RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,578
Posts: 5,403,115
Members: 24,865
Currently online: 489
Newest member: shyrim

TrekToday headlines

October-November 2014 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Cho Selfie TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

TPTB To Shatner: Shhh!
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 8 2012, 01:05 AM   #211
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters
 
OmahaStar's Avatar
 
Location: OmahaStar
View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
Re: 50TH Anniversary rumor

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
The Sixth Doctor is one of my favorites.
Pretty much love that comment.
__________________
"Sorry. Wrong movie, buddy."
OmahaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 01:11 AM   #212
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine
 
Methos's Avatar
 
Location: Hiding under Gaila's bed...
View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos
Re: 50TH Anniversary rumor

also, i'd love to see Tennant return... but not as The Doctor...

Nah... I want to see Tennant return as the meta-crisis Doctor... coming back from the parallel world after Rose's death to reclaim his regenerations and his life, back from The Doctor...

Now calling himself The Valeyard after Rose's death, The Doctor must battle him for their remaining regenerations, as The Valeyard is the one person now who could undo everything The Doctor has done... the one person The Doctor can't lie to, and the one person who knows all of The Doctor's secrets...

To me, that would be an amazing arc... seeing Tennant come back as the villain would cause so many fangirl heads to explode it would be amazing... and would be a fantastic tie-in to the classic episodes to actually give an explanation for the Valeyard's 'birth'.

M
__________________
In Russia, a 122 year old man has passed away, he credited his long life to abtaining from alcohol, tobacco and women. His last words were "I've made a huge mistake."
Methos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 03:18 AM   #213
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: 50TH Anniversary rumor

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
Even if the CGI was good enough (which, judging by Tron Legacy, it isn't yet), I think it would be kind of missing the point.

The fun of the idea is getting to see the actual, original actors together in the same room.
This.

It's science fiction... science fantasy... whatever label you want, there is a creative solution as to why the "Doctor" has aged even though he "regenerated." I thought it was brilliant hand waving in Time Crash.

It doesn't matter that they've aged--of COURSE they've aged, they are REAL people. I want to see them performing together.

I just don't get the overwhelming need for veracity in a show like this. It's about a guy who travels in a box through space and time. Some things you just accept.

And why not accept a slightly older 6th Doctor?

BUT--I do wonder if that's the direction they are going to go. Do you make a love letter to the fans of the series as a WHOLE, or make it more about the show as it is now?
This is essentially how I feel, which is why I'm against recasting the former Doctors. Yes, Hurndall did better than I expected in The Five Doctors, but I think it better they not bother recasting the first three Doctors and only stick with the actual actors for the rest.

Methos wrote: View Post
also, i'd love to see Tennant return... but not as The Doctor...

Nah... I want to see Tennant return as the meta-crisis Doctor... coming back from the parallel world after Rose's death to reclaim his regenerations and his life, back from The Doctor...

Now calling himself The Valeyard after Rose's death, The Doctor must battle him for their remaining regenerations, as The Valeyard is the one person now who could undo everything The Doctor has done... the one person The Doctor can't lie to, and the one person who knows all of The Doctor's secrets...

To me, that would be an amazing arc... seeing Tennant come back as the villain would cause so many fangirl heads to explode it would be amazing... and would be a fantastic tie-in to the classic episodes to actually give an explanation for the Valeyard's 'birth'.

M
IDW already used the idea of meta-crisis Doctor becoming the Valeyard. Well, sort of. For further info, see The Forgotten.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 03:19 AM   #214
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine
 
Methos's Avatar
 
Location: Hiding under Gaila's bed...
View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos
Re: 50TH Anniversary rumor

yeah i've read it... it wasn't the meta-crisis Doctor, but turned out to be something else...

