Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 6 2012, 04:23 PM   #16
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Re: Pine: Star Trek 2 Threat

if Prime Spock dies, it would hopefully be from old age.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 04:49 PM   #17
SeamusShameless
Commander

I'm betting on Arne Darvin, from what I've heard, they didn't use him in "The Truth About Tribbles", that leaves him open for an appearance in this movie. Darvin would be the perfect villain to use. He's established in canon, has only been used twice, and he's still enough of a mystery that they can do just about anything with him. Maybe this time his eco-terrorism will be targeted at New Vulcan as opposed to Sherman's Planet. Hell, for all we know New Vulcan might be Sherman's Planet. Regardless, the Federation had to have been shaken up by the destuction of Vulcan, and another power is bound to take advantage of it. Why not the Klingons? I've been waiting a long time for them to be bad again.

Kirk: Young... I feel young.
SeamusShameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 07:42 PM   #18
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

SeamusShameless wrote: View Post
I'm betting on Arne Darvin...
I don't know if I'd "bet" on it, but I would be willing to see Arne Darvin as the prime antagonist in this film. I mean, why not? There is no need for it to have anything at all to do with tribbles. It could be a film about a Klingon spy masquerading as a human to infiltrate high levels of the Federation Government.

There are plenty of great stories that can be created out of that basic premise.

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 01:00 AM   #19
SeamusShameless
Commander

Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
I'm betting on Arne Darvin...
I don't know if I'd "bet" on it, but I would be willing to see Arne Darvin as the prime antagonist in this film... It could be a film about a Klingon spy masquerading as a human to infiltrate high levels of the Federation Government.
"Bet" might not have been the best choice of words, but judging by Orci's remarks that Cumberbatch's character is canon and probably not from the first season, Arne Darvin fits the bill. Plus, he's not a character that people who aren't super familiar with Trek (or perhaps even those who are) will know and therfore say, "Not seeing it, that's been done." Mostly, I just want me some Darvin/ Klingons behaving badly.

Kirk: Young... I feel young.

Last edited by SeamusShameless; September 7 2012 at 01:01 AM. Reason: I'm Stupid
SeamusShameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 01:46 PM   #20
SimpleLogic

I'm betting on Arne Darvin, from what I've heard, they didn't use him in "The Truth About Tribbles", that leaves him open for an appearance in this movie. Darvin would be the perfect villain to use. He's established in canon, has only been used twice, and he's still enough of a mystery that they can do just about anything with him. Maybe this time his eco-terrorism will be targeted at New Vulcan as opposed to Sherman's Planet. Hell, for all we know New Vulcan might be Sherman's Planet. Regardless, the Federation had to have been shaken up by the destuction of Vulcan, and another power is bound to take advantage of it. Why not the Klingons? I've been waiting a long time for them to be bad again.
I really like your suggestion. I think it could work. I mean Mr. Darvin with his latter appearance on DS9 proved he was a survivor, although he does get caught. It would be interesting to make him more of a James Bond villain/spy type of threat. It is more interesting to me than remaking Space Seed/TWOK

Tinker, Tailor, Darvin, Spy
Old September 8 2012, 08:01 PM   #21
Matt S
Lieutenant

Xaios wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Didn't Orci say there are no reset buttons anymore?
Didn't Nimoy say that Wrath of Khan would be his last Star Trek film?
LOL, yup!
Old September 8 2012, 11:05 PM   #22
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Orci once said the sequel would be inspired by The Dark Knight. Which means Uhura is killed by the bad guy and Spock blames Kirk for it, and the Tumbler, err, the Enterprise gets destroyed.
Bring on the Trek-pod!
Old September 10 2012, 01:50 AM   #23
JudgeDredd
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
You guys are missing a big hint in that story...

“The force [the Enterprise crew] are met with is much more frightening.
It's Mitchell. He's the character who best fits "frightening force." Maybe Lord Garth, outside odds on Gary Seven, but Khan is less lkely than a herd of tribbles. He represents a threatening idea more than a force, and popcorn movies are poor places to explore ideas. Mitchell and his glowing eyes are tailor made for a summer flick.
Not that I wouldn't mind Mitchell, but the comics are canon. Mitchell is "killed" in the first arc. Do you think they're going to completely ignore the comics continuity or deal with Mitchell's return?
JudgeDredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 02:22 AM   #24
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Star-Hawk wrote: View Post
You guys are missing a big hint in that story...

“The force [the Enterprise crew] are met with is much more frightening.
It's Mitchell. He's the character who best fits "frightening force." Maybe Lord Garth, outside odds on Gary Seven, but Khan is less lkely than a herd of tribbles. He represents a threatening idea more than a force, and popcorn movies are poor places to explore ideas. Mitchell and his glowing eyes are tailor made for a summer flick.
Not that I wouldn't mind Mitchell, but the comics are canon.
I refer you to this post:
Christopher wrote: View Post
Lightshield wrote: View Post
Orci stated at Comic-Con, when pressed, that all of the recent IDW Star Trek comic books are canon...
And he's already walked back that statement:

Bob Orci wrote:
0h please. have a little fun. i said and have said exactly what you just said forever, but Pascale pushed me, he wont give up! i have said a million times that we cant determine what is canon. on this day, i said something else. “consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds”
(Source: comment #102 in this TrekMovie post.)

So the comics still aren't considered canonical. Basically an interviewer was pushing the question and trying to convince Orci to declare he would treat Abramsverse Trek tie-ins as the same kind of non-binding "canon" as Star Wars tie-ins, and Orci just played along, probably because it was easier than arguing.
Old September 10 2012, 08:17 AM   #25
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Ins[ired by Dark Knight. The federation will turn against Kirk, let's reember how the Archon comic had ended.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 10:07 AM   #26
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

He's the Captain they deserve, and not the one they need right now. LOL.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 09:06 PM   #27
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Why would anyone in their right minds let comics drive the movies anyway? The money to be made from movies is vastly greater. The success of the franchise depends on the next movie being a hit. The comics can be a big hit by comics standards, but that money is piddly by comparison and won't get more movies or a TV series greenlit.

Talk about putting the cart before the horse. Orci should have said that to the interviewer, although it would probably sound too business focused and crass for a fan audience, even though it's just reality.

The villain will be whoever he needs to be, to maximize box office potential. Gary Mitchell fits the Darkness taglne well, and his story is nice and simple, ready made to be told within the constraints of a two hour movie, and it's different from the vengeance plotline of the last movie, which they won't want to repeat.

Darvin is an iffier fit - like Khan, there would be too much backstory to explain (why does he look human? What are the Feds and Klingons fighting about?) But he does fit in with the earlier efforts to cast a Hispanic actor in the role, which would fit Khan or Darvin but not Mitchell (although it could have been a PC attempt to bring a bit more diversity into a heavily white male cast or beef up box office in Latin America.)
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 11:43 PM   #28
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Why would anyone in their right minds let comics drive the movies anyway?
What do you mean by that? And correct me if ia m wrong but wasn't Countdown a prequel to the movie. i don't see the big deal.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 10:28 AM   #29
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Why would anyone in their right minds let comics drive the movies anyway? The money to be made from movies is vastly greater. The success of the franchise depends on the next movie being a hit. The comics can be a big hit by comics standards, but that money is piddly by comparison and won't get more movies or a TV series greenlit.
The comics don't lead anything. They merely have co-writer Bob Orci from Bad Robot giving his input, and telling them what ground they aren't allowed to cover (i.e. "Space Seed" is conspicuous by it's absence among the TOS adaptations) as well as providing a few clues to the next movie in the stories (i.e. Cupcake, returning in thr next film, has been named Mr. Hendorf - presumably Orci told them to call him that) The story for the next movie was already set and the script being written when Star Trek Ongoing began.
Old September 16 2012, 02:38 AM   #30
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
The story for the next movie was already set and the script being written when Star Trek Ongoing began.
Considering that they probably began work on the comic in late-2010, I doubt they had the story already set.

If it was set, the misdirection provided by it would be something I wouldn't put past Abrams and Company.