RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,688
Posts: 5,213,223
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 914
Newest member: Stevie Trek


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 10 2012, 05:20 AM   #91
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: I want Data back...

NrobbieC wrote: View Post
Yeah it is haha. I didn't know that, then what is the opposite of disabled?
Able-bodied.
Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Indeed. And disliking political correctness DOESN'T mean you're a bigot or an jerk...
Which is fine, as long as you're not being offensive. Just because you don't care, doesn't mean who you're talking to or about won't be offended by what you say. I've never been officially declared disabled, but I have struggled with medical problems for most of my life, so I tend to be very sympathetic to what disabled people go through and I take this stuff quite seriously.
__________________
Over the course of many encounters and many years, I have successfully developed a standard operating procedure for dealing with big, nasty monsters. Run away. Me and Monty Python.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)

Last edited by JD; September 10 2012 at 05:39 AM.
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 06:28 AM   #92
Saul
Rear Admiral
 
Saul's Avatar
 
Location: 東京
Re: I want Data back...

Regardless of the moral and fan boy arguments it did seem to me that TWOK inspired 'Nemesis' was leaving the door open for Data to return if there was another sequel. Anyone disagree with that? Some cast and crew interviews suggest that also.
__________________
"It's not that you can see the strings, it's that 40 years later you're still looking at them." - Steven Moffat
"This movie was big. Imagine how big it could have been with me in it?" William Shatner
Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 06:32 AM   #93
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: I want Data back...

I think it's pretty clear that was the intent. But we don't know for a fact they would have completely wiped B4 out to bring back Data. And even if that was the intent, it doesn't mean it was right or that the books should be required to find it.
EDIT: The more that I think about it, we can't even be sure that they would have brought back Data. The only reason to really bring him back would be to keep Brent Spiner around, but with B4 they already had a character for him. I'm sure they could have found ways to work B4 into a story.
__________________
Over the course of many encounters and many years, I have successfully developed a standard operating procedure for dealing with big, nasty monsters. Run away. Me and Monty Python.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 01:14 PM   #94
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: I want Data back...

NrobbieC wrote: View Post
That and the Commander Madden and seat belts
Arex and Gabler had seatbelts almost a century earlier:


Seatbelts by Therin of Andor, on Flickr
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 03:09 PM   #95
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: I want Data back...

Saul wrote: View Post
Regardless of the moral and fan boy arguments it did seem to me that TWOK inspired 'Nemesis' was leaving the door open for Data to return if there was another sequel. Anyone disagree with that? Some cast and crew interviews suggest that also.
Yes and no. The thing to remember is that there are different people and groups involved in making a movie, and so there can be more than one intent or purpose shaping its content. It was the studio's intent to include a back door so they could bring back Data if the movie was a hit and audiences clamored for Spiner's return. But that wasn't the intent of the people who came up with the story and script. Spiner wanted to kill off Data because he was getting too old to plausibly continue the role. His intention and his collaborators' intention was that it would be the end for Data, period. Within the context of the film as written, B-4's little song at the end is just Data's legacy, a ray of hope that B-4 can learn and grow after all thanks to what Data left him. Of course it has the secondary, backup purpose of being a potential back door for returning Data if that became an option. But that was a contingency plan, not the primary purpose of the plot development.

You see this a lot in fiction, especially collaborative fiction. A story is told with a certain primary goal in mind, but with just a bit of a hedge thrown in just in case future creators or changing circumstances lead to a change of goals. That doesn't mean, however, that the hedge represents the creators' original or primary intent. It's just a backup plan.

For instance, in DTI: Watching the Clock, I established a lot about the future of the Federation -- but I made sure to include a line hinting that maybe the future glimpsed there isn't the future, that there's a chance the whole thing could've been changed. That doesn't mean I intended that whole future to be non-binding; it just means that, whatever my own intentions, I recognize that I'm not the one in charge of the franchise and I have to leave some wiggle room in case other creators decided to take the continuity in an incompatible direction. If you're part of a collaborative creation, it's just good sense to leave in that kind of wiggle room -- not because you want or intend your decisions to be undone, but because you're aware that someone else may decide to undo them.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 1/21/14 including non-spoiler discussion for Rise of the Federation Book 2

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 04:13 PM   #96
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: I want Data back...

For whatever it's worth, Brent Spiner mentioned that in his "Justice League of Trek" Nemesis sequel, Data would have been saved via time travel, beamed off the Scimitar a split-second before it was destroyed.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 08:15 PM   #97
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: I want Data back...

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
For whatever it's worth, Brent Spiner mentioned that in his "Justice League of Trek" Nemesis sequel, Data would have been saved via time travel, beamed off the Scimitar a split-second before it was destroyed.
Good thing they didn't do a sequel then.


Nemesis is an alternate timeline movie that can be safely ignored anyway.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.