Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old September 7 2012, 02:31 AM   #16
Andymator
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Help me select a ship

Ahhh okay, I didn't know about the fan schematics version, I just remembered the version from the DC comics being all wierd and vague heheheh. That totally gave me an idea for another thread in the art forum though!

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Andymator wrote: View Post
Interestingly though, I don't remember the Hornet resembling the Ambassador class at all... Where does that come from?

The Ambassador class is damn cool though.
I've never seen the U.S.S. Hornet so I can't really comment on that.

But going by the fan schematics here:
The saucer and engineering hull are similar to the Ambassador-Class, though on a smaller scale. There is some familial resemblance between the two classes, not surprising given they were developed at the same time.
Andymator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 04:34 AM   #17
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

We'll see how it goes, still working out the loose ends of the comic, plus working on a custom ship for another set of characters, though I got no 3D model making experience, maybe I could butter up Madman or someone to take a shot at it, especially if they enjoy a challange.
The meaning of the apocalypse is the opposite of what most people think. It does not mean the end of the world; it means the revealing of hidden secrets and the beginning of a heaven on earth. The apocalypse is starting now.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 05:41 AM   #18
Wingsley
Commodore

It isn't clear to me which era your story would be taking place in. TOS? TMP? Post-TMP? Pre-TNG? TNG? DS9/VOY? Post-VOY?

It's easiest in most of these eras to suggestion a Constellation-class vessel, which would seem to be a new design in roughly the TMP era. If your story were set in TOS/TAS or TMP, you might want to look at a Miranda variant (one without the torpedo "roll bar").

It was never clear to me what era the Centaur-class vessels came from, maybe post-TMP. Depending on the era of your story, one of these might be ideal.
Old September 7 2012, 07:06 AM   #19
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

Wingsley wrote: View Post
It isn't clear to me which era your story would be taking place in. TOS? TMP? Post-TMP? Pre-TNG? TNG? DS9/VOY? Post-VOY?

It's easiest in most of these eras to suggestion a Constellation-class vessel, which would seem to be a new design in roughly the TMP era. If your story were set in TOS/TAS or TMP, you might want to look at a Miranda variant (one without the torpedo "roll bar").

It was never clear to me what era the Centaur-class vessels came from, maybe post-TMP. Depending on the era of your story, one of these might be ideal.
The stories begin 10 years after Nemesis.
The meaning of the apocalypse is the opposite of what most people think. It does not mean the end of the world; it means the revealing of hidden secrets and the beginning of a heaven on earth. The apocalypse is starting now.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 02:02 AM   #20
Wingsley
Commodore

Why not use an Intrepid-class (Voyager) vessel, or a post-VOY derivative?

Fast, armed, obviously capable of exploration, modest-sized crew, kind of a post-TNG analogue to the TOS Enterprise, but definitely not a battleship.
Old September 8 2012, 03:37 PM   #21
MasterArminas
Commander

Wingsley wrote: View Post
Why not use an Intrepid-class (Voyager) vessel, or a post-VOY derivative?

Fast, armed, obviously capable of exploration, modest-sized crew, kind of a post-TNG analogue to the TOS Enterprise, but definitely not a battleship.
Or an Andromeda class. A precursor to the Intrepids.

MA
MasterArminas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 01:15 AM   #22
Captain2395
Lieutenant

I always envisaged that by post-Nemesis era Soveriegns would have replaced Excelsiors, Novas replaced Oberth and maybe only the Constellation-class of the TOS Movie era would be around.

Some of the semi-canon ships are interesting but others are frankly repulsive.

Personally, I think Intrepid class is a great choice. I think its a class of ship that would have become dated and so would go out of production quickly but would likely still be in service.

I wouldn't think many Intrepid-class ships would have been built. The retractable nacelles I thought were Starfleets response to the subspace damage caused by warp drive and I would assume that since later classes e.g. Sovereign, Akira etc... were built with fixed nacelles that warp drives had been improved.

Also, an Intrepid class ship that stayed in the Alpha Quadrant (unlike Voyager) would probably have quite a history. It could have been through the Dominion War, for example, so it would have history.

Only other suggestion would be to look at the other classes of ships that featured in the Battle of Sector 001 in First Contact. Could go with a Sabre-class, Norway-class or Steamrunner-class?
Captain2395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 09:18 AM   #23
Tiberius
Commodore

How about a Miranda class? We know there are still plenty of them around. And they are an adaptable ship, being used for science missions (Reliant) as well as battle missions, as seen in DS9.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 03:57 PM   #24
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Tiberius wrote: View Post
How about a Miranda class? We know there are still plenty of them around. And they are an adaptable ship, being used for science missions (Reliant) as well as battle missions, as seen in DS9.
You really can't beat the Miranda-Class. It really does seem to be one of Starfleet's most robust and hardy designs.
Old September 28 2012, 04:50 PM   #25
Maxillius
Lieutenant Commander

10 years after Nemesis will make an Akira up to 15 years old, which in the 2370s and -80s is just broken in.

An Akira canh have sensors in place of the torpedo pod and still fight her way out of any jam.
Maxillius is offline   Reply With Quote