Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 6 2012, 06:23 PM   #256
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

I took a bit of a break, but today I watched

Family Ties (Farscape) - This is the final episode of season 1, and it didn't disapoint. I enjoyed this episode from beginning to end. I was kind of surprised Rygel tried to betray them, not because it was out of character but because I didn't think he'd trust the peacekeepers to keep their bargain. All the alien heads in crais's office/quarters were creepy, I didn't think he'd be the kind of guy to take the heads of sentient aliens as trophies. Speaking of Crais, he was very interesting in this episode. First he fled his ship with Rygel looking for a safe haven, then he gave some info about the baby. Him taking off with the baby near the end was something I had guessed would happen, but it was still a good moment. There were so many great moments in this episode, especially between characters. Crais/John's conversation was good, even though I wonder about Crais's sincerity. John/D'Argo near the end was also great. I liked Aeryn and the pilots conversation, and her naming the baby. I also liked John talking to Moya to get her to starburst. The cliffhanger was effective because I want to see what happens next, even if I'm sure neither of them die.

Overall, I liked the first season. It had some horrible episodes (A Human Reaction, Jeremiah Chrichton) and after Chiana was introduced the show went through a rough patch, but it picked up near the end, and I'm interested in season 2. I probably won't be able to afford Season 2 until my birthday next month, but I do really want to get it. This show has so much going for it, like its awesome characters, and its awesome overall story (even if parts of it annoy me). I still get annoyed with Chiana, but I can handle it. I'm still not super excited for Scorpius, but I think I can see some potential for him to become meorable. I'm very glad I got this season, I think this show will go down as one of my favorite SciFi shows by the time I'm done with it, although I don't think it will dethrone Star Trek, Star Wars and Firefly as one of y top 3 SciFi franchies.

I have a bunch of babylon 5 episodes left to go, so I'll be posting about them as I watch them
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 07:04 PM   #257
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Babylon 5 Crusade
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 09:57 PM   #258
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I took a bit of a break, but today I watched

Family Ties (Farscape) - This is the final episode of season 1, and it didn't disapoint. I enjoyed this episode from beginning to end. I was kind of surprised Rygel tried to betray them, not because it was out of character but because I didn't think he'd trust the peacekeepers to keep their bargain. All the alien heads in crais's office/quarters were creepy, I didn't think he'd be the kind of guy to take the heads of sentient aliens as trophies. Speaking of Crais, he was very interesting in this episode. First he fled his ship with Rygel looking for a safe haven, then he gave some info about the baby. Him taking off with the baby near the end was something I had guessed would happen, but it was still a good moment. There were so many great moments in this episode, especially between characters. Crais/John's conversation was good, even though I wonder about Crais's sincerity. John/D'Argo near the end was also great. I liked Aeryn and the pilots conversation, and her naming the baby. I also liked John talking to Moya to get her to starburst. The cliffhanger was effective because I want to see what happens next, even if I'm sure neither of them die.

Overall, I liked the first season. It had some horrible episodes (A Human Reaction, Jeremiah Chrichton) and after Chiana was introduced the show went through a rough patch, but it picked up near the end, and I'm interested in season 2. I probably won't be able to afford Season 2 until my birthday next month, but I do really want to get it. This show has so much going for it, like its awesome characters, and its awesome overall story (even if parts of it annoy me). I still get annoyed with Chiana, but I can handle it. I'm still not super excited for Scorpius, but I think I can see some potential for him to become meorable. I'm very glad I got this season, I think this show will go down as one of my favorite SciFi shows by the time I'm done with it, although I don't think it will dethrone Star Trek, Star Wars and Firefly as one of y top 3 SciFi franchies.

I have a bunch of babylon 5 episodes left to go, so I'll be posting about them as I watch them
With the whole week off, I just finished a Farscape Season 1 rewatch the other day. Then I started Season 2.

I'm not going to critique any of the episodes, I liked them all. It's more of a all encompassing experience for me.

Near the end of Family Ties, when Crichton & D'Argo are heading to destroy the Gammak Base:

Crichton - "How you doin'?"
D'Argo - "I have to pee."

FS could be kinda silly at times.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 12:41 AM   #259
JD
Admiral

Kirk55555, if you have Netflix, then you can watch all four seasons of FS on their streaming service.
Old September 7 2012, 01:58 AM   #260
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I don't have Netflix, but I just got lucky. Where I live, I use the public library a lot (its actually where I access the internet, I have no home internet). Looking through its online catalog, it turns out it has Farscape Season 2. The library system has a lot of seasons, but when I looked before buying S1, I searched for season 1 and didn't find it. The library has a bad habit of not rebuying an item once it was lost, which is what I guess happened to Season 1. I still want to get season 2 myself, but this looks like a free, and legal, way of watching it until I can afford it. I don't know when I'll get it, maybe I'll focus on finishing B%, or maybe I won't. I don't like having a time limit with seasons of shows, so even when i get the season it might take a few check outs to complete, but I'm glad I have the option.
Old September 7 2012, 07:42 PM   #261
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Grail (Babylon 5) - This was an entertaining episode. I liked the court scene in the beginning with the guy taking the alien to court for the alien's family abducting his grandfather Londo was great, like always. The grail seeker looked familiar, so I looked him up, and he was the earth hostage from Star trek V, Chancellor Gorkon in ST VI, and Gul Madred in TNG. I don't have much more else to say, except that I liked this episode.
Old September 7 2012, 08:01 PM   #262
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Grail (Babylon 5) - This was an entertaining episode. I liked the court scene in the beginning with the guy taking the alien to court for the alien's family abducting his grandfather Londo was great, like always. The grail seeker looked familiar, so I looked him up, and he was the earth hostage from Star trek V, Chancellor Gorkon in ST VI, and Gul Madred in TNG. I don't have much more else to say, except that I liked this episode.
Yea, David Warner is pretty much a SciFi/Fantasy Staple (He's got an episode of Doctor Who coming up after the first of the the year). He's even done Doctor Who Audio plays, and many, many TV episodes, Movies, Video Games, animated voice overs.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 08:10 PM   #263
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Yea, David Warner is pretty much a SciFi/Fantasy Staple (He's got an episode of Doctor Who coming up after the first of the the year). He's even done Doctor Who Audio plays, and many, many TV episodes, Movies, Video Games, animated voice overs.
Not to mention Tron, Time Bandits, and Time After Time.

