Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 8 2012, 12:19 PM   #316
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray Audio Issues

Kryten wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I don't understand why so many decided to try and to get the replacements from the various retailers they bought it from rather than going directly to Paramount/CBS's replacement program.
Probably as for one there doesn't actually seem to be a replacement programme in the UK. Those who bought from a couple of retailers are getting them replaced automatically by them but otherwise Sony DADC/Paramount are telling people to just return them to their retailers when they ask about the replacement programme.

I've seen a few e-mails from them elsewhere which included "Sony DADC UK simply the distributor of the goods, not the manufacturer or retailer; therefore are not required to replace any stock direct to the end user." This is rather at odds to the initial e-mail that they would all be replaced free of charge.

Not very impressive at all and I'm not too impressed with this "replacement" programme! I've ended up sending my set back to my retailer who denied there was a problem when I first contacted them for a replacement. They also aren't even contacting customers to tell them they bought a recalled product.
I got my set changed at HMV in-store without any problem.
Old September 9 2012, 02:57 PM   #317
Admiral Bear
Captain

Strewth, you wouldn't believe how much people are willing to pay for the dodgy season one sets on eBay. One's already going for £45 inc postage.
Admiral Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 03:44 AM   #318
GNDN
Commodore

Received discs 1,3,4 & 5 and the "sympathy card" postcard (which is actually pretty cool)

Submitted request via email a day or two after it was offered. I'm in New Jersey FYI.

Of course now I'm away from my blu ray player for a week, so I'll have some rewatching to look forward to.
Old September 10 2012, 04:47 AM   #319
cbspock
Rear Admiral

I watched Hide and Q tonight, the mix on the main titles are messed up. The sound effects and Patrick Stewart's opening narration are way up, the music is dialed way down. The rest of the episode is center channel heavy, the surrounds are very muted.

Note this is on the NEW replacement discs.

-Chris
Old September 10 2012, 12:18 PM   #320
Falcor5
Fleet Captain

GNDN wrote: View Post
Received discs 1,3,4 & 5 and the "sympathy card" postcard (which is actually pretty cool)

Submitted request via email a day or two after it was offered. I'm in New Jersey FYI.

Of course now I'm away from my blu ray player for a week, so I'll have some rewatching to look forward to.
Cool! Still waiting for mine, Hopefully this week!
Falcor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 01:31 PM   #321
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

picard_2305 wrote: View Post
That's it I am going to call play.com before 5 pm on Mon so I can speak to their head office. If they don't give me the answer I want to hear I will refund my set and wil rebuy it from Amazon since I know that they have the replacements.

I can be patient to a point but play are not saying anything and their customer service is not giving me a reliable answer.

Customers who bought of play.com, are you getting a bad vibe about this?
Not really, I can wait. Mind you, I don't have a surround sound system anyway, and I didn't notice the FX cock-ups.
Old September 10 2012, 01:45 PM   #322
Dream
Admiral

Amazon just put this up on their TNG season one Blu-ray page. I wouldn't expect the product to be back up to order until a few weeks from now.

Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 03:04 PM   #323
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

FWIW, Tesco in the UK just shipped me a free complete replacement set today out of the blue. I emailed them about the issue about a month ago and got a standard "If your item is defective please send it in and we will issue a replacement" email so I just didn't bother and expected nothing. Lo and behold, this morning I woke up to a parcel through the mailbox with a complete set (with the red delta on the spine) for free!

So, Tesco in the UK are also honoring the replacement scheme.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 08:12 PM   #324
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

Dac wrote: View Post
FWIW, Tesco in the UK just shipped me a free complete replacement set today out of the blue. I emailed them about the issue about a month ago and got a standard "If your item is defective please send it in and we will issue a replacement" email so I just didn't bother and expected nothing. Lo and behold, this morning I woke up to a parcel through the mailbox with a complete set (with the red delta on the spine) for free!

So, Tesco in the UK are also honoring the replacement scheme.
Exactly the same happened to me from the same retailer, only took me ten phone calls to lots of different people!

Now about the lip sync... anyone else think it is a bit off on the replacement discs?
Old September 10 2012, 09:29 PM   #325
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

I guess I have you to thank then, USS KG5!

As for my replacements, I had a quick run through on 11001001, Heart of Glory and The Neutral Zone. Audio was fixed on 11001001, the phaser shot was fixed on Heart of Glory but the cryosleep station shot from the opening of The Neutral Zone is still about 20 pixels up from the bottom of the screen, so it cuts off short of the bottom and you can see stars below it.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 09:58 PM   #326
Mott the barber
Commodore

This may be a dumb question, but if I only have two speakers and I set to the 7.1 instead of the stereo, will I be loosing so much of the sound on the 7.1 that it's worth it for me to just keep it on the overall lower quality stereo mix?
Old September 10 2012, 11:45 PM   #327
csewell
Cadet

Captain Fine wrote: View Post
Anyone in Canada received replacements yet?
Received mine today in Vancouver, BC.
csewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 12:00 AM   #328
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Mott the barber wrote: View Post
This may be a dumb question, but if I only have two speakers and I set to the 7.1 instead of the stereo, will I be loosing so much of the sound on the 7.1 that it's worth it for me to just keep it on the overall lower quality stereo mix?
In my opinion, no. The bitrate of the DD 2.0 track is only 192kbps. The HDMI handshake with your TV (I'm assuming you're connected via HDMI to a TV with two speakers) tells the Blu-ray player's decoder to take the 7.1 DTS-HD MA track and output stereo LPCM (i.e. uncompressed) when the TV's EDID (Extended display identification data) shows it to have a 2-channel audio sink profile.

So, to boil it down... it's best to choose the highest quality audio available and let the player decide how to handle it based on what it's connected to.
Old September 11 2012, 02:37 AM   #329
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Dac wrote: View Post
the cryosleep station shot from the opening of The Neutral Zone is still about 20 pixels up from the bottom of the screen, so it cuts off short of the bottom and you can see stars below it.
I find this ironic, since this is the exact shot they used when mentioning why they couldn't make the models work in widescreen due to the cut off edges of the models
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 04:16 AM   #330
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain

View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine

csewell wrote: View Post
Captain Fine wrote: View Post
Anyone in Canada received replacements yet?
Received mine today in Vancouver, BC.
Thanks for responding to my query