M
__________________
In Russia, a 122 year old man has passed away, he credited his long life to abtaining from alcohol, tobacco and women. His last words were "I've made a huge mistake."
Methos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 05:05 AM   #215
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: 50TH Anniversary rumor

davejames wrote: View Post
Peacemaker wrote: View Post
I'm just gonna say this...of all of them, it's McGann I want to see again the most. He only had the one shot on screen, and, of them all, he should have the opportunity to be seen as the Doctor onscreen again on the BBC in the actual proper BBC Doctor Who, not just the collaborative TV movie. Let him get his proper chance to shine again. There's really not a Doctor I complete dislike. Some I like more than others, obviously - that's true of most if not all of us..but there is one actor for whom I feel kinda sorry, and it's him. I hope that gets remedied.
I'd love to see McGann again too, but to be honest I think that would be more fitting for a regular season episode.

For the 50th Anniversary, I think I'd rather see them highlight Doctors who had a bigger and more longer-lasting impact on the series.

Plus, with only one story to his name (that most people have really heard of), there just isn't much to work with as far as the Eighth Doctor's character goes.
I disagree, because he was on a Regeneration story, that didn't allow him to have his unique personality, the Audios can be drawn upon by Paul McGann to "instantly"put The Doctor's character into the appearance, IMHO, OC
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 04:29 PM   #216
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain
 
Green Lantern's Avatar
 
Location: The bad of whoever pays for the night.
Re: 50TH Anniversary rumor

davejames wrote: View Post
Aldo wrote: View Post
I know they aren't going to want to repeat past specials, but I think having another "Five Doctors" would be brilliant, give us Seven up till the Present Doctor all working together, I'd also love each Doctor to have his companion along: Seven with Ace, Eight with Grace, Nine and Rose, Ten with Martha (or Donna), and Eleven with Clara (or whatever her name ends up being).

That would be my ideal lineup, at least.
I think that would be overkill myself, and too much like the crazy and overcrowded Journey's End.

I'd rather just team up Smith with Tennant and maybe one classic Doctor like McCoy (who frankly doesn't look all that different than he did in the '96 movie), and watch those three interact and go on a fun little adventure together.

Leave all the hundreds of companions out of it.
I loved Journeys end. One of Tennants best. I don't understand how anyone can dislike journeys end, but like amys choice.
Peacemaker wrote: View Post
I'm just gonna say this...of all of them, it's McGann I want to see again the most. He only had the one shot on screen, and, of them all, he should have the opportunity to be seen as the Doctor onscreen again on the BBC in the actual proper BBC Doctor Who, not just the collaborative TV movie. Let him get his proper chance to shine again. There's really not a Doctor I complete dislike. Some I like more than others, obviously - that's true of most if not all of us..but there is one actor for whom I feel kinda sorry, and it's him. I hope that gets remedied.
Yeah, out of all of them, I'd choose McGann to return seeing he had less than one episode on the air, and he's one of my favourates.
Methos wrote: View Post
also, i'd love to see Tennant return... but not as The Doctor...

Nah... I want to see Tennant return as the meta-crisis Doctor... coming back from the parallel world after Rose's death to reclaim his regenerations and his life, back from The Doctor...

Now calling himself The Valeyard after Rose's death, The Doctor must battle him for their remaining regenerations, as The Valeyard is the one person now who could undo everything The Doctor has done... the one person The Doctor can't lie to, and the one person who knows all of The Doctor's secrets...

To me, that would be an amazing arc... seeing Tennant come back as the villain would cause so many fangirl heads to explode it would be amazing... and would be a fantastic tie-in to the classic episodes to actually give an explanation for the Valeyard's 'birth'.

M
As much as I'd like to see Tennant return as the doctor, I also LOVE that idea! Plus it would explain alot. I'd love to see the Valeyards birth. I'd love to see Tennant regenerate into Smith then someone who looks like the valeyard from the trial of a timelord. It would explain alot, plus out of all the clasic series villians I'd like to see return, the valeyard's at the top of my list. And it would be a very different story from any others.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 07:44 PM   #217
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: 50TH Anniversary rumor

Satyrquaze wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
I hope you don't feel I was singling you out, that wasn't my intent. The Sixth Doctor is one of my favorites and also, sadly, one of the more disliked, and Colin has probably changed the most, so I just picked him.
I didn't feel terribly singled out. In fairness, Six is not one of my personal favorites. I found his blatant egotism a bit off-putting. But I don't blame Colin Baker himself for for how his character was written. That fact that he has really changed the most is basically why I mentioned him by name.
lol. 6's blatant egotism is one of the reason I liked him. Marching into the middle of the conflict, head high... AND he was the smartest man in the room 99% of the time.