Heck, he's even in Titanic!
Old September 8 2012, 12:49 AM   #264
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Eyes (Babylon 5) - Another B5 episode that shows that the future of humanity isn't pretty, in fact, government wise, it gets worse. They had a colonel who was pretty much psychotic going around interrogating people with a telepath. I hope the "loyalty brain scan" isn't wide spread. Even for Babylon 5's universe, thats pretty screwed up. I get how it would be done in investigations, and it sounds like the regulations don't allow for scans without charges (even if the colonel tried to interpret the rules that way), but the fact that such a psycho could go so far is kind of freaky (not that I should be surprised, it seems like 90% of the politicians are corrupt, and probably 75% of the military). I liked seeing Jeffrey Combs, its always cool seeing him cameo in stuff, and I liked that his character wasn't a part of the colonel's insanity, he was just doing his job and stopped the colonel when it turned out he was unstable. The motorcycle parts felt like product placement, and were kind of annoying, but not a big deal. I can't say I really liked this episode, but it wasn't a bad episode.
Old September 8 2012, 09:06 PM   #265
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Greg Cox wrote: View Post

Not to mention Tron, Time Bandits, and Time After Time.

Heck, he's even in Titanic!
Twice as a matter of fact. Before David Warner played a fictional characters in the 1997 movie, he also played real life passenger Lawrence Beasly in 1979's SOS TITANIC.

Sorry to derail the point of the thread. To get it back on track, OP: glad you saw "Eyes". That's one of my favorites of season 1.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 09:37 PM   #266
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

And a silly bit of trivia: the Colonel is played by the son of Beatles producer George Martin.
Old September 8 2012, 10:41 PM   #267
Leroy
Fleet Captain

Kirk55555 wrote:
Overall, I liked the first season. It had some horrible episodes (A Human Reaction, Jeremiah Chrichton)
Really? I thought 'A Human Reaction' was considered a fan favorite, it's also one of my top eps from the first season it's also a very important episode in regards to the shows arc without going into spoiler territory.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 10:59 PM   #268
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Yeah, I hated A Human Reaction (it was discussed on whatever page of this thread where I first talked about it). I couldn't stand the episode, and I'd say it was definately the worst episode of the season to me, with Jeremiah Crichton a close second.

I might start Farscape season 2 soon, although I may wait until finishing Babylon 5 season 1. I've decided to watch all of Farscape Season 2 except "Taking the stone". An episode focusing on a character I really dislike is bad enough, but it seems like even people who like her hate the episode, for the most part, so its definately getting skipped. Whenever I start it will probably be like last season, no rush and maybe only an episode every few days, depending on my mood.
Old September 8 2012, 11:19 PM   #269
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

Eyes (Babylon 5) - Another B5 episode that shows that the future of humanity isn't pretty, in fact, government wise, it gets worse. They had a colonel who was pretty much psychotic going around interrogating people with a telepath. I hope the "loyalty brain scan" isn't wide spread. Even for Babylon 5's universe, thats pretty screwed up. I get how it would be done in investigations, and it sounds like the regulations don't allow for scans without charges (even if the colonel tried to interpret the rules that way), but the fact that such a psycho could go so far is kind of freaky (not that I should be surprised, it seems like 90% of the politicians are corrupt, and probably 75% of the military). I liked seeing Jeffrey Combs, its always cool seeing him cameo in stuff, and I liked that his character wasn't a part of the colonel's insanity, he was just doing his job and stopped the colonel when it turned out he was unstable. The motorcycle parts felt like product placement, and were kind of annoying, but not a big deal. I can't say I really liked this episode, but it wasn't a bad episode.
The PsiCorps arc is actually one of my favourites with Babylon 5...

M
Old September 9 2012, 10:06 AM   #270
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I hated A Human Reaction (it was discussed on whatever page of this thread where I first talked about it). I couldn't stand the episode, and I'd say it was definately the worst episode of the season to me, with Jeremiah Crichton a close second.

I might start Farscape season 2 soon, although I may wait until finishing Babylon 5 season 1. I've decided to watch all of Farscape Season 2 except "Taking the stone". An episode focusing on a character I really dislike is bad enough, but it seems like even people who like her hate the episode, for the most part, so its definately getting skipped. Whenever I start it will probably be like last season, no rush and maybe only an episode every few days, depending on my mood.
I'm still in utter disbelief of this! Not only is AHR a fan-favorite but it was the first episode that I absolutely thought was epic. To this day I still love rewatching that episode ... even out of context with the rest of Farscape.