Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 7 2012, 05:58 PM   #106
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

^I'm assuming they were trying to make LaForge into that Cowboy type character in the first season because what we got from him in that season is so different than what came later. I'm glad they realized this wasn't working and turned him a bit more serious. I also think making him Chief Engineer was the best thing to happen to the character.
Old September 7 2012, 06:04 PM   #107
The Gentleman
Ensign

deleted

Last edited by The Gentleman; September 7 2012 at 06:51 PM. Reason: redundant
The Gentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 06:45 PM   #108
Mutai Sho-Rin

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Did you need to copy your previous post exactly?
Old September 7 2012, 06:51 PM   #109
The Gentleman
Ensign

Mutai Sho-Rin wrote: View Post
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Did you need to copy your previous post exactly?
No. And I'm not exactly sure how it happened in the first place. My apologies.
The Gentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 07:23 PM   #110
Kegg
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I'd rather see Contagion and The Royale myself.
I'll admit Royale's corny jokes are the kind of thing that'd get killer reactions in a good audience... but I'm good with the Borg and Data's rights.

(And yes "Contagion" is fun.)

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I'm looking forward to Season 2. Last night I finished with S1 and it was worth it.

In this respect I like TNG-R much better than TOS-R (and everyone knows TOS rules for me). Indeed in general I don't like TOS-R. I like TNG-R because it enhanced what was already there. The fixes were minor tweaks rather than wholesale changes. It is what it has always been only with improved colour and clarity.
I'd agree with that, and I don't even have a problem with TOS-R's CGI - I'm just more interested in what TNG-R is doing.

davejames wrote: View Post
While I still find this season a miss, it is an improvement in my view. The writing is a little sharper, the acting is better, the characters more defined, and the production is overall sharper (as it should get after its first year).
I'd argue that there are episodes in TNG's second season that can be considered among the best of the show's run. That's more than I could say for any episode of the first season, and I am fond of that year.

KNH wrote: View Post
I think he's referring to the, uh, supernatural sexual relief aid in book form that is currently trying to follow in Twilight's footsteps.
Well, that was the joke, wanting to see an adaption of the popular erotic novel and getting fifty showings of the Star Trek clip show episode.

Last edited by Kegg; September 8 2012 at 12:45 AM.
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 08:48 PM   #111
Mott the barber
Commodore

My favorite line form "Contagion":

Data: "Blue..Blue Blue"

Picard: "I hope that wasn't a stutter."
Old September 7 2012, 08:55 PM   #112
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Contagion is, in deed, a good episode. And, yeah, The Royale would make for a good crowd/"riffing" experience. It's an episode I enjoy as well. But, again, I think Q-Who and Measure of a Man are most likely. If not Q-Who then I'm not sure what, but Measure of a Man's extended edition I would say is almost a certainty.
Old September 7 2012, 09:42 PM   #113
Mr_Homn
Captain

Contagion is an amazing Episode.

It's really cool to see the enterprise's sister ship and I always wished we could see more of Captain Donald Varley. The guy who played him seemed like a fine actor! He made me care about him and his ship with a few logs.

I also always wanted to see more about the Iconians. They seemed like badasses. I haven't yet seen the DS9 episode that references them, but I plan on it soon. (Actually I probably did see it years ago but forgot all about it)
Old September 8 2012, 12:49 AM   #114
davejames
Vice Admiral

I remember loving Contagion as a kid, but watching it again a few months ago I thought it really kind of dragged for some reason.

It definitely has a great mood to it though, and I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like in HD.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 01:39 AM   #115
Biffette
Captain

Mott the barber wrote: View Post
Everyone take a step back and think about this for a second... Can you believe we're actually debating which episodes will be shown (in high def) on the big screen? (it will be Q Who? and Measure).
I'd rather see Contagion and The Royale myself.
Yes! That would be my ideal combo as well. But I think they will show the other two instead.
Biffette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 01:59 AM   #116
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Mr_Homn wrote: View Post

It's really cool to see the enterprise's sister ship and I always wished we could see more of Captain Donald Varley. The guy who played him seemed like a fine actor! He made me care about him and his ship with a few logs.

I also always wanted to see more about the Iconians. They seemed like badasses. I haven't yet seen the DS9 episode that references them, but I plan on it soon. (Actually I probably did see it years ago but forgot all about it)
From what little we see of the Yamato I like how it seemed like a crappier version of the Enterprise. It didn't have the wood railing and the Ready Room seemed a bit less posh.
Old September 8 2012, 02:09 AM   #117
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post

From what little we see of the Yamato I like how it seemed like a crappier version of the Enterprise. It didn't have the wood railing and the Ready Room seemed a bit less posh.

Don't forget that in the later seasons and DS9 we always saw the other galaxies with the Voyager bench seat.
tomswift2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 03:55 AM   #118
mswood
Rear Admiral

mswood wrote: View Post
One of the things I like about Season 2 is that it's a nice mixture: we were getting new ideas and new Trek adventures yet it still had something of a TOS resonance to it. Plus it was generally a lot more polished than S1.
...And as much as I love TOS, TNG shouldn't be TOS, and this season moves further away from TOS (especially the look), heck just in the costume department the break is huge.
I didn't say it was like TOS I said it resonated with it and nothing wrong with that. And as the franchise lost that resonance over time they also lost me as a viewer.

For me the early TNG seasons (1-4) were like that off-and-on, but then I didn't care anymore. There'd be the occasional decent DS9 episode and the rest was disposable. After that for me it ceased being Star Trek anymore, particularly VOY, ENT and ST09.
I was actually responding about the Stronger production elements of TNG over its second year, better realized characters, actors who have a far better idea of who those characters are thus stronger performances, better set dressing, an fx team that was vastly better suited for new fx, better week to week art design.

I mention the costume department due to the change from Theiss who's style was still very much similar TOS, too close for me.

And it's funny my whole family watched Trek from the original broadcast days of TOS, and the majority of my family found ENT to be the closest in spirit (generally I agree, though that doesn't mean I think the series is great, though I seem to like its first two seasons better then TNG first two seasons).

For myself, there are three episodes in the 2nd season that are good enough that I would actually recommend them to others (generally what i would call an A- or better episode) to view (which is an improvement to season one) and has about six other episodes I like, but have enough issues that make me keep them in the above average to to fair category.
Old September 8 2012, 11:49 AM   #119
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

It did have the wood railing.
Old September 8 2012, 10:21 PM   #120
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

It did have the wood railing.
It did, but it was covered by a gray/green blanket or fabric. I always found that very odd:

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...ntagion008.jpg