Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "Dinosaurs On A Spaceship"
Geronimo! 54 38.03%
Good 56 39.44%
Average 21 14.79%
Bad 6 4.23%
Dinosaurs couldn't even save this episode 5 3.52%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 9 2012, 09:25 AM   #91
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: 7X02 Dinosaurs On A Spaceship (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

15th century France on a spaceship, is still weirder than Dinosaurs on a spaceship.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 10:31 AM   #92
Starkers
Admiral

Pindar wrote: View Post
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
I'm 43 and loved the robots...
I'm 42 and a half and I also loved them.
Almost 42 and loved this episode to bits, absolute fantastic romp from start to finish, and I'm still grinning from ear to ear.

"We do not have tantrums!"

And re the Doctor killing Solomon, well firstly it was more of a Batman/Ra's "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you." and secondly as has been said, Six was way more vicious. Take the killing of Shockeye as just one example.
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 10:40 AM   #93
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

This is the kind of story that only Doctor Who can tell. I thought it was fantastic.
Old September 9 2012, 10:41 AM   #94
Ghost Bones
Captain

Well I'm 23 and thought they were fucking embarrassing.
Procutus wrote: View Post
"That is one big pile of shit."
Yes.

This had the same atmosphere as an episode of Scooby Doo; it made Red Dwarf look like serious, po-faced hard sci-fi in comparison. The Doctor's ADHD 7 year old who's had too much Robinsons act was more heightened than ever. Rory's dad make a joke about balls, and Samey Pond had an inevitable trite "Och aye, ahm worth ten men ahm so sassy, hoots mon" line. Chibnall's trying to be like Moffat trying to be like RTD. And to think some people want this contemptible hack as showrunner.

The plot was stupid to the point of retardation. The engine right, waves? How does that work? Has Chinball never heard tidal power's generated by tides which are caused by the gravitational pull of the moon? You don't just put a load of water in a fake beach and it magically generates energy. It can't be caused by the ship's own mass-derived gravity, otherwise we could use tidal energy to start piloting planet Earth around. What was the resolution, they needed two related people to pilot with the two magic chairs so the Indian army would shoot the other thing instead? Handy that Rory's dad accidentally came along. Jesus wept.

The villain was the only redeeming thing, a well-acted and interesting character who belonged in a story that couldn't have been written by a toddler. And of course, the Doctor murdered him. Never cowardly or cruel eh.
Old September 9 2012, 10:50 AM   #95
Starkers
Admiral

23 and already middle aged....
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 10:52 AM   #96
Ghost Bones
Captain

Are you talking about me and not the show again? You can't help yourself can you.
Old September 9 2012, 10:55 AM   #97
Sparky
Commodore

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
Yes.

This had the same atmosphere as an episode of Scooby Doo; it made Red Dwarf look like serious, po-faced hard sci-fi in comparison. The Doctor's ADHD 7 year old who's had too much Robinsons act was more heightened than ever. Rory's dad make a joke about balls, and Samey Pond had an inevitable trite "Och aye, ahm worth ten men ahm so sassy, hoots mon" line. Chibnall's trying to be like Moffat trying to be like RTD. And to think some people want this contemptible hack as showrunner.

The plot was stupid to the point of retardation. The engine right, waves? How does that work? Has Chinball never heard tidal power's generated by tides which are caused by the gravitational pull of the moon? You don't just put a load of water in a fake beach and it magically generates energy. It can't be caused by the ship's own mass-derived gravity, otherwise we could use tidal energy to start piloting planet Earth around. What was the resolution, they needed two related people to pilot with the two magic chairs so the Indian army would shoot the other thing instead? Handy that Rory's dad accidentally came along. Jesus wept.

The villain was the only redeeming thing, a well-acted and interesting character who belonged in a story that couldn't have been written by a toddler. And of course, the Doctor murdered him. Never cowardly or cruel eh.
Ok. I'm going to ask you. What would be your perfect Dr Who story? Story, script, characters etc. What do you want from Doctor Who?
Old September 9 2012, 10:58 AM   #98
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

So the question is, do we now add Nefertiti and Rory's dad to the official list of the Doctors companions?

There's some fanfic I'd love to see.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 11:00 AM   #99
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

Epic episode! The plot was so fast-paced at times it was hard to figure out where things were going at first but the dinosaurs were so fun it didn't matter. Loved the humor and Amy going badass on the dinos.
Old September 9 2012, 11:01 AM   #100
MacLeod
Admiral

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post

Certainly, Nefertiti was needed to advance the plot. Riddell seemed like he didn't quite add everything he could have, but he was alright.
Yeah at the end, they'd need to do something to provoke the endgame. I thought he was going after the TARDIS initially when he was speaking of the unique treasure onboard.

I wonder how the hell that database thing works anyway. It's pretty amazing if it can identify anything through the entirety of time and space.
It didn't recognize a Timelord or Gallifreyan so it doesn't know everything.
I suspect that's more down to the question which must never be answered "Doctor Who?"
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 11:03 AM   #101
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

Starkers wrote: View Post
23 and already middle aged....
Kids these days, they grow up too fast.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 11:09 AM   #102
Ghost Bones
Captain

Sparky wrote: View Post
Ghost Bones wrote: View Post

Yes.

Ok. I'm going to ask you. What would be your perfect Dr Who story? Story, script, characters etc. What do you want from Doctor Who?
Basic things like the Doctor in it and not Jar Jar Binks, and the companions not being boring post-modern deconstructionalist "och aye I'm so sassy" Buffy characters, perhaps maybe acting toward supposedly dangerous, unusual and scary situations as though they actually were those things. A good story that makes sense and doesn't hope to just get by on explosions, CGI and jokes for idiots - it doesn't have to be Kinda or Vengeance on Varos every week but some credibility and interesting ideas done well would be nice. There's nothing wrong with trying to be amusing, so long as it actually works and isn't a series of stupid one-liners. A show not made to impress idiots and that makes an effort not to include glaringly stupid things.
Old September 9 2012, 11:09 AM   #103
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

I think I'm finally coming around on Rory too! He seems much cooler this season ...
Old September 9 2012, 11:09 AM   #104
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
It didn't recognize a Timelord or Gallifreyan so it doesn't know everything.
It's just as likely that Solomon bought or stole the database from someone else, and it's of Dalek origin... afterall, aside from the Time Lord's, they are the most widely travelled race out there... so their database, especially after the Time War, would be stupidly valuable to anyone...

And since The Doctor was erased from the Dalek databases, then Solomon's scanner didn't recognise him...

works for me anyway lol

M
Old September 9 2012, 11:17 AM   #105
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

So India took over the world at some point?

Or did Pakistan take over the world at some point?

United Inidastan?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote