Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 10 2012, 04:53 AM   #91
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: Star Trek 2 Has A New Title?

Lord Garth, FOI wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Star-Hawk wrote: View Post

First I've heard of this. Do you have a link?
I'm curious for a link, too.
Sorry brothers, no link
Saw it over at ain't it cool I believe after Latino review first confirmed it was khan. If you search trek over there maybe you can find it. Was reported by the guy there who first reported the destruction of Vulcan rumors
Maybe you're remembering this? In which:
Hercules @ AICN wrote:
Not a rehash of “Space Seed”?

A digression of pure speculation: What if Old Spock Prime dispatched a heavily armed crew to where he knew the Botany Bay would be drifting? What if Khan and his crew were (likely against Old Spock's protests) quickly caged and “broken” and repurposed into Starfleet Team Six, the Federation’s most deadly secret weapon? And what if this “tamed” Khan, with his genetically-engineered superior intelligence, has spent years biding his time as Starfleet puts more and more of its trust in him? End digression.
And also:
Hercules @ AICN wrote:
Another speculative digression occurs! What if the Klingons are utilized early on to demonstrate how badass Khan’s Starfleet Team Six is? (Recall a similar strategy was once employed to demonstrate how badass V’ger was.) Will we finally get to see a Khan-Klingon throwdown?
Old September 10 2012, 05:07 AM   #92
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
getting tired of this "all movies have to be dark and gritty" fad
There is no such fad. It doesn't exist.

How easy would it be for me to just list an extremely long list of recent movies that are not dark at all?
Old September 10 2012, 06:25 AM   #93
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Lord Garth, FOI wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post

I'm curious for a link, too.
Sorry brothers, no link
Saw it over at ain't it cool I believe after Latino review first confirmed it was khan. If you search trek over there maybe you can find it. Was reported by the guy there who first reported the destruction of Vulcan rumors
Maybe you're remembering this? In which:
Hercules @ AICN wrote:
Not a rehash of “Space Seed”?

A digression of pure speculation: What if Old Spock Prime dispatched a heavily armed crew to where he knew the Botany Bay would be drifting? What if Khan and his crew were (likely against Old Spock's protests) quickly caged and “broken” and repurposed into Starfleet Team Six, the Federation’s most deadly secret weapon? And what if this “tamed” Khan, with his genetically-engineered superior intelligence, has spent years biding his time as Starfleet puts more and more of its trust in him? End digression.
And also:
Hercules @ AICN wrote:
Another speculative digression occurs! What if the Klingons are utilized early on to demonstrate how badass Khan’s Starfleet Team Six is? (Recall a similar strategy was once employed to demonstrate how badass V’ger was.) Will we finally get to see a Khan-Klingon throwdown?
Well, I'll admit that the first thing I thought of, on reading Star Trek Into Darkness, was Heart of Darkness, but only for the obvious reason that "Darkness" is a word in common with the titles. I even thought about posting it, but I decided it would be too spammy to just quip about it (honest ).

So, just pure speculation then.
Old September 10 2012, 06:36 AM   #94
Mr_Homn
Captain

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Read Shakespeare much?

Only in the original Klingon.
Old September 10 2012, 06:13 PM   #95
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

After thinking about the title this weekend, I honestly can't believe people are bothered by lack of colon.

With that being said, I think the thing that bothers me about this movie is the prospect that it will be incredibly dark and not feel like Star Trek. We need a show like Star Trek that looks to a brighter future, and imploding Vulcan didn't really give me that much hope, even though it still kinda felt like Star Trek. I just don't want to see Star Trek (In any form) fall into a BSG type show where everyone is crap to each other all the time. I don't mind conflict or stuff like that, but this title leads me to believe that they will take Star Trek to such a dark place that it just won't feel like Star Trek anymore. It will be another action movie that, (in the same vain as a lot of classic BSG fans), will be STINO ("Star Trek in Name Only").

