back when it was named 'Black Mesa: Source'. I think the project died out completely for a while, as most of the team seems to have changed completely. Given how many times it has been put on hold, I wouldn't trust that release date.
As far as I'm aware the only date they missed was the 2009 one and since then the devs have refused to discuss a release date in even vague terms...until now of course. So I think that date is fairly solid.

Ah and for anyone who wants this mod to be available on steam; here's the Greenlight link and be sure to vote yes!
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 01:10 PM   #6
Kadratis
Fleet Captain
 
Kadratis's Avatar
 
Location: Dayton, OH
Re: Black Mesa

I'll believe it when I see it.
Kadratis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 02:47 PM   #7
Geckothan
Fleet Captain
 
Geckothan's Avatar
 
Location: People's Republic of Britainistan
Re: Black Mesa

Reverend wrote: View Post
Geckothan wrote: View Post
I used to know a mapper that was working on this, back when it was named 'Black Mesa: Source'. I think the project died out completely for a while, as most of the team seems to have changed completely. Given how many times it has been put on hold, I wouldn't trust that release date.
As far as I'm aware the only date they missed was the 2009 one and since then the devs have refused to discuss a release date in even vague terms...until now of course. So I think that date is fairly solid.

Ah and for anyone who wants this mod to be available on steam; here's the Greenlight link and be sure to vote yes!
Public release dates maybe, but I know that lots of their internal targets have been missed/ignored over the years. Most of the content in the mod that was supposedly 'finished' back when I used to follow its development has long been scrapped.
__________________
You're a classic example of the inverse ratio between the size of the mouth and the size of the brain.

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 05:57 PM   #8
Chris3123
Vice Admiral
 
Chris3123's Avatar
 
Location: Pensacola, FL
Re: Black Mesa

Awesome, I've been waiting for them to finish this.

II played through the original recently, so it will be fresh in my mind when I go through this.
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 07:54 PM   #9
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Black Mesa

^It's actually been quite a while since I played the original. I think the last time I had it installed I didn't get much past 'On a Rail'. The game sort of grinds to a halt there. Thankfully I think the mod greatly cuts back on that section of the game.

Now that I think about it, I think I've only ever made it all the way to Xen twice, not counting 'Opposing Force' & 'Blue Shift'. It's actually quite a long game, even at the time and most especially by modern standards.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 08:03 PM   #10
Geckothan
Fleet Captain
 
Geckothan's Avatar
 
Location: People's Republic of Britainistan
Re: Black Mesa

I've probably finished HL and HL2 (and the episodes) a billion times. The only HL game I don't enjoy replaying is Opposing Force, because it's painful in places with the difficulty turned up (as it should be) and it's too short (longer than Blue Shift, but at least Blue Shift is easy enough to blast through and enjoy in one go). The original HL has a perfect balance of length and difficulty.
__________________
You're a classic example of the inverse ratio between the size of the mouth and the size of the brain.

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 08:03 PM   #11
Matt S
Lieutenant
 
Matt S's Avatar
 
Re: Black Mesa

Glad to hear that this may be hitting soon. What is this redo, 10 years in the making?
__________________
Balok knows all!!!!!
Matt S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 09:18 PM   #12
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Black Mesa

^More like 7 or 8. Considering it takes a professional *paid* team working 9-5 at least 12 months to make a game of this size, 8 years isn't bad considering it was done in peoples' free time and for no money.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 05:21 PM   #13
Matt S
Lieutenant
 
Matt S's Avatar
 
Re: Black Mesa

Looking forward to it, but just hope they finish the rest of it sooner than later
__________________
Balok knows all!!!!!
Matt S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 12:09 PM   #14
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Black Mesa

You know I had planned on playing through HL2 this week to get me back into the HL groove, but for some reason the game is stuttering something awful! It was fine up until mid-way through "Route Kanal" but I'm not at "Black Mesa East" and it's damn near unplayable. I've owned this game for something like 8 years and have had it installed on this machine at least once before without any trouble, so you can imagine it's bloody annoying.

I just hope it's just HL2 playing silly buggers and not the source engine suddenly deciding it doesn't like my machine. If so, the chances of be getting to play 'Black Mesa' this week are decidedly slim.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 02:10 PM   #15
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: A broken roof
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Black Mesa

Reverend wrote: View Post
You know I had planned on playing through HL2 this week to get me back into the HL groove, but for some reason the game is stuttering something awful! It was fine up until mid-way through "Route Kanal" but I'm not at "Black Mesa East" and it's damn near unplayable. I've owned this game for something like 8 years and have had it installed on this machine at least once before without any trouble, so you can imagine it's bloody annoying.

I just hope it's just HL2 playing silly buggers and not the source engine suddenly deciding it doesn't like my machine. If so, the chances of be getting to play 'Black Mesa' this week are decidedly slim.
Try defragmenting your Steam files. That is the #1 cause of stuttering, due to the way the Source engine streams textures and such from disk. If they are spread out all over the drive, they will stutter if your disk isn't especially fast.
__________________
It's all false love and affection
The Journeyman - Buy it now! Maybe?
My world simulation project!
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.