Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 4 2012, 08:50 PM   #16
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Re: Episode a Week: Lonely Among Us

Jeyl wrote: View Post
captrek wrote: View Post
We're seeing intelligent purposeful behavior from the "essence" of a man who has left his brain far behind. Beaming him back from pure energy goes with the territory. Sometimes in Trek you just have to suspend reason.
Here's the problem with the suspension of reason for this particular episode. If the drama of the main story line is centered around elements that are understandable (i.e. Picard acting strangely, crew having doubts, a mysterious entity that can hide in anyone), and than have the climax resort to something that we cannot understand (Picard magically entering the Enterprise's systems), you are short changing the audience. Suspension of disbelief normally works when the whole story requires it, not when the story needs it to resolve an issue that didn't require it.
The whole story does require it. Think about the situation here. We have a "pure energy" Picard existing in the cloud, thinking, making decisions, taking action, taking advantage of his knowledge of the ship and the crew and communicating with them, all despite having disposed of his brain along with the rest of his body. Once we have accepted that it can do all that, I don't see it as much more of a leap to imagine it being reconstituted into "matter Picard" from a pattern left over in the transporter buffer.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 09:53 PM   #17
Mott the barber
Commodore

I see both arguments, but IMO using the transporter in this way is not as believable as, say, in "Relics" where they at least tried to explain that Scotty had set the buffer to loop the pattern.

Here, taking something out of "energy" seems more of a stretch.

"Unnatural Selection" with the transporter as "fountain of youth" was also sketchy at best.
Old September 7 2012, 04:12 AM   #18
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

Mott the barber wrote: View Post
I see both arguments, but IMO using the transporter in this way is not as believable as, say, in "Relics" where they at least tried to explain that Scotty had set the buffer to loop the pattern.

Here, taking something out of "energy" seems more of a stretch.

"Unnatural Selection" with the transporter as "fountain of youth" was also sketchy at best.
Don't really see it as a stretch, who knows what can be done a few centuries from now.

Our heroes spend a lot of time talking about how superior they are to the aliens and 20th-century humans, when all they’re really demonstrating is a complete failure to appreciate the challenges faced by these supposedly inferior beings.
Well, they are superior to 20th and 21st century humans, since I don't recall too many fucking each other over in the name of profit and percentages.
The meaning of the apocalypse is the opposite of what most people think. It does not mean the end of the world; it means the revealing of hidden secrets and the beginning of a heaven on earth. The apocalypse is starting now.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 08:10 AM   #19
Captrek
Rear Admiral

The Castellan wrote: View Post
Our heroes spend a lot of time talking about how superior they are to the aliens and 20th-century humans, when all they’re really demonstrating is a complete failure to appreciate the challenges faced by these supposedly inferior beings.
Well, they are superior to 20th and 21st century humans, since I don't recall too many fucking each other over in the name of profit and percentages.
There is little motive to fuck others over in the name of profit and percentages when all material needs and desires can easily be satisfied with a word to the replicator. It’s not moral superiority, it’s just good fortune.
Old September 8 2012, 12:31 PM   #20
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

There is little motive to fuck others over in the name of profit and percentages when all material needs and desires can easily be satisfied with a word to the replicator. It’s not moral superiority, it’s just good fortune.

Not really, I don't go around screwing people over, even it if made me a millionare. Dunno why some folks find such a concept of humanity actually being better such a bad thing.....one of those things I quite like about Trek, especially TNG. If you wanna see folks screw over other folks for profit, go watch all the Aliens films.
The meaning of the apocalypse is the opposite of what most people think. It does not mean the end of the world; it means the revealing of hidden secrets and the beginning of a heaven on earth. The apocalypse is starting now.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 07:02 PM   #21
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Not really, I don't go around screwing people over, even it if made me a millionare.
So what? Nobody suggested that everybody alive today screws other people over for money. Some people do, but they'd have little incentive to do it if they lived somewhere almost all material desires could be satisfied with a word and there is no such thing as money.

Dunno why some folks find such a concept of humanity actually being better such a bad thing.....
Dunno why you think anybody said that.