Still willing to give the film the benefit of the doubt since I liked the 2009 movie. I am still amazed they had 3 years to come up with a title and this was the best they could come up with. That's why I called it Anti-climatic.
Old September 10 2012, 06:16 PM   #96
SG-17
Commodore

I like the title. I loved XI and I am sure that I will love this one too.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 06:55 PM   #97
drmidnite66
Rear Admiral

There is no such fad. It doesn't exist.

How easy would it be for me to just list an extremely long list of recent movies that are not dark at all?
At the top of the list would have to be "The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure".

I understand that the original working title was "The Oogieloves and the Big Balloon of Terror That Rains Nothing But Death, Disease and Destruction" but at the last minute they decided not to go so dark...
Old September 10 2012, 08:28 PM   #98
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

Regarding the new title...

I like it.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 08:51 PM   #99
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Dumb title, but meaningless, except that it points towards Gary Mitchell and away from Khan, which is good news.

Dark is defnitely an entertainment fad, but there's dark and then there's dark. Nobody wants to pay $12 to get depressed a la nuBSG. Star Trek doesnt go that dark, especially not in popcorn summer movies. If it comes back to TV on Showtime, then maybe the STINO crowd will finally have a case.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 10:00 PM   #100
NrobbieC
Commander

I never found Battlestar depressive at all
NrobbieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 10:19 PM   #101
Joker
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Joker

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
We need a show like Star Trek that looks to a brighter future...
Ugh.

Fan jizz.
Old September 10 2012, 10:36 PM   #102
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I'd wager that Star Trek has already had ideas that have been darker than anything this film will show. What pops into my head are episodes like "Time to Stand," "In the Pale Moonlight," "The Mind's Eye," The Seige of AR-558" etc, as well as the ideas and stories about Section 31.

I doubt the writers would forget that Star Trek is not dark at its core
Old September 10 2012, 10:47 PM   #103
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
I'd wager that Star Trek has already had ideas that have been darker than anything this film will show. What pops into my head are episodes like "Time to Stand," "In the Pale Moonlight," "The Mind's Eye," The Seige of AR-558" etc, as well as the ideas and stories about Section 31.
Not to mention "Charlie X," "The Mantrap," "What are Little Girls Made Of," "The Enemy Within" . . . .

Heck, both of the original pilots end on tragic notes, with poor scarred Vina doomed to a life of eternal loneliness, and Kirk forced to kill his best friend.

Hell, the most famous Trek of all has Kirk letting the woman he loves get run over by a truck! And McCoy strung out on drugs for most of the episode, while living in a homeless shelter during the Great Depression . . .
Old September 10 2012, 11:37 PM   #104
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Dark is defnitely an entertainment fad, but there's dark and then there's dark. Nobody wants to pay $12 to get depressed a la nuBSG.
In this case the likes of the Nolan Batman films are a better example, as they've done well at the box office (and Pine IIRC has said in interviews they're not going the whole Batman darkness route). I think what they may be going for in STID is, I don't know, the way trilogies usually stuff the difficult stuff into the second movie - Empire Strikes Back, The Dark Knight, The Two Towers. Things get worse before they have any chance of getting better. Or the crew, now united and serious about the job, faces something that really tears at him. Given that they blew up Vulcan in the first movie I wouldn't be surprised if our heroes are really put through the wringer.

Joker wrote: View Post
Ugh.

Fan jizz.
So you watch Star Trek because?

I mean sure, maybe it's because you really like space battles or you like well characterized people being in space or... I don't know, pointed sideburns.

But Star Trek's optimism is a thing and has been a draw to the franchise for a long time. Presumably if a new Star Trek movie didn't have whatever it was exactly you considered fundamental to why you like the franchise, you wouldn't be happy.

I think Abrams did a pretty good job here, personally, in the first film. It has an upbeat, can-do attitude about it.
Old September 10 2012, 11:40 PM   #105
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Joker wrote: View Post
Ugh.

Fan jizz.
Call it what you want, but that's the way I have seen Star Trek ever since I was a fan, and anything else than that (Like going more towards the BSG attitude) will suck because it will be just like any other show.