TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 8 2012, 07:47 PM   #16
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Re: Title Possibly Revealed?

Kegg wrote: View Post
a bit like how the Nolan films abandoned 'Batman' altogether after the first feature and replaced it with a common nickname for the character.
Supposedly that nickname was forced on the third film by the studio, so it's possible it could have had "Batman" in the title otherwise.
Old September 8 2012, 08:42 PM   #17
Paper Moon
Commander

I don't think this is the real title. Abrams and crew have been fanatical about secrecy and I doubt they would let the title slip out like this.

Also, regarding the colon: this would actually not be the first Trek film without a colon in the title. Both Generations and Nemesis officially lacked colons (see their respective MA pages).
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 10:56 PM   #18
The Wormhole
Admiral

To be honest, it's not the best title. But I don't hate it and wouldn't be opposed to it being the movie's actual title.

And yes, for once I actually am being serious.
Old September 9 2012, 12:11 AM   #19
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
You know, back in 1982, people probably complained that "The Wrath of Khan" sounded too pulpy . . .

"They're trying to turn STAR TREK into STAR WARS!"
Hell Nicholas Meyer hated that title. He wanted to call it The Undiscovered Country, as the title is a Hamlet reference to death, one of the major themes of the film. He wanted that title so bad he finally used it in his next Trek film, which required Chancellor Gorkon to give the phrase a new meaning to justify the title.

Paper Moon wrote: View Post
I don't think this is the real title. Abrams and crew have been fanatical about secrecy and I doubt they would let the title slip out like this.
The secrecy has been impressive. I remember having a clearer idea of Insurrection and Nemesis at this point in production. I think there was even a leaked screenplay for INS, but don't quote me on that.

Also, regarding the colon: this would actually not be the first Trek film without a colon in the title. Both Generations and Nemesis officially lacked colons (see their respective MA pages).
In that case it's a semantic difference. Generations and Nemesis are the actual titles of the film, as is the case with Insurrection, First Contact and so on - with Star Trek put in front as a franchise signifier. For all itnents and purposes that's just like having a colon.

While, presumably, Star Trek Into Darkness is intended to be a single phrase. A star trek into darkness - it sounds odd, yeah, but Star Trek and Nemesis are two different thoughts entirely.
Set Harth wrote: View Post
Supposedly that nickname was forced on the third film by the studio,
That may be so, but I'd be surprised if The Dark Knight as a title was forced by the stuidos... as it was the first Batman film not called Batman or Batman Something. The Batman films have been similarly suspicious of colons, though (giving rise to the frankly awkward looking Batman Begins), so there's that.
Old September 9 2012, 12:50 AM   #20
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
TrekMovie says they've confirmed it:

http://trekmovie.com/2012/09/07/excl...tle-confirmed/
At one point I think they said they had confirmed Khan as the villain plus a Nimoy appearance and then they had to take it back. I wouldn't put too much stock in their "sources" until you see something official.
I'm remembering that very thing, yes I am. It's also true, however, that TrekMovie had a reliability track record on the last movie which was hugely better than anyone else's, so I still tend to give their say-so a little more weight than most. Time will tell whether that trust is misplaced.

As an aside, just spotted this on Twitter:
@TrekMovie wrote:
Much of the debate over STAR TREK INTO
DARKNESS focuses on the lack of a colon.
#prooftrekkiesareanal
You are very kind. (And I don't see that the colon makes a difference, but...)

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
^ They did say that they wanted to avoid another title with a colon. This one sounds a little forced though, assuming it is the title.
Star Trek Into Darkness isn't a good title, and having a colon wouldn't change that, although I can sort of see what they're going for - a star trek into darkness, making the franchise name part of the title, rather than serving as basically a franchise label (leading to such incongruous names like Star Trek: Deep Space Nine).
I don't think it's the best title either because it doesn't really sound like a Star Trek title. I'm guessing that's why they had somebody preemptively come out and say "Now, we're not making a batman movie..." I guess a name's not that important, other than giving some kind of clue as to what the movie is about.

And Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was perfect. It was a Cardassian made station, so of course it wasn't going to have a name that sounded like something Starfleet would come up with initially, but they had to name it something and I think it works. I don't know what you're talking about!

EDIT: Now that I think about it, did the Bajorans name it DS9 or the Federation/Starfleet? Anyone know? I don't feel like looking it up.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 01:02 AM   #21
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

That may be so, but I'd be surprised if The Dark Knight as a title was forced by the stuidos... as it was the first Batman film not called Batman or Batman Something. The Batman films have been similarly suspicious of colons, though (giving rise to the frankly awkward looking Batman Begins), so there's that.

That was a great title. It let you know immediately that the story was starting over again, and it wasn't (thankfully) picking up where Batman and Robin horribly left off. It was simple, to the point, and gave you a good idea of what to expect (a new beginning/retelling of a classic story). There was nothing more anyone could want.

Well, they're not going to please everyone with Star Trek Into Darkness, so I guess it is what it is. It just seems vague, though.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Old September 9 2012, 01:17 AM   #22
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

(And I don't see that the colon makes a difference, but...)
I'm honestly not inclined to worry much about it either way, at this point. But it is kind of amusing that the colon/no colon question is the subject of so much discussion in the TrekMovie comment thread.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, did the Bajorans name it DS9 or the Federation/Starfleet? Anyone know? I don't feel like looking it up.
"Deep Space Nine" was a Federation designation (I believe one or two other deep space stations get mention in dialogue, but I don't think they're ever seen.) Off the top of my head, I can't recall whether the Bajorans had their own name for the station or if they simply switched from calling it "Terok Nor" to calling it "DS9".

