RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,887
Posts: 5,386,576
Members: 24,713
Currently online: 552
Newest member: colton123412345

TrekToday headlines

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 10 2012, 12:27 AM   #166
gturner
Admiral
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: Bill Nye: “Creationism is not Appropriate for Children”

^ What if the simulation included a witten story claiming that 6,000 years ago the simulation had ended, even though that story was just part of the simulation and reality actually began halfway through the season 7 premier of Dr. Who?

Everything prior to that was an illusion, including the season 6 finale, the existence of Moses, Jesus, Muhammed, Martin Luther, George Washington, Ronald Reagan, and DeForest Kelley, along with Star Trek Enterprise and its time-war plotline, and of course the Star Wars prequels.

The Earth is about eight days old, which is obvious to everyone but the idiots who believe it was created on Sept 16, 1965 with the premier of season 2 of Gilligan's Island (in color), or 6,000 years ago with the first airing of a Satan's Succulent Fruit commercial.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 08:31 PM   #167
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral
 
Crazy Eddie's Avatar
 
Location: I'm in your ___, ___ing your ___
Re: Bill Nye: “Creationism is not Appropriate for Children”

gturner wrote: View Post
^ What if the simulation included a witten story claiming that 6,000 years ago the simulation had ended, even though that story was just part of the simulation and reality actually began halfway through the season 7 premier of Dr. Who?
I worked it out a while ago and I am now 100% convinced that not only does God exist, but that he is also a Timelord. Specifically, he is the only one of the Timelords who is capable of crossing his own timeline.

Think of the evidences:
- Nobody knows God's real name, and the ones who KNEW his name weren't allowed to say it.
- God is really bad at keeping track of time (a day to him is a 1000 years to anyone else).
- God is occasionally vengeful and rage-filled, other times lighthearted and benign.
- He occasionally travels with a companion (Adam and Eve, Abraham at times, Daniel, various angels).
- He was killed once by being nailed to a tree (screwdriver doesn't work on wood) but later regenerated.
- His house contains "many mansions" (Bigger on the inside)
- He's known to disappear for long stretches of time, leaving no trace of himself, until he suddenly shows up out of the blue and turns everyone's life completely upside down.
- He believes that some events are destined to happen and it's best not to dwell on these sorts of things if you can't help them.
- Since he can cross his own timeline, there's a bit of predestination where, on a trip to jerusalem during his third regeneration he accidentally knocks up a girl named Mary who turns out to be his mother. Think about it: if Jesus is God, and Jesus is also the SON of God, then it follows that Jesus is also the FATHER of God since they're the same person. Which is a tad creepy, but stranger things have happened when Timelords are involved.

Most importantly, there's a pattern in Christian theology that God appears to be both the cause and solution to all of the world's problems. At Sodom and Gomorrah he is seen warning Lot and his family that the city is going to be destroyed and looking for any excuse to save the city if he can just find enough decent people; he can't, so the city is destroyed anyway. A similar thing happens in Ninevah when God is hanging out with Daniel (after he gets eaten by a whale), and this time Daniel manages to save the city. And the entire "Jesus Messiah" narrative hinges on the concept that the wrath of God must be appeased by blood, in which case God sacrificed himself TO himself to appease his own wrath. All of which kind of reminds me of the Fires of Pompeii, or -- in way -- the accidental smiting of the Sycorax.

So why did Jesus really have to die? My guess is the Daleks found out about this walking space-time inversion of a Timelord that somehow manage to beget himself and correctly interpreted this as a serious threat to their existence, not least of which because of all that spiritually uplifting crap Jesus had been spewing for years about "love your enemy" and so on; it's antithetical to everything the Daleks hold sacred. So they were all set to glass the entire planet, until Jesus figured out what they were up to and arranged to have the Romans and the Jews kill him in a public spectacle. The Daleks went home, Jesus regenerated and hitched a ride with his older self in a TARDIS named "Holy Spirit" whose chameleon circuit consistently disguises it as a portapotty.

Cue music.
__________________
The Complete Illustrated Guide to Starfleet - Online Now!
Crazy Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 12:50 AM   #168
gturner
Admiral
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: Bill Nye: “Creationism is not Appropriate for Children”

^ That was really well thought out. I wonder if it was like the time he let River Song kill him in Lake Meade?
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 12:51 PM   #169
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Bill Nye: “Creationism is not Appropriate for Children”

There's that woman that claimed a 3D movie got her pregnant because she cheated on her guy who was gone for several months, and he bought it.

That's the way Mary did it with poor Joseph. He was just a simple minded carpenter after all. He totally believed that she got pregnant without anyone shagging her.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 01:42 PM   #170
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: A broken roof
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Bill Nye: “Creationism is not Appropriate for Children”

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
There's that woman that claimed a 3D movie got her pregnant because she cheated on her guy who was gone for several months, and he bought it.

That's the way Mary did it with poor Joseph. He was just a simple minded carpenter after all. He totally believed that she got pregnant without anyone shagging her.
She could've just used the old "I sat on a dirty public toilet seat" excuse.
__________________
It's all false love and affection
The Journeyman - Buy it now! Maybe?
My world simulation project!
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 01:16 PM   #171
Mars
Captain
 
Re: Bill Nye: “Creationism is not Appropriate for Children”

newtype_alpha wrote: View Post
gturner wrote: View Post
^ What if the simulation included a witten story claiming that 6,000 years ago the simulation had ended, even though that story was just part of the simulation and reality actually began halfway through the season 7 premier of Dr. Who?
I worked it out a while ago and I am now 100% convinced that not only does God exist, but that he is also a Timelord. Specifically, he is the only one of the Timelords who is capable of crossing his own timeline.

Think of the evidences:
- Nobody knows God's real name, and the ones who KNEW his name weren't allowed to say it.
- God is really bad at keeping track of time (a day to him is a 1000 years to anyone else).
- God is occasionally vengeful and rage-filled, other times lighthearted and benign.
- He occasionally travels with a companion (Adam and Eve, Abraham at times, Daniel, various angels).
- He was killed once by being nailed to a tree (screwdriver doesn't work on wood) but later regenerated.
- His house contains "many mansions" (Bigger on the inside)
- He's known to disappear for long stretches of time, leaving no trace of himself, until he suddenly shows up out of the blue and turns everyone's life completely upside down.
- He believes that some events are destined to happen and it's best not to dwell on these sorts of things if you can't help them.
- Since he can cross his own timeline, there's a bit of predestination where, on a trip to jerusalem during his third regeneration he accidentally knocks up a girl named Mary who turns out to be his mother. Think about it: if Jesus is God, and Jesus is also the SON of God, then it follows that Jesus is also the FATHER of God since they're the same person. Which is a tad creepy, but stranger things have happened when Timelords are involved.

Most importantly, there's a pattern in Christian theology that God appears to be both the cause and solution to all of the world's problems. At Sodom and Gomorrah he is seen warning Lot and his family that the city is going to be destroyed and looking for any excuse to save the city if he can just find enough decent people; he can't, so the city is destroyed anyway. A similar thing happens in Ninevah when God is hanging out with Daniel (after he gets eaten by a whale), and this time Daniel manages to save the city. And the entire "Jesus Messiah" narrative hinges on the concept that the wrath of God must be appeased by blood, in which case God sacrificed himself TO himself to appease his own wrath. All of which kind of reminds me of the Fires of Pompeii, or -- in way -- the accidental smiting of the Sycorax.

So why did Jesus really have to die? My guess is the Daleks found out about this walking space-time inversion of a Timelord that somehow manage to beget himself and correctly interpreted this as a serious threat to their existence, not least of which because of all that spiritually uplifting crap Jesus had been spewing for years about "love your enemy" and so on; it's antithetical to everything the Daleks hold sacred. So they were all set to glass the entire planet, until Jesus figured out what they were up to and arranged to have the Romans and the Jews kill him in a public spectacle. The Daleks went home, Jesus regenerated and hitched a ride with his older self in a TARDIS named "Holy Spirit" whose chameleon circuit consistently disguises it as a portapotty.

Cue music.
I'm sure the Christians here would appreciate your comparing Dr Who, a fictional character to Jesus. Just the same, I would prefer that Jesus would not appear in a Doctor Who episode, even if his Tardis can travel to the year 30 AD.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 04:38 AM   #172
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral
 
Crazy Eddie's Avatar
 
Location: I'm in your ___, ___ing your ___
Re: Bill Nye: “Creationism is not Appropriate for Children”

Jesus' Tardis can travel far beyond 30 AD, I think. Keep in mind, disguising it as a portapotty means it won't look out of place at the kinds of places Jesus usually hangs out, e.g. construction sites or home renovation projects (being a carpenter and all).

You should seriously think about this the next time you see a random portapotty some place that doesn't seem to have any reason to be there. Look upon that portapotty and know that the Lord is near.
__________________
The Complete Illustrated Guide to Starfleet - Online Now!
Crazy Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 07:32 PM   #173
Mars
Captain
 
Re: Bill Nye: “Creationism is not Appropriate for Children”

I'm sure the good doctor doesn't want anybody urinating in his Tardis, so it will remain as a Police box, as people don't mess with a police box.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 08:39 PM   #174
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral
 
Crazy Eddie's Avatar
 
Location: I'm in your ___, ___ing your ___
Re: Bill Nye: “Creationism is not Appropriate for Children”

Mars wrote: View Post
I'm sure the good doctor doesn't want anybody urinating in his Tardis, so it will remain as a Police box, as people don't mess with a police box.
I doubt Jesus has ever met the doctor. Or the Master, for that matter. Last time I heard, he was calling himself the Father and the Son in the Holy Spirit (Christians say and the holy spirit, but that's almost certainly a typo).

Besdies, the portapotty TARDIS always appears to be occupied. I think even the Catholics realize this. The priests' confession booth is probably in honor of the Lord's daring escape.
__________________
The Complete Illustrated Guide to Starfleet - Online Now!
Crazy Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 09:41 PM   #175
publiusr
Commodore
 
Re: Bill Nye: “Creationism is not Appropriate for Children”

It looks like things are getting worse
http://io9.com/5949370/georgia-repub...he-pit-of-hell

Two things that make this sadder: Broun is a physician, with an M.S. in chemistry

http://gizmodo.com/5948833/scientist...science-report
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 06:10 AM   #176
PurpleBuddha
Rear Admiral
 
PurpleBuddha's Avatar
 
Re: Bill Nye: “Creationism is not Appropriate for Children”

Mars wrote: View Post
I'm sure the Christians here would appreciate your comparing Dr Who, a fictional character to Jesus. Just the same, I would prefer that Jesus would not appear in a Doctor Who episode, even if his Tardis can travel to the year 30 AD.
Why just Christians? I think it is insulting to the doctor to say he might have made so many questionable choices.
PurpleBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 09:09 AM   #177
scotpens
Vice Admiral
 
scotpens's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Bill Nye: “Creationism is not Appropriate for Children”

Mars wrote: View Post
What if it all was a simulation? if that was so, the Earth as we know it could be created in 6 days or less, depending on what software you had initially to create it with, the simulation could include such things as an imaginary past with dinosaur fossils, stars in the sky and more whenever people look further with a larger telescope, when looking through a microscope, appropriate things are created to be seen by the simulated human eye that is consistent with the world as we know know it.
The whole thing could be a simulation in my mind. In that case, you don't exist.
__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 09:48 AM   #178
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Bill Nye: “Creationism is not Appropriate for Children”

publiusr wrote: View Post
It looks like things are getting worse
http://io9.com/5949370/georgia-repub...he-pit-of-hell

Two things that make this sadder: Broun is a physician, with an M.S. in chemistry

http://gizmodo.com/5948833/scientist...science-report
Wow, that is truly sad. The Gizmodo article is BS, though.
__________________
Visit us at Brony Kingdom!
You will never find a more precious hive of love and humility.
---------
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 09:53 AM   #179
Deckerd
Fleet Arse
 
Deckerd's Avatar
 
Location: the Frozen Wastes
Re: Bill Nye: “Creationism is not Appropriate for Children”

Well the second one is an anti-knowledge rant presumably written to appeal to ignoramuses too lazy to go out and learn.

The first one is a classic breakdown and should not be paraded in public.
__________________
They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance.
Deckerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 05:48 PM   #180
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral
 
Crazy Eddie's Avatar
 
Location: I'm in your ___, ___ing your ___
Re: Bill Nye: “Creationism is not Appropriate for Children”

PurpleBuddha wrote: View Post
Mars wrote: View Post
I'm sure the Christians here would appreciate your comparing Dr Who, a fictional character to Jesus. Just the same, I would prefer that Jesus would not appear in a Doctor Who episode, even if his Tardis can travel to the year 30 AD.
Why just Christians? I think it is insulting to the doctor to say he might have made so many questionable choices.
For that very reason, I expect the Doctor doesn't care much for Jesus (or his father). It might explain why such incredibly weird things always happen around Christmas.
__________________
The Complete Illustrated Guide to Starfleet - Online Now!
Crazy Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.