I just wish his stories were better written. Oy.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 11:19 PM   #218
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral
 
The Borgified Corpse's Avatar
 
Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: 50TH Anniversary rumor

While there's been a lot of talk about bringing back old actors, what about bringing back some of the old writers like Terrance Dicks, Christopher H. Bidmead, Eric Saward, & Andrew Cartmel.

Methos wrote: View Post
also, i'd love to see Tennant return... but not as The Doctor...

Nah... I want to see Tennant return as the meta-crisis Doctor... coming back from the parallel world after Rose's death to reclaim his regenerations and his life, back from The Doctor...

Now calling himself The Valeyard after Rose's death, The Doctor must battle him for their remaining regenerations, as The Valeyard is the one person now who could undo everything The Doctor has done... the one person The Doctor can't lie to, and the one person who knows all of The Doctor's secrets...
No, no, the meta-crisis Doctor grew old, had a granddaughter, built his own TARDIS, and starred in the Peter Cushing movies. (Bernard Cribbins' character is actually one of Wilf's descendants in the parallel universe.)

Methos wrote: View Post
To me, that would be an amazing arc... seeing Tennant come back as the villain would cause so many fangirl heads to explode it would be amazing.
That would probably be super-obnoxious. To them, it would be combining the best elements of David Tennant with Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
No doubt the tabloids will be camped outside for when they film the 50th Anniversary episode(s) ready to take pictures. Of who will likely be in it.

So no doubt who's in it will leak long before the episode airs.
It would be a nice mindf$%k if they made some people up to look like all the earlier Doctors and trotted them past those cameras.

The only question is, how many fans' heads would explode?
It's a way of culling the excess fan population.

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Do you make a love letter to the fans of the series as a WHOLE, or make it more about the show as it is now?
No question you make it a love letter to fans of the series as a whole, since we're celebrating the 50th anniversary of the premiere of the original show in 1963. If you want to just center on the new series, you'd only have to wait a couple more years for the 10th anniversary of the premiere of the Christopher Eccleston series in 2005.

Personally, I think more should be done to educate the new fans on the show's rich history. Whenever I see any of these new retrospective specials on BBC America, I get frustrated that they mostly seem to be pedantic rehashes of the plots of episodes that most fans already know. Now, I suppose the real purpose of these specials is to educate the super-new fans who've never seen anything before. But still, I think specials like that would be a good way of giving new-series fans a good overview of the classic series; particularly for the new fans who don't have the patience to sit through the glacial pacing of most of the classic series.
__________________
Kegg: "You're a Trekkie. The capacity to quibble over the minutiae of space opera films is your birthright."
The Borgified Corpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 01:02 AM   #219
Aldo
Admiral
 
Aldo's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere Out there beneath the pale moonlight.
Re: 50TH Anniversary rumor

It was the new series that got me into Classic Who.

I think the low production values and the way the show is shot turns off a lot of people looking into the Classic series. It's never been a problem for me though, I think the stories are so rich and full of wonderful moments that it overshadows the look of the show.
__________________
Don't believe everything I say.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 01:20 AM   #220
DWF
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: 50TH Anniversary rumor

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Do you make a love letter to the fans of the series as a WHOLE, or make it more about the show as it is now?
No question you make it a love letter to fans of the series as a whole, since we're celebrating the 50th anniversary of the premiere of the original show in 1963. If you want to just center on the new series, you'd only have to wait a couple more years for the 10th anniversary of the premiere of the Christopher Eccleston series in 2005.

