MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old September 8 2012, 01:05 AM   #31
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: What's the difference between a trekkie and a trekker?

Timewalker wrote: View Post
GSnail wrote: View Post
Trekkies are fans.
Trekkers are people who are ashamed of star trek.
I'm not ashamed.
I most certainly am not ashamed of Star Trek, or the fact that I've been a fan for nearly 37 years. I call myself a Trekker because:

1. It's a more dignified word;
I absolutely do not want to ever be dignified.

2. A "trekker" is somebody who is actually doing something. A trekker is going somewhere, even if only in his/her own mind, conscience, or outlook on life. A trekker can be said to be an explorer, either in the outside world, or within his/her own consciousness.
Well I do post a lot..

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 01:07 AM   #32
Mr_Homn
Captain

i prefer star trek fan
Old September 8 2012, 01:38 AM   #33
Shanndee
Commodore

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
The other issue, of course, is that these distinctions are only meaningful to the handful of people who care about them.

Try explaining to most people that, no, you're a "Trekker," not a Trekkie, and they're just going to look at you funny . . . which, ironically, is probably the opposite of what you were going for!
Exactly! Everyone understands that a Trekkie is a fan of a show called Star Trek. If you try to use the word Trekker...not so much!

I much prefer the word Trekkie, to me it is a lot more fun!

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 01:57 AM   #34
Elder Knight
Captain

"English Sherlockians like to call themselves Holmesians; American Holmesians like to call themselves Sherlockians."

-- William S. Baring-Gould
Elder Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 03:02 AM   #35
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

RandyS wrote: View Post
The main difference is some over-senstive fans way back when got tired of being looked down upon by tactless morons with nothing better to do than make fun of sci-fi fans, so they came up with a name that sounded "less insulting".
My brother tortured me with the term Trekkie as an insult. When TNG came along, many people felt like me and coined the term Trekker. I quickly adopted the new moniker.

R. Star wrote: View Post
As far as I can tell the only tangible difference is in the last two letters. The rest is just in people's heads.
QFT!! I was called a Trekkie for years as an insult. Then I owned Trekker. Now I really don't care, because I am old enough that none of it bothers me.
Old September 8 2012, 03:31 AM   #36
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
When TNG came along, many people felt like me and coined the term Trekker.
This is incorrect.

The term trekker dates from 1970, and it is evidently due to Carol Pruitt. From Boldly Writing: A Trekker Fan & Zine History, 1967-1987, by Joan Marie Verba, page 4:
The May issue of Deck 6 [issue #8, in 1970] saw a very early distinction between the terms "trekkie" and "trekker." Carol Pruitt, the editor, said in part, "...when I start acting like a bubbleheaded trekkie (rather than a sober, dignified—albeit enthusiastic—trekker)." (Some fans think the distinction between the terms is a more recent phenomenon, but Deck 6 shows that fans were making that distinction over 30 years ago.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trekkie...ie_vs._Trekker
http://www.jessesword.com/sf/view/201
http://fanlore.org/wiki/Deck_6
Old September 8 2012, 03:34 AM   #37
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

^Where I lived, in regular America, none of us ever heard the term prior to TNG. Maybe in those big fancy cities, it was different.
Old September 8 2012, 10:48 PM   #38
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

I think the difference between trekkies and trekkers is that one of them takes themselves too seriously...but I can never remember which one that is.

Last edited by Jonas Grumby; September 9 2012 at 04:35 PM.
Jonas Grumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 12:31 AM   #39
Xhiandra
Lieutenant Commander

i'd never encountered the term "Trekker" until this thread.

So, what are the chances a non-fan would've? In light of this, I'd say "Trekkie" is word designating a fan of Star Trek, "Trekker" is a forced word intended to designate some fans of Star Trek that just didn't take.
You can keep trying to spread the distinction, but I doubt the population at large will ever care enough to accept both terms; you'll just end up looking nerdier, which seems to be what you're trying to avoid.
Xhiandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 02:57 AM   #40
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Xhiandra wrote: View Post
You can keep trying to spread the distinction, but I doubt the population at large will ever care enough to accept both terms; you'll just end up looking nerdier, which seems to be what you're trying to avoid.
Exactly. It's like trying to draw a line in the sand between "scifi" and "SF" . . . you can try all you want to get the rest of the world to recognize a distinction, but the rest of us will just keep being Trekkies and scifi fans . . . .
Old September 9 2012, 03:14 AM   #41
SimpleLogic

I thought we all decided just to be Spiner-Fems, and to forget the whole Trekkie/Trekker debackle.
Old September 9 2012, 03:52 AM   #42
Gary7
Rear Admiral

AFAIC, the "Trekkie" has always been a more juvenile distinction from "Trekker" (like a fan who just loves it, versus a fan who is more serious). But, if someone calls me either one, I don't really mind.
Old September 9 2012, 04:16 AM   #43
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

SimpleLogic wrote: View Post
I thought we all decided just to be Spiner-Fems, and to forget the whole Trekkie/Trekker debackle.

I was always boggled at the Femmes part.. but hey I guess it just evolved that way like Bronies. I'm sure there are some boy Spiner Femmes..

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 03:31 PM   #44
Forbin
Admiral

Well, I was a Trekkie in 1966, and I see no reason to change now.

Hey, aren't we supposed to all be in this thing together? All fans of the same thing? I never understood why a "branch" of that fandom wanted to separate itself from a "less desireable" branch. That is definitely NOT in the spirit of Star Trek.

So if you're calling yourself a Trekker because you think you're better than Trekkies. Got off your high horse and get a grip, pal. And if you think Trekker is more dignified sounding than Trekkie, you should also realize that 95% of the rest of the world still thinks you're a dweeb like the rest of us.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 03:49 PM   #45
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I find the whole "Trekker" thing slightly silly, but, to be fair, I have no memories or personal experiences of ever being on the receiving end of "Trekkie" as an insult.

Is this actually an issue out there in the world these days? Is "Trekkie" actually considered an insult in some quarters?

Granted, my high school years are decades in the past, but I don't remember the word "Trekkie" being thrown in my face. Nor was this ever an issue at any of the mainstream jobs I worked back in the day.