Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 10 2012, 05:50 AM   #91
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Another "Wonder Woman" show now in early development

Mars wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post

That's Thor's gimmick.
...and Storm's.
But Thor was the son of Odin, not Zeus, and Storm was a mutant, not a Demigod at all, while Thor was a full god. Probably Wonder Woman could attend Camp Half-Blood in the Percy Jackson novels. Another character in those novels could fly by controlling the winds and getting them to blow him around. Some versions of Wonder Woman can fly, so I wonder if this one does, or does she have an invisible plane? Wonder Woman would also have to be part Jedi to use those bracelets to deflect bullets.
Or be gifted with the speed of Mercury/Hermes. Oh wait, she was!!!!
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 06:08 AM   #92
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

So basically NOW Wonder Woman is a Demigod, much like Hercules and Percy Jackson in the Percy Jackson novels. In Percy Jackson novels, Demigods are mortal, they age, but they gain powers from their godly parent, in Wonder Woman's case those powers would include the strength of Hercules, since Zeus is the god of the sky, she might have the power of flight or she might not, I don't think she can cast lightning bolts.
Dream wrote: View Post

That's Thor's gimmick.
...and Storm's.
But Thor was the son of Odin, not Zeus, and Storm was a mutant, not a Demigod at all, while Thor was a full god.
This reads as if you're arguing with yourself. No one has suggested she can cast lightning.

Some versions of Wonder Woman can fly, so I wonder if this one does, or does she have an invisible plane?
A plane? What are the odds she even has a driver's licence?

Probably Wonder Woman could attend Camp Half-Blood in the Percy Jackson novels.
Wonder Woman would also have to be part Jedi to use those bracelets to deflect bullets.
Reality check, please.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 07:02 AM   #93
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Wonder Woman can fly as fast as Superman.

If she can crack mach 10 and still dodge pigeon strikes, then bullets should be no problem.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 11:40 AM   #94
Mars
Captain

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
...and Storm's.
But Thor was the son of Odin, not Zeus, and Storm was a mutant, not a Demigod at all, while Thor was a full god. Probably Wonder Woman could attend Camp Half-Blood in the Percy Jackson novels. Another character in those novels could fly by controlling the winds and getting them to blow him around. Some versions of Wonder Woman can fly, so I wonder if this one does, or does she have an invisible plane? Wonder Woman would also have to be part Jedi to use those bracelets to deflect bullets.
Speed usually comes with strength, you need strong leg muscles to run really fast. Superman can go fast because he's strong. Separating the two abilities doesn't really make sense, for instance the Flash is fast but not strong.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 11:43 AM   #95
Mars
Captain

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Wonder Woman can fly as fast as Superman.

If she can crack mach 10 and still dodge pigeon strikes, then bullets should be no problem.
There is a difference between speed and agility. Speed is the ability to move very fast in a straight line. One can move really fast, yet not see the bullets coming, fighter pilots are like that, they can break the speed of sound in their airplanes, yet their reflexes are no faster.
Old September 10 2012, 11:50 AM   #96
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

Wonder Woman is a HELL of a lot more agile than Superman...

quick example... bullets and bracelets... she's fast and agile enough to move her wrists in front of oncoming bullets, to recochet them away on an angle of her choosing...

And can snatch arrows out of the air... proving her dexterity and agility are far above normal human levels...

While she may look in her mid to late twenties, don't forget she's an immortal... having lived on Thymyscria for centuries, perhaps millenia, training as an amazon warrior in battle and mind

M
Old September 10 2012, 04:05 PM   #97
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post

Speed usually comes with strength, you need strong leg muscles to run really fast. Superman can go fast because he's strong. Separating the two abilities doesn't really make sense, for instance the Flash is fast but not strong.
Wonder Woman is strong and fast. She's probably as strong and fast as Superman. Both are gifts from the Gods in her case. Superman is strong because he's a Kryptonian living on Earth. On Krypton his strength might be average.

The Flash is probably stronger than most humans, but his speed is also related to changes is his physiology. His has control over every atom in his body. Even in the real world, a runner is going be different than a weightlifter.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old September 10 2012, 04:10 PM   #98
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Methos wrote: View Post
Wonder Woman is a HELL of a lot more agile than Superman...

quick example... bullets and bracelets... she's fast and agile enough to move her wrists in front of oncoming bullets, to recochet them away on an angle of her choosing...

And can snatch arrows out of the air... proving her dexterity and agility are far above normal human levels...

While she may look in her mid to late twenties, don't forget she's an immortal... having lived on Thymyscria for centuries, perhaps millenia, training as an amazon warrior in battle and mind

M
True, but I've had my doubts about her being centuries old. I don't recall any indication that she was "born" more than a couple of decades age. She's definitely trained almost since birth as a warrior though.
Old September 10 2012, 04:22 PM   #99
Methos

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

Well i suppose it depends which origin story we go with...

I normally stick to the 'forged by clay' storyline, as that's the one i know readily enough... but the new Wonder Woman comics say that Hyppolyta had an affair with Zeus before the God's left earth, and their affair led to Diana's conception. The truth of her divinity was kept secret in order to protect Diana from the wrath of Hera, whose jealousy was notorious...

So modern storylines put Wonder Woman at about 1800 give or take... given the 'Gods' left Earth somewhere between 200 and 400ad according to DC's timeline...

M
Old September 10 2012, 04:28 PM   #100
Relayer1
Commodore

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
The dark Knight is the worst movie I've ever seen, but I agree with your point. To me, DC's last great superhero movie was Batman with Keaton/Nicholson.
Nope - just can't see this and can't let it go, so sorry for dragging the thread back,but...

TDK was easily the best of the Nolan trilogy and by a long way DC's best film so far. The old Keaton Batmans were so-so at best...
Old September 10 2012, 06:41 PM   #101
Mars
Captain

Well i suppose it depends which origin story we go with...

I normally stick to the 'forged by clay' storyline, as that's the one i know readily enough... but the new Wonder Woman comics say that Hyppolyta had an affair with Zeus before the God's left earth, and their affair led to Diana's conception. The truth of her divinity was kept secret in order to protect Diana from the wrath of Hera, whose jealousy was notorious...

So modern storylines put Wonder Woman at about 1800 give or take... given the 'Gods' left Earth somewhere between 200 and 400ad according to DC's timeline...

M
About the time Christianity left the Roman Empire, in such a case, Wonder Woman would then be the daughter of Jupiter, as Rome was the predominant civilization back then. Still if were talking about a young Wonder Woman it would have to be either in the late Roman Empire or the Dark Ages, so Jupiter/Zeus would have had to be fooling around more recently with Hyppolyta if Wonder Woman is to be a young girl just entering school. If she is an immortal then she'll stay a young adult as soon as she grows up and could be over a thousand years old and not look it. Another thing if Zeus/Jupiter is her father from an affair with Hyppolyta, that makes Hera/Juno her enemy in the same way it did for Hercules. Hera/Juno is famous for her jealosy and taking it out on the offspring of Zeus/Jupiter's affairs.
Old September 10 2012, 06:46 PM   #102
Methos

not sure about a lot of that, as mythology isn't my strong suit really...

I can tell you that in the comics, Hercules, or Heracles in the comics, is the mortal enemy of the Amazons... after pillaging, enslaving, and raping a lot of them... which again happened before the 'Gods' left earth apparently

M
Old September 10 2012, 07:03 PM   #103
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

There was a comic where Diana got pissed off when she found out that her mum still sided with and helped Hercules escape Amazon prison even after he had raped and killed a bunch of Amazons during a failed invasion.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 07:17 PM   #104
Methos

yeah he's popped up a few times, typically whenever Diana and Hercules meet, there's some serious property damage, and lots of insurance agencies go bankrupt lol

M
Old September 10 2012, 07:21 PM   #105
Mars
Captain

not sure about a lot of that, as mythology isn't my strong suit really...

I can tell you that in the comics, Hercules, or Heracles in the comics, is the mortal enemy of the Amazons... after pillaging, enslaving, and raping a lot of them... which again happened before the 'Gods' left earth apparently

M
And now Diana has him for a half-brother, I wonder how she feels about that.