Personally, I think more should be done to educate the new fans on the show's rich history. Whenever I see any of these new retrospective specials on BBC America, I get frustrated that they mostly seem to be pedantic rehashes of the plots of episodes that most fans already know. Now, I suppose the real purpose of these specials is to educate the super-new fans who've never seen anything before. But still, I think specials like that would be a good way of giving new-series fans a good overview of the classic series; particularly for the new fans who don't have the patience to sit through the glacial pacing of most of the classic series.
This has bugged me about those specials as well and all the gushing about the new series and Matt Smith in general in those makes me wonder how those same commentators would react to seeing how the past Doctors reacted in similar conditions.
__________________
The greatest science fiction series of all time is
Doctor Who! And I'll take you all on, one-by-one
or all in a bunch to back it up!"
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 01:25 AM   #221
Aldo
Admiral
 
Aldo's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere Out there beneath the pale moonlight.
Re: 50TH Anniversary rumor

I'm currently working my way through series 1 of nuWho. And one thing that I've come to realize is Eccleston is a real standout as the Doctor. To me Tennant just overshadowed him when he showed up, so I had kind of forgotten how cool Nine really is.

I know it's a longshot, but I'd love to see him come back, just to see how he'd interact with his more siller successors.
__________________
Don't believe everything I say.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 09:38 AM   #222
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: feeling a chill...
Re: 50TH Anniversary rumor

In many ways it would be easier to just have old companions show up, because at least then the fact that they've aged poses no problems what so ever. I hope we get to see some older Doctors (heck I want to see all of them) but I'd also love to see a clutch of companions from across the show's history.
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Guardians of the Galaxy review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 05:04 AM   #223
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral
 
Kelthaz's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Re: 50TH Anniversary rumor

I know that this will never happen, but here is my dream for the 50th anniversary. The season première is a generic episode involving the 11th Doctor, when, after saving the day with about 10 minutes remaining, the White Guardian appears and tasks the Doctor with teaming up with his previous selves to combat the Black Guardian. Each of the following 10 episodes, starting with the 10th Doctor and ending with the 1st, will have Matt Smith taking part in an adventure alongside that Doctor and his companion(s) in the style of that Doctor's era. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Doctors will have already been killed by the Black Guardian and only their companions (Ian/Susan and Jamie/Zoe and Jo/UNIT) will take part in that episode.

That takes up 11 episodes. In the two part finale, the companions are ditched and the 8 Doctors (4 to 11) team up to save all of creation from the Black Guardian.
__________________
"Who are you?! And how did you get in here?!"

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 05:51 AM   #224
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: 50TH Anniversary rumor

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
I know that this will never happen, but here is my dream for the 50th anniversary. The season première is a generic episode involving the 11th Doctor, when, after saving the day with about 10 minutes remaining, the White Guardian appears and tasks the Doctor with teaming up with his previous selves to combat the Black Guardian. Each of the following 10 episodes, starting with the 10th Doctor and ending with the 1st, will have Matt Smith taking part in an adventure alongside that Doctor and his companion(s) in the style of that Doctor's era. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Doctors will have already been killed by the Black Guardian and only their companions (Ian/Susan and Jamie/Zoe and Jo/UNIT) will take part in that episode.

That takes up 11 episodes. In the two part finale, the companions are ditched and the 8 Doctors (4 to 11) team up to save all of creation from the Black Guardian.
I'm on board with this myself, I didn't go so far as defining a story, but, I too have envisioned how great I think it would be to have a Series long Arc (bringing in an "Era group" an episode [or 2 groups for a 2 parter?]), culminating in the Anniversary Special

I'd be OK with it being either the Series 8 Climax, or even as the first part of a 3 parter (If there's 2 regular episodes after the Anniversary)
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 02:24 PM   #225
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: 50TH Anniversary rumor

Another thing that's occurred to me that I'd like to see is that they should cast David & Michael Troughton and Sean Pertwee - and a surviving descendant of Hartnell - in the anniversary show. Not as The Doctor, or even as anyone related to him, but just in general roles within the episode...
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: Coyote Moon (Jon Vornholt)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.