CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old September 9 2012, 10:05 PM   #46
NrobbieC
Commander

Re: I thought Valiant was a very good episode

craig keith wrote: View Post
But what really really got to me was that watters looked like a young tom cruise ... and even before we relised he was a stim junkey prik of a capt, i wanted him to die just cus he looked like tom frikkin cruise
Best summary of that character ever.

There were too many Americans on Valiant
NrobbieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 10:06 PM   #47
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

^ It's an American show, filmed in America, written and produced by Americans. What did you expect?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 10:07 PM   #48
NrobbieC
Commander

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ It's an American show, filmed in America, written and produced by Americans. What did you expect?
I know that, I was being factitious. Though didn't they make Sirtis put on an accent because they didn't want "too many Brits on the bridge" I'm allowed to complain
NrobbieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 10:10 PM   #49
Mr_Homn
Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Ds9 wasn't full of americans, TNG enterprise wasn't full of americans, TOS wasn't full of americans. Star trek has always been diverse despite being filmed in America.

Valiant did seem pretty "un-diverse" compared to the usual. I guess if they are trying to cast arrogant cocky annoying brats, they have to make them all white americans for some reason.

Edit- Actually, the guy who was commanding the valiant was played by a canadian. But i still found it kinda funny that the crew of the cockiest brattiest punks in starfleet was comprised soley of white humans (from what I remember)

Last edited by Mr_Homn; September 9 2012 at 10:20 PM.
Mr_Homn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 11:50 PM   #50
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

Its not Meridian bad, but its bad.
Old September 9 2012, 11:58 PM   #51
Dream
Admiral

They made the Valiant crew too unlikable. It was almost like a cartoon. I think the episode would have been much better and tragic if it had only been the acting Captain that was the douchebag, while the rest of the crew was simply following orders.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 12:23 AM   #52
Mr_Homn
Captain

Dream wrote: View Post
They made the Valiant crew too unlikable. It was almost like a cartoon. I think the episode would have been much better and tragic if it had only been the acting Captain that was the douchebag, while the rest of the crew was simply following orders.
Then at the end we might find out he was a relative of this guy:

(locarno, not paris)

Old September 10 2012, 12:52 AM   #53
craig keith
Lieutenant

View craig keith's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to craig keith

Dream wrote: View Post
however if the rest of the crew wernt douchbags they should have relieved him for being unfit to command and gotten the hell outta dodge
Old September 10 2012, 04:41 AM   #54
JaxsBrokenHeart
Lieutenant

Valiant would have played better for me if they had better explored the idea of young officers like Red Squad getting commands and responsibilities far too early because the war killing off good experienced crewman. The excessive hubris and arrogance being in some ways a mask for a fanatical devotion to getting a victory for the Federation (something perhaps distinct to that generation, being the first generation of cadets raised an educated in the era of major casualties to the Borg and the Dominion) would have been more interesting to me.
JaxsBrokenHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2012, 10:17 PM   #55
MarsSpectre
Captain

Since I never saw the entire DS9 series when it first came out, I'm watching it now via streaming Netflix.

I just saw this episode today. When I saw how cocky the crew was, I figured it wasn't going to end well. As soon as I saw the "Captain" popping pills, the ending was obvious to me.

I thought at least a few of the escape pods would survive, but having only one survive which just happened to have Jake and Nog on it...well, that was a little too convenient.

They should have shaken things up a bit and have them killed off too.
MarsSpectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 02:35 AM   #56
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Well, I like the way it ended, and I think the episode worked. It's one of the series' best.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 05:59 PM   #57
grabthars hammer
Captain

While the cadets eventually got annoying and were way too arrogant/burnt-out to continue their 'mission', they did come off as capable and their plan and reasoning to take down the Dominion ship wasn't completely without merit. It just showed, like DS9 often did, that techobabble doesnt always save the day.
grabthars hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 06:17 PM   #58
MacLeod
Admiral

yes, but the orders were to gather intel on the ship and reurn it to command. Not gather data on the new battleship and attempt to take it down.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 06:35 PM   #59
grabthars hammer
Captain

MacLeod wrote: View Post
yes, but the orders were to gather intel on the ship and reurn it to command. Not gather data on the new battleship and attempt to take it down.
I didn't say they should've done what they did, it was borne out of arrogance but it wasn't just a blind attack into the complete unknown, either. Even the best starfleet officers have been known to severely misinterpret their orders.
grabthars hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 01:27 AM   #60
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

But they were supposed to be better than 21st century humans.

Starfleet officers are supposed to have better morals than the average 24th century person, to hear some Starfleet officers talk.

I got a sense of arrogant, over privileged kids that were pampered by Starfleet.

Why the the snobby attitudes? 24th century humans are supposed to be better than we are, but no matter what time periods you live in, a nasty glare is a nasty glare.

One strange or dumb thing in the episode is how they have the one Vulcan there (like they always do) and he pretty much goes along with all of it.

I would think a Vulcan would be the first one to say that the plan was illogical.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote