RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 513
Newest member: ragster

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 8 2012, 05:22 AM   #1
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Title Possibly Revealed?

While it's just a rumor, this is off Coming Soon:
Tomorrow, September 8th, marks the 46th anniversary of Gene Roddenberry's "Star Trek", but ComingSoon.net is celebrating a little early with a juicy rumor to share. We've been been told that the 2013 J.J. Abrams sequel has chosen a title and will hit theaters as Star Trek Into Darkness.

Although we have not yet been able to officially confirm said title, the domain names www.startrekintodarkness.com and www.startrekintodarknessmovie were both registered yesterday through Markmonitor, an anonymous domain registry service that just so happens to have been utilized by Paramount Pictures for recent URLs like their official G.I. Joe: Retaliation site.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=94526

If it's legit, I like it. It would also seem to fit with the rumors of
Old September 8 2012, 05:27 AM   #2
Mr_Homn
Captain

Re: Title Possibly Revealed?

Seems like a lame, not so subtle way of attaching itself to the current "everything has to be dark and gritty" phase the movie industry is going through.

Hope it's not the title.
Old September 8 2012, 05:33 AM   #3
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

sounds more like a game title than a movie title to be honest...

M
Old September 8 2012, 07:23 AM   #4
Oso Blanco
Commodore

I hope it's just a placeholder, or it will be the worst title a Star Trek movie ever had!
Old September 8 2012, 07:23 AM   #5
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

TrekMovie says they've confirmed it:

http://trekmovie.com/2012/09/07/excl...tle-confirmed/
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 09:53 AM   #6
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

God I hope that really isn't the title. What a lame, anti-climatic title that will be if it was true.
Old September 8 2012, 10:26 AM   #7
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

God...

I see it now... it'll be 'shortened' on forums and websites everywhere to STID... ugh

M
Old September 8 2012, 10:30 AM   #8
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

M'Sharak wrote: View Post

At one point I think they said they had confirmed Khan as the villain plus a Nimoy appearance and then they had to take it back. I wouldn't put too much stock in their "sources" until you see something official.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 03:40 PM   #9
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
M'Sharak wrote: View Post

At one point I think they said they had confirmed Khan as the villain plus a Nimoy appearance and then they had to take it back. I wouldn't put too much stock in their "sources" until you see something official.
I'm remembering that very thing, yes I am. It's also true, however, that TrekMovie had a reliability track record on the last movie which was hugely better than anyone else's, so I still tend to give their say-so a little more weight than most. Time will tell whether that trust is misplaced.

As an aside, just spotted this on Twitter:
@TrekMovie wrote:
Much of the debate over STAR TREK INTO
DARKNESS focuses on the lack of a colon.
#prooftrekkiesareanal
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 03:46 PM   #10
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ They did say that they wanted to avoid another title with a colon. This one sounds a little forced though, assuming it is the title.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 05:09 PM   #11
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Methos wrote: View Post
God...

I see it now... it'll be 'shortened' on forums and websites everywhere to STID... ugh

M
They should have just called it Darkness.
Old September 8 2012, 05:52 PM   #12
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
^ They did say that they wanted to avoid another title with a colon. This one sounds a little forced though, assuming it is the title.
It does. Honestly I assumed the title would be something Star Trek themed but without the words 'Star Trek', like Starship Enterprise or Captain Kirk or Khan or something, a bit like how the Nolan films abandoned 'Batman' altogether after the first feature and replaced it with a common nickname for the character.

Star Trek Into Darkness isn't a good title, and having a colon wouldn't change that, although I can sort of see what they're going for - a star trek into darkness, making the franchise name part of the title, rather than serving as basically a franchise label (leading to such incongruous names like Star Trek: Deep Space Nine).

So yeah, not wild about the title, but I did really enjoy the last Star Trek movie, (and I liked the titles of Star Trek: Nemesis and Star Trek: Insurrection, and look how those turned out) so we'll see. Or something.
Old September 8 2012, 07:43 PM   #13
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Ech!

Go back to Khan, please. All is forgiven. I like the Khan idea now, honest.

They should call it Star Trek: All You People Bitching About Khan, Are You Happy NOW?
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 07:45 PM   #14
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

You know, back in 1982, people probably complained that "The Wrath of Khan" sounded too pulpy . . .

"They're trying to turn STAR TREK into STAR WARS!"
Old September 8 2012, 07:47 PM   #15
Matt S
Lieutenant

Lets be honest, as a whole, the trek community is volatile, so NO title would satisfy the masses.