Edit:

Whoops, we did see Deep Space Station K-7 in "Trouble With Tribbles" and "Trials and Tribble-ations".

Last edited by M'Sharak; September 9 2012 at 01:20 AM. Reason: nae tribble with deep space stations
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 01:30 AM   #23
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

(And I don't see that the colon makes a difference, but...)
I'm honestly not inclined to worry much about it either way, at this point. But it is kind of amusing that the colon/no colon question is the subject of so much discussion in the TrekMovie comment thread.
Oh believe me, I know what their comment sections are like. I hung in there for a while. I should have known better when the first ever comment I made there was attacked because it was "too nice." That would be funny if I were joking, but I'm not. People squabbling like chickens over a grain of feed... And if you stay there long enough, they get you clucking and pecking too... I'm not trying to say anything too bad because there are a handful of nice and reasonable posters there--I'm just saying I understand how and why a simple colon would and could be the cause of the next apocalypse there. That is all.

"Deep Space Nine" was a Federation designation (I believe one or two other deep space stations get mention in dialogue, but I don't think they're ever seen.) Off the top of my head, I can't recall whether the Bajorans had their own name for the station or if they simply switched from calling it "Terok Nor" to calling it "DS9".

Edit:

Whoops, we did see Deep Space Station K-7 in "Trouble With Tribbles" and "Trials and Tribble-ations".
Cool, thank you.

Old September 9 2012, 01:33 AM   #24
Kegg
Rear Admiral

And Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was perfect.
It's a show called Star Trek.

About a space station.

It's pretty much the most obvious example in the various colon titles where the 'Star Trek' bit was just a franchise signifier.

Not that I'm wild about the actual title either. Deep Space what, exactly? I suppose calling the show Starbase Nine just sounded lame or whatever.

It was a Cardassian made station, so of course it wasn't going to have a name that sounded like something Starfleet would come up with initially,
The Cardassian name was Terok Nor. The name Deep Space Nine was the Federation's designation as other Starfleet stations with similar names have been mentioned - including Deep Space Five, which has the same model as Regula One. I believe DS5 is the only other one that's been seen, though.
Old September 9 2012, 01:57 AM   #25
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

And Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was perfect.
It's a show called Star Trek.

About a space station.

It's pretty much the most obvious example in the various colon titles where the 'Star Trek' bit was just a franchise signifier.

Not that I'm wild about the actual title either. Deep Space what, exactly? I suppose calling the show Starbase Nine just sounded lame or whatever.
Starbase Nine does sound lame as a title. I dunno, I'm sure they're called something, but when I think of a starbase, I think of a research outpost or the docking stations that the starships, like Enterprise, go to and land on in space.

Re: Star Trek about a Space station. There was enough "star trekking" that happened in the series, but by this time, I think they could afford to explore the journey within. Everything about the Federation couldn't just be fancy starships exploring. This was a great way to see what else the Federation does, and how they do it. It's also nice to see how someone becomes a captain instead of just starting out the series with a captain on a luxurious ship.

I also like the Deep Space aspect of it because it lets you know that this is far away from home into the deep, and that works on many figurative levels as well. Great title. Great show.

It was a Cardassian made station, so of course it wasn't going to have a name that sounded like something Starfleet would come up with initially,
The Cardassian name was Terok Nor. The name Deep Space Nine was the Federation's designation as other Starfleet stations with similar names have been mentioned - including Deep Space Five, which has the same model as Regula One. I believe DS5 is the only other one that's been seen, though.
Thank you. I knew that it was called Terok Nor under the Cardassians, but I forgot about the other Deep Space stations. Obviously, there would be 1-8.

Old September 9 2012, 02:16 AM   #26
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
While it's just a rumor, this is off Coming Soon:
Tomorrow, September 8th, marks the 46th anniversary of Gene Roddenberry's "Star Trek", but ComingSoon.net is celebrating a little early with a juicy rumor to share. We've been been told that the 2013 J.J. Abrams sequel has chosen a title and will hit theaters as Star Trek Into Darkness.

Although we have not yet been able to officially confirm said title, the domain names www.startrekintodarkness.com and www.startrekintodarknessmovie were both registered yesterday through Markmonitor, an anonymous domain registry service that just so happens to have been utilized by Paramount Pictures for recent URLs like their official G.I. Joe: Retaliation site.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=94526

If it's legit, I like it. It would also seem to fit with the rumors of
Or it could be about..

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 02:18 AM   #27
Procutus
Admiral

Matt S wrote: View Post
Lets be honest, as a whole, the trek community is volatile, so NO title would satisfy the masses.

That much is for certain. I'm not sure how I feel about this possible title, save for the fact it seems to go in the opposite direction of what Pine was indicating just days ago.

If I had to guess, this is a red herring. They may have a title selected and domains secured, but most likely not for this.
Old September 9 2012, 02:20 AM   #28
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek about a Space station. There was enough "star trekking" that happened in the series, but by this time, I think they could afford to explore the journey within.
Oh definitely. It's not criticism of DS9 as a series, I enjoyed the hell out of that show.

But the only reason Star Trek is in the title is because it's part of the same franchise as The Next Generation and the original show. Unlike those programs, it's not about star trekking, so that part of the title is purely a brand label.

I mean it's a bit like if there were shows called Cheers: Frasier or Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Angel.
Old September 9 2012, 03:13 AM   #29
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Well no one actually believed that Star War ep 2 was really going to be titled "Attack of the Clones" when it first leaked.
Old September 9 2012, 03:51 AM   #30
Borgminister

Bad, clunky, derivative title...
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote