RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,162
Posts: 5,434,835
Members: 24,937
Currently online: 560
Newest member: bryanb2014

TrekToday headlines

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 10 2012, 06:07 PM   #31
Mr. Spook
Rear Admiral
 
Mr. Spook's Avatar
 
Location: ssosmcin
Re: Gaping Hole of Troiyus

Whether or not they were called replicators, the simple fact is they were only shown to provide food, nothing else. Sure, in Catspaw, we were told the Enterprise could create gemstones, but we were never told how or how long that would take. There was no indication they would come from the wall slots. Scotty called them "Food synthesizers" in Tribbles, yes? I was always of the mind they weren't creating food as much as delivering it. There were too many references to "the galley." I envisioned people making food and storing it. Then when you placed your order in the slot, it was beamed in or something. The food slots seemed a tad too magical for me sometimes.

If you want to put TNG era names on it, then call it the Food Replicator, because they were never shown to create anything else (food includes drinks, by the way).

No gaping hole in that regard, sorry.
__________________
"Tranya is people!"
Mr. Spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 06:15 PM   #32
Mr. Spook
Rear Admiral
 
Mr. Spook's Avatar
 
Location: ssosmcin
Re: Gaping Hole of Troiyus


Wingsley wrote: View Post
^ That merely suggests that replicator technology became available years after TOS.
Actually, that merely suggets a lighted shelf where Kirk kept his dirty dishes. Maybe the yeoman didn't come by and pick it up yet. How long were they sitting there? The ship only just left space dock, Kirk didn't have time to scarf down a full meal. Was that breakfast before the meeting? If that was a replicator, why didn't he hit the button and get rid of the dishes? Is he that lazy he can't hit a button? Honestly, his quarters looked like they stank.

Odds are it's a food synthesizer, only they don't have the sliding doors anymore. Considering there IS a galley with cooks in this movie.
__________________
"Tranya is people!"
Mr. Spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 06:33 PM   #33
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral
 
Geoff Peterson's Avatar
 
Location: 20 feet from an outlet
Re: Gaping Hole of Troiyus

Why would the delivery system be called a synthesizer?
__________________
Nerys Myk
Geoff Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 06:40 PM   #34
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Gaping Hole of Troiyus

Also what something is called can mean something rather different than what that name meant at an earlier time.

A ship's galley as we understand it today could be quite different in the far future where advanced automation and nanotech is involved. Today you need a complete staff to man a galley and feed hundreds or thousands of crewman. In the 23rd century maybe you only need one guy monitoring the whole operation including programming. With a sophisticated system maybe all the one (or few) individual(s) need to be primarily responsible for is making certain the right raw materials are available and in place.

And "manufacturing" can mean more than just assembling parts. Today we already take raw materials and convert them into parts to be assembled into something else. Nanotech and/or replication can simply be refining and broadening the term.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 06:50 PM   #35
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral
 
Geoff Peterson's Avatar
 
Location: 20 feet from an outlet
Re: Gaping Hole of Troiyus

In Charlie X Kirk tells Charlie: On Earth today, it's Thanksgiving. If the crew has to eat synthetic meat loaf, I want it to look like turkey. Charlie.
__________________
Nerys Myk
Geoff Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 06:53 PM   #36
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Gaping Hole of Troiyus

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
In Charlie X Kirk tells Charlie: On Earth today, it's Thanksgiving. If the crew has to eat synthetic meat loaf, I want it to look like turkey. Charlie.
Yeah, it's still food even if not literally made from genuine turkey meat.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 06:54 PM   #37
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Gaping Hole of Troiyus

Indysolo wrote: View Post
Stop talking about Elaan's gaping hole!

Neil
__________________
"You are the product. You feeling something. That's what sells. Not them. Not sex. They can't do what we do and they hate us for it."
--Don Draper
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 07:09 PM   #38
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Gaping Hole of Troiyus

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Indysolo wrote: View Post
Stop talking about Elaan's gaping hole!

Neil
Well, did you note the size of her guards? And we also saw she could really chow down.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 07:11 PM   #39
Mr. Spook
Rear Admiral
 
Mr. Spook's Avatar
 
Location: ssosmcin
Re: Gaping Hole of Troiyus

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Why would the delivery system be called a synthesizer?
Because Scotty is a drunk and was confined to quarters when everything was going down. He was reading his tech journals and was a little deep in his cups when called to figure out the problem (hey this could work for Tribbles or any episode or movie really).

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

[pause]

Maybe it sythesized frozen food, like a Space Age Automat. You really wanted to eat the good stuff from Cookie in the galley, but you only had time for a Hot Pocket.

Well, okay, fine, even of they could replicate food, it was still never anything beyond that. It's still not a plot hole in Elaan of Troyius.

The scene in Trek 6 could still have just been the lit shelf Kirk dumped his filthy dishes. Could have been the sonic dishwasher for all we knew.
__________________
"Tranya is people!"
Mr. Spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 07:12 PM   #40
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Gaping Hole of Troiyus

Warped9 wrote: View Post
doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Indysolo wrote: View Post
Stop talking about Elaan's gaping hole!

Neil
Well, did you note the size of her guards? And we also saw she could really chow down.
Your mastery of subtlety never ceases to amaze me.
__________________
"You are the product. You feeling something. That's what sells. Not them. Not sex. They can't do what we do and they hate us for it."
--Don Draper
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 07:19 PM   #41
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: Gaping Hole of Troiyus

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
It's been stated several times that Dilithium cannot be replicated, only mined, as of the 2380's novelverse this is still the case.
Actually one of the A Time To novels mentioned synthetic dilithium.

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
I wrote a short 'evolution of warp technology' article a couple of years ago taking the "Lithium" line literally to mean nano-tube lithium "crystals" manufactured on the atomic level as an experimental subsitute to Dilithium that could also be machined on-ship if necessary but never worked out.
Except they still need to stop for lithium crystals back then as well.

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Also what something is called can mean something rather different than what that name meant at an earlier time.

A ship's galley as we understand it today could be quite different in the far future where advanced automation and nanotech is involved. Today you need a complete staff to man a galley and feed hundreds or thousands of crewman. In the 23rd century maybe you only need one guy monitoring the whole operation including programming. With a sophisticated system maybe all the one (or few) individual(s) need to be primarily responsible for is making certain the right raw materials are available and in place.
Except in TUC they still had a number of people cooking stuff in the galley in fact someone was making what looked like mashed potatoes in the pot Valeris vaporized.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 07:31 PM   #42
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: Gaping Hole of Troiyus

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
but never worked out.
Except they still need to stop for lithium crystals back then as well.
Bolding this time.
__________________
"But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake."
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 08:20 PM   #43
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Gaping Hole of Troiyus

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
Also what something is called can mean something rather different than what that name meant at an earlier time.

A ship's galley as we understand it today could be quite different in the far future where advanced automation and nanotech is involved. Today you need a complete staff to man a galley and feed hundreds or thousands of crewman. In the 23rd century maybe you only need one guy monitoring the whole operation including programming. With a sophisticated system maybe all the one (or few) individual(s) need to be primarily responsible for is making certain the right raw materials are available and in place.
Except in TUC they still had a number of people cooking stuff in the galley in fact someone was making what looked like mashed potatoes in the pot Valeris vaporized.
They got so much wrong in the films I wouldn't take that too seriously. Besides in TMOST it's said that there is a place aboard where individuals can still prepare food by hand if they wish. That's probably what we saw.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 08:25 PM   #44
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Gaping Hole of Troiyus

Some materials cannot be replicated. Latinum and dilithium are some examples.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 08:29 PM   #45
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Gaping Hole of Troiyus

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Some materials cannot be replicated. Latinum and dilithium are some examples.
I don't have a problem with that otherwise you'd have an inexhaustible